Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees Off Season Thread

All-Star

Yankees Off Season Thread

Well I hate to say we're done, but the season is over. It was actually a pretty memorable one though. Here's some thing I'd love to see the Yankees do this winter.

I'd look into trading McCann to the Nationals actually. I think he'd be a good fit there and they would be more in favor of taking on salary. I don't think Ramos resigns with them. Braves could be a factor too.

I'd try to trade Ellsbury, but I doubt anyone will take him or CC. So we're just kind of stuck with them.

I'd deal Tanaka and Castro for Bellinger, De Leon, Sheffield, and Farmer.

I'd deal Judge, Mateo, and Tyler Webb for Jon Gray and David Hill.

I'd deal Brett Gardner to the Nats for Fedde or the Indians for McKenzie.

I'd deal Romine to the Giants for Matt Krook.

I'd sign Chapman for 5/82 million. Obviously a high number but I think thats what he'll end up getting. I mean if it's less than awesome.

I'd be down to resign Butler for 500K or even Beltran for $12million

Starting lineup would be

CF: Ellsbury
    SS: Didi
    1B: Bird
    C: Sanchez
    DH: Butler/Beltran
    3B: Headley
    RF: Hicks
    2B: Refsnyder
    LF: Williams/Austin

Bench: Higgy, Torreyes, Austin/Williams, & maybe a ST battle for the last spot on the bench.

Rotation: CC, Pineda, Gray, Servino, & De Leon
    Bullpen: Chapman, Betances, Clippard, Warren, Sherve, ST Battle, and Mitchell.

We'd have a strong group in Triple-A with Bellinger, Frazier, Cessa, Montgomery, and Green, plus another army of BP arms. I'd like to offer a minor league contrac to Hundley and Mathis maybe one of them will take it. Pair them with Farmer behind the plate down there.

Is this team a world series contender in 2017? No, but this could be a really fun team to watch. With great flexibility. The payroll would be around 150-160 million so we could always take on a salary in a payroll dump to improve at any spot too. If we don't preform well, we could trade off Clippard, Pineda, and even Butler or Warren and Headley at the deadline to gather more prospects.

I forgot, I'd sign Lourdes too.
    Last edited by Meh; 09-26-2016 at 03:50 PM.

That's all crazy talk Meh. Dealing Tanaka would crush our rotation.

Btw Gary Sanchez has the highest WAR of any rookie this season. He surpassed Fulmer just now at 3.2

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    That's all crazy talk Meh. Dealing Tanaka would crush our rotation.
    We talked about this in another thread, but that's just what I'd do. We all got different opinions.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Is Sabathia coming back next year? Is he going to retire at some point before he collapses into a singularity?
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

CC had a damn good year. He's got a player option that will automatically vest as he didn't spend time on the DL for a shoulder issue. He'll return for one more year

Austin proved to be a nice find. The kid was a top prospect, hurt his wrist, fell off the radar and then re-emerged this yr in what was probably his last chance. He dominated AA and AAA then came up in August. Hit a first AB HR then sucked for the rest of August. He turned it on in Sept with a .286/.375/.571 line. He should be in our plans for next yr. He is versatile, has a good eye, and had power to all fields, especially to RF.
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Austin proved to be a nice find. The kid was a top prospect, hurt his wrist, fell off the radar and then re-emerged this yr in what was probably his last chance. He dominated AA and AAA then came up in August. Hit a first AB HR then sucked for the rest of August. He turned it on in Sept with a .286/.375/.571 line. He should be in our plans for next yr. He is versatile, has a good eye, and had power to all fields, especially to RF.
    Yeah, he's a nice bat, but I wouldn't count on him to be a huge part of the season. He's a nice backup to Judge in RF and Bird at 1B though. I wouldn't hurt their development for Austin. We just need to keep making smart moves. Yankees AFL roster is a must follow too. Slowly building a very nice team with impressive depth.

Austin is a right handed batter with a RF power stroke. He can hit for average, steal bases, and take walks. If he stays healthy, he can be a starting caliber player on a big league club. I would rather see him hitting than McCann, to be totally honest. McCann is still a good catcher, but he is done as a C in NY with Sanchez there. I want to see McCann dealt off to where he could start. I would also like to see Romine dealt off and promote Higashioka as a backup C.
    Hal sucks

McCann is over rated.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

6.7 WAR over 3 years. Fangraphs has him worth $53 mil over his 3 yrs in pinstripes. That's just $1 mil below his contract amount and that's with him not catching for 2 months this year. We won't be able to offload the entirety of the contract, but if we eat some cash, we should get a decent return. There are a lot of no offense catchers out there, and while McCann isn't an offensive juggernaut, he does being OBP and power

6.7 WAR over 3 years. Fangraphs has him worth $53 mil over his 3 yrs in pinstripes. That's just $1 mil below his contract amount and that's with him not catching for 2 months this year. We won't be able to offload the entirety of the contract, but if we eat some cash, we should get a decent return. There are a lot of no offense catchers out there, and while McCann isn't an offensive juggernaut, he does being OBP and power
    I did not state that he was worthless. I just remember Sox fans clamoring to go get him as if he were the missing link.

I don't thing he is THAT great.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

hahahahahah. yankees have won like 324 world series titles and exactly ZERO whilst mattingly played is 14 seasons from 82-95.

In August 1991, Yankees management ordered the team captain to cut his hair shorter. He refused, was benched by manager Stump Merrill, and fined $250, including $100 for every subsequent day that he didn't cut his hair. "I'm overwhelmed by the pettiness of it," Mattingly told reporters. "To me, long hair is down my back, touching my collar. I don't feel my hair is messy."
    Six months later, when "Homer at the Bat" aired, Mattingly's storyline centered around Mr. Burns's insane interpretation of his first baseman's "sideburns." Mattingly is booted from the team, muttering as he walks away, "I still like him better than Steinbrenner."
    other names i have posted under: none

btw - mccann sucks. how many rings he have?
    other names i have posted under: none

By that determination, Mookie Betts sucks since he has no rings, right?

Yankees getting into the mess of the hot stove.

Sounds like NYY have hit a snag in their potential deal with Houston over McCann. He is owed $36 mil over the next 2 yrs and has a full NT clause, although he said he would waive it if it was closer to his home in Atlanta. Regardless, I still think this guy gets moved. 20HR catchers who play solid D don't grow on trees and the Yankees have made it clear they'd cover half his salary to get a good prospect return back.

The Yankees have put Headley out there as a trade candidate. He had an abysmal April, but outside of April, he hit .265/.332/.417 which is pretty good for a 3b who plays really good D. Somehow he eeked out a 2.6 WAR per fangraphs and at $13 mil for 2 more seasons, he may find a bidder.

Gardner has been a name out there for awhile on the trade front, but to this point, no bites. He has totaled 5WAR over the past 2 seasons and can play CF, but his defense has trailed off as have his SBs as father time robs some of his speed. He is still a top of the order bat with his .350+OBP and still plus speed, but he showed a regression in his power last yr as well. If the Yankees are to deal him, this is the offseason and they might even have to eat a bit of cash as he's got $26 mil left on his contract. And while he and Headley have the exact same amount of money, years and prior season's WAR, it's a whole lot easier to find a solid LFer than it is a solid 3B.

I have read that the Yankees are back in on Beltran, which makes absolutely no sense. He hit the shit out of the ball last yr and ended up being a good 3 yr deal for us, but he is 40 and is probably getting a multi year deal. I would hope Cash learned his lesson on those.
    Hal sucks