Page 124 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    the analogy is like comparing apples to assholes
    lol!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Ben has no control of anything with the Red Sox.
    I meant DD. Thanks for catching my boo boo. I went back and edited.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I can see how my response looked like I supported the post on the Beckett trade, but it was not intended as such.

I give credit to Theo for that deal. I don't think they make it, if Theo was against it.
    The rumor was that Theo was against it. I could be mistaken, but I thought Bill Lajoie promoted that trade.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

When you make an analogy, that doesn't mean that the situations are supposed to be exactly alike.

The basic idea of balancing both the short term and long terms goals is very valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    When you make an analogy, that doesn't mean that the situations are supposed to be exactly alike.

The basic idea of balancing both the short term and long terms goals is very valid.
    It was a very faulty analogy.

lol.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Come on folks, it's almost Christmas, let's be a little more charitable toward each other. Kimmi's analogy may not have been perfect, but it doesn't warrant such abuse. It's like partisan politics here. You Americans are such hard-asses.

I called it faulty and poor. Does that make someone want to curl up into the fetal position?

With Papi retired, does anybody else see the idea of moving Pedey down in the order as a way to lengthen our line-up?

Of course, this is assuming Beni can win the lead off slot. Here's my reasoning:

1) Pedey's base running skills are not what they used to be. Only Papi had a worse Sox base running score on fangraphs than Pedey.
    2) Bogey seems like the perfect number 2 hitter to me.
    3) In small sample sizes Pedey actually has done very well from the 3 slot (.802 in 1226 PAs) and the 4 slot (1.054 in 152 PAs).
    4) His 5 slot numbers (.750) aren't much worse than his 1 slot numbers (.770).

Assuming Beni is ready to lead off, I like this line-up:

1) Beni
    2) Bogey
    3) Betts
    4) HanRam
    5) Pedey
    6) JBJ v R/Young v L
    7) Pablo v R/JBJ v L
    8) Moreland v R/Pablo or Holt v L
    9) Leon-Vaz

Your thoughts?

People here simply want to sweep under the rug Bogey's struggle over the last two months of 2016. He is not deserving of #2 spot.
    I'd prefer keeping Pedey leading off and Beni batting 2nd.

But most including Sox mgmt probably think that #2 is good spot for Xander. I have my concerns.

I also think Moreland should move up, #8 looks too low to me.
    Last edited by Nick; 12-19-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    People here simply want to sweep under the rug Bogey's struggle over the last two months of 2016. He is not deserving of #2 spot.
    I'd prefer keeping Pedey leading off and Beni batting 2nd.

But most including Sox mgmt probably think that #2 is good spot for Xander. I have my concerns.

I also think Moreland should move up, #8 looks too low to me.
    I'd be fine with Beni 1st and Pedey 2nd, but I think Boegy will have a better OBP than Pedey next year, and he's a better base runner. I also think Pedey will have a higher SLG% than Bogey.

I'm not any more worried about Bogey's last two months than Pedey's last few years before 2016.

I could see flipping Moreland and Panda (7 & 8) but not ahead of JBJ vs RHPs.

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger believer in Panda, I guess- hoping he doesn't burn me.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets involved in these pissing contests.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

So who do we pick with our #26 pick? Let the future rebuild begin.

Picking Trey Ball was good decision. Sometimes going out on the limb gets you exactly what you deserve. Limb breaks off and then gravity kicks your ass.

I am optimistic about last year's picks. I think there are some high ceiling kids that no one is talking about.
    Last edited by Nick; 12-19-2016 at 10:24 PM.

I am optimistic about last year's picks. I think there are some high ceiling kids that no one is talking about.

I'm hopeful on Chatham & Dalbec, maybe Shawaryn. Groome is looking like a good pick, but it's early.

I'm not expecting a 12th pick like Groom to be available next year at #24, and even lower picks will be 12 picks lower next year.

I'm more hopeful with internationsl picks, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    With Papi retired, does anybody else see the idea of moving Pedey down in the order as a way to lengthen our line-up?

Of course, this is assuming Beni can win the lead off slot. Here's my reasoning:

1) Pedey's base running skills are not what they used to be. Only Papi had a worse Sox base running score on fangraphs than Pedey.
    2) Bogey seems like the perfect number 2 hitter to me.
    3) In small sample sizes Pedey actually has done very well from the 3 slot (.802 in 1226 PAs) and the 4 slot (1.054 in 152 PAs).
    4) His 5 slot numbers (.750) aren't much worse than his 1 slot numbers (.770).

Assuming Beni is ready to lead off, I like this line-up:

1) Beni
    2) Bogey
    3) Betts
    4) HanRam
    5) Pedey
    6) JBJ v R/Young v L
    7) Pablo v R/JBJ v L
    8) Moreland v R/Pablo or Holt v L
    9) Leon-Vaz

Your thoughts?
    My thoughts?

First I would like an explanation of how FG has rated Pedrioa's base running so low? This, since you begin to justify your moves by stating that he is so poor a base runner.

He's never been a burner or even really fast. But he has always seemed to be smart when on base. Of course there is no way for a lay person such as myself to counter such lofty experts as FG.

What makes him so bad a base running?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."