Register now to remove this ad

Page 223 of 299 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Even to remotely suggest that there are any posters here that don't care are on not concerned about the future of our team because of recent deals that have been done is preposterous. Everybody cares! No one really likes to see good prospects traded away! Personally, although I see the moves as being aggressive, when I hear the expression "win now" at any cost, I don't see these moves as being that dramatic. Dramatic for sure but survivable. I'm a middle ground kind of guy. In today's world it kind of looks like there is no place for a middle ground point of view and perspective. I plan to keep right on trudging along though.
    On the other side of that, even to remotely suggest that there are posters here who won't be able to enjoy this season because we are too distraught over the future is preposterous. We are concerned about the future. We are not getting ready to jump off the Tobin or even losing sleep over it.

It's a valid and reasonable concern. For anyone to suggest otherwise is a little short sighted. Being concerned about the future does not preclude being able to enjoy the now.

A middle of the ground approach would be to build a team that can win now while at the same time maintaining a strong farm. Not either/or.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    We are going to have to make some hard decisions in the next few years on who to sign to long term contracts. Some fans are going to be very disappointed because we won't be able to afford everyone. It makes it very important for Benindenti, Devers, Groome, Travis to develop as we hope to help offset some of the losses. Going to be very hard to restock the farm without the advantages of the past, hopefully we find the new advantage.
    Which is exactly why I am against depleting the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We've traded away 7 of out top 10 prospects in one year. (14 out of 21) That is dramatic and drastic.

Just talking about concerns, we've been called whiners and implied doomsday apocalyptic naysayes.

There can be a "middle ground" and I think that is what I had hoped for. I think Kimmi is pretty close to my position too.

True, we could have traded Swihart, Devers and Groome too, so I guess you could call what we have done a "middle ground", but to me and others what we did was at least a little too far to one end of the spectrum.

Personally, I'd take back the Pom and Kimbrel trades. With the money and some of prospects "saved" (I'd have traded Margot & Guerra) I would have acquired a not-so-glamorous closer and starter. I'd even feel much better without just the Pomeranz trade and maybe trying to sub Espi for Kopech in the Sale trade.

I'm not upset with where we are now, but I'm not going to deny that our future will be impacted.

Let's not deny that many posters said, "Don't worry; our farm can be rebuilt," or "We can spend more to fill future needs."
    Yes, I think you and I are mostly on the same page here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    On the other side of that, even to remotely suggest that there are posters here who won't be able to enjoy this season because we are too distraught over the future is preposterous. We are concerned about the future. We are not getting ready to jump off the Tobin or even losing sleep over it.

It's a valid and reasonable concern. For anyone to suggest otherwise is a little short sighted. Being concerned about the future does not preclude being able to enjoy the now.

A middle of the ground approach would be to build a team that can win now while at the same time maintaining a strong farm. Not either/or.
    Some posters get very stressed about stuff that others take in stride or even enjoy.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Some posters confuse concern with stressed or very stressed or try to guess what others' feelings and/ or intentions are.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 02-12-2017 at 04:28 PM.

The Braves traded for Brandon Phillips and got the Reds to pay $13M out of the $14M owed!

The Reds got minor league pitchers Andrew McKirahan and Carlos Portuondo.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Some posters confuse concern with stressed or very stressed or try to guess what others' feelings and/ or intentions are.
    Let me put it this way: if I say I'm not concerned about our future, it's not because I'm not aware of the potential problems, it's because I see no point in being concerned about it. It's just my position.

All-Star
    Potential problems abound for all organizations when you look 4 or 5 years out. We should be happy and enjoy the sox for the next few years it could be a fun run.

Deity

I'm not the one doing the suggesting.
    Do really think that there are people here who aren't concerned about the future of this franchise?
    If I don't agree with your approach, it does not mean that I don't care as much about the direction the team is going in as you do. While I do not think that our farm system is the best in baseball right now, I do not think that we are in horrible shape either. At the same time, I think that our major league club is improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    For me it's a philosophical thing. I've become a Zen fan of sorts - I hasten to add that I was only able to do so because of seeing us win it all 3 times.

There's not a thing any of us can do about what the team does. I'm fully aware of the possible negative outcomes of some of their moves. But worrying about the future is absolutely pointless suffering.
    You are right that there's not a thing than anyone can do about what the team does. In that sense, how is my concern about the future any different than all of the endless criticism that we've heard about things like picking up Buchholz' option, extending Porcello when he was pitching badly, or signing Pablo?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    I'm not sure our overall pitching was going to be good enough, with the top three we have now we really lesson the load on the bullpen, all three should be able to pitch over 200 innings and if Wrights healthy he can too. Should make the pen stronger. We still have our whole young core , along with a couple blue chipper so still coming. Understand your angst but still think organization is in great shape.
    There is no doubt that our team, pitching staff in particular, is better with Sale on it than without him. We'll just have to disagree on how much of a need he really is.

Our organization is in great shape or 3 or 4 years. I will withhold any enthusiasm about the state of the team beyond that until the time draws nearer.

Let me put it this way: if I say I'm not concerned about our future, it's not because I'm not aware of the potential problems, it's because I see no point in being concerned about it. It's just my position.
    And if I say I am concerned about the future, it doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the present.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm not the one doing the suggesting.
    Do really think that there are people here who aren't concerned about the future of this franchise?
    If I don't agree with your approach, it does not mean that I don't care as much about the direction the team is going in as you do. While I do not think that our farm system is the best in baseball right now, I do not think that we are in horrible shape either. At the same time, I think that our major league club is improved.
    I didn't say that you were the one doing the suggesting.

No, I don't think that there are people who don't care about the future of the franchise. That said, there have been posts here that have basically stated that they don't care what happens in 3 years or in 2021.

You are right that there's not a thing than anyone can do about what the team does. In that sense, how is my concern about the future any different than all of the endless criticism that we've heard about things like picking up Buchholz' option, extending Porcello when he was pitching badly, or signing Pablo?
    I would differentiate them like this: specific moves vs. general organizational philosophy ('win now').

I would differentiate them like this: specific moves vs. general organizational philosophy ('win now').
    Sorry, not buying that Bell. There's still nothing anyone can do about specific moves, so why worry about them?