Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Yankees Off Season Thread

That's pinhead for you!

Is CC really still under contract? He had a rebound season but you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    That's pinhead for you!

Is CC really still under contract? He had a rebound season but you never know!
    CC makes $25M this year and then becomes a FA.

Holliday ($13M), Pineda ($7.4M) and Clippard ($6.2M) will also hit free agency next winter.

Headley ($13M) will be a FA after 2018.

And Arod's money comes off the books too after 2017. You figure we spent $18 mil on Chapman, $13 mil on Holliday and $3.5 mil on Carter. We dumped $13 mil per year of McCann and dropped Teixeira's $22 mil and Miller's $9 per year. Chapman was making $10 mil before we dealt him, so that's really an $8 mil raise. With arb raises, 2017 is likely to be a bit cheaper ($15 mil or so). But after 2017, ARod, Holliday, and CC fall off. After 2018, McCann's other $5 mil plus Gardner and Healdey come off. We have a lot of expiring contracts with not a lot of expenses. We can return to spending next offseason and still stay under. By 2019, we will be able to spend like drunken sailors again

If Tanaka doesn't opt out, our starting salary after the WS 2017 will be $115 mil which includes McCann's dead money. Factoring in arb raises, we're probably looking close to $122 mil. That leaves $75 million in lux tax room.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    And Arod's money comes off the books too after 2017. You figure we spent $18 mil on Chapman, $13 mil on Holliday and $3.5 mil on Carter. We dumped $13 mil per year of McCann and dropped Teixeira's $22 mil and Miller's $9 per year. Chapman was making $10 mil before we dealt him, so that's really an $8 mil raise. With arb raises, 2017 is likely to be a bit cheaper ($15 mil or so). But after 2017, ARod, Holliday, and CC fall off. After 2018, McCann's other $5 mil plus Gardner and Healdey come off. We have a lot of expiring contracts with not a lot of expenses. We can return to spending next offseason and still stay under. By 2019, we will be able to spend like drunken sailors again
    Finally, a light at the end of the financial tunnel of despair.

You've actually shed enough to be getting a lot of indirect light from that tunnel's end.

If Tanaka doesn't opt out, our starting salary after the WS 2017 will be $115 mil which includes McCann's dead money. Factoring in arb raises, we're probably looking close to $122 mil. That leaves $75 million in lux tax room.
    God, I remember some on the old board wanted us to sign McAnn.

Hijole!

Doesn't opt out? That only happens if he get hurt.

Doesn't opt out? That only happens if he gets hurt.
    True.

$67M/3 is pretty easy to beat in today's market for high-end starting pitchers.

Even, if he gets hurt, he'd probably still get more than that, unless his arm falls off.

All-Star
    Spending like drunken fools has not worked for the Yankees, not sure they are going down that road again. Might sign a couple free agents in next couple years to go with there young core, but do not see them going overboard.

Fisk, spending kept us in the playoff hunt after our original team got old and gray. Thing is, spending was needed to surround our core. This current group is developing some talent. My hope is a new core can come of Torres, Sanchez, Bird, Frazier, Judge etc

Fisk, spending kept us in the playoff hunt after our original team got old and gray. Thing is, spending was needed to surround our core. This current group is developing some talent. My hope is a new core can come of Torres, Sanchez, Bird, Frazier, Judge etc
    It will be interesting to see how much the Yankees spend in the next 2-3 years. You will always need to sign some free agents to fill in the holes, but no team should ever have to have as many high priced free agents on it as the Yankees have had recently.

I think it depends on how successful they are. If the Yankees do not get to the World Series soon, I think they will revert to their old spending ways.

Goose Gossage should learn to keep his opinions to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It will be interesting to see how much the Yankees spend in the next 2-3 years. You will always need to sign some free agents to fill in the holes, but no team should ever have to have as many high priced free agents on it as the Yankees have had recently.

I think it depends on how successful they are. If the Yankees do not get to the World Series soon, I think they will revert to their old spending ways.
    didn't they spent the most this offseason of any team?

didn't they spent the most this offseason of any team?
    The Yankees? Unless I missed something, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Yankees? Unless I missed something, I don't think so.
    They gave Chapman $86M, Holliday $13M, and Carter $3M. That's spending. Whether it is the most or not is not important, the back to spending ways as you allude to is already happening.