Register now to remove this ad

Page 235 of 299 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Ballgame View Post
    I can't see how any of the ops guys in the Sox front office ever thought signing Pablo was a good idea.

This reeked of Lucchino and PR from day one. "Ortiz is near the end, so let's sign another big, lovable guy with a "cute nickname" who seems to shine in the spotlight. He's perfect for this town. We need a 3rd baseman and there's not much else available, right?. He's still young, right? Can you imagine all of the "Panda" stuff we'll sell?"
    I wish I was kidding.
    100% agree that baseball ops people, especially those of the stathead variety, would not think that signing Pablo was a good idea. IMO, this definitely screams of Lucchino's influence.

That said, while I was against Pablo's contract, I can understand the baseball rationale in signing him. We needed a 3B, and Pablo should have been better than the production we received the previous year. It still wasn't a good signing, but it shouldn't have been this bad.

I don't think Hanley was ever intended to be the third baseman. I'm under the impression that his shoulder won't allow him to field the position properly anymore.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    If Pablo is reduced to platooning with Rutledge, after all the work he has put in to lose weight, that's a disaster.
    Contract wise, yes, it would be a disaster.

Baseball wise, perhaps getting a day off regularly would help keep him healthy and 'fresh'.

Good to see you posting.

From what I've read, it sounds like Hanley wants to DH a lot. It doesn't sound like he's the least bit upset about losing some playing time at 1B. It also sounds like he is taking on more of a leadership role in the absence of Papi. Our boy has grown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    From what I've read, it sounds like Hanley wants to DH a lot. It doesn't sound like he's the least bit upset about losing some playing time at 1B. It also sounds like he is taking on more of a leadership role in the absence of Papi. Our boy has grown up.
    He's having fun, expect him to hit a lot in DH.

It's awesome seeing pictures from spring training. We're getting close!

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    He's having fun, expect him to hit a lot in DH.
    I think he will.

It's awesome seeing pictures from spring training. We're getting close!
    We need a spring training thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    We need a spring training thread.
    We do. You should start one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I don't think Hanley was ever intended to be the third baseman. I'm under the impression that his shoulder won't allow him to field the position properly anymore.
    I was talking about when we signed him. He hurt the shoulder while playing LF after the signing.

Eventually, I saw him taking over at DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Ballgame View Post
    I can't see how any of the ops guys in the Sox front office ever thought signing Pablo was a good idea.

This reeked of Lucchino and PR from day one. "Ortiz is near the end, so let's sign another big, lovable guy with a "cute nickname" who seems to shine in the spotlight. He's perfect for this town. We need a 3rd baseman and there's not much else available, right?. He's still young, right? Can you imagine all of the "Panda" stuff we'll sell?"
    I wish I was kidding.
    ...and I wish this form had a "like" button.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

This is my opinion too...I think being back with Papi for two years helped and he looks to have matured some. I think he will take a leadership role. I like the fact that he basically said he cant fill Papis shoes (who can?) but himself and a couple other veteran players will be there to help in any way. Seems like hes perfectly fine with his role on this team. That can only mean 30/100 or more if hes healthy.

I think it was a given that either HanRam or Pablo would move to DH once Papi retired. I'm glad HanRam likes the idea. It's not always easy for players to transition to the DH role, but HR has done well in a small sample size at DH.

I think him playing 1B vs LHPs (about 23% of starts) works perfectly in keeping him sharp and ready to play 1B in NL parks.

Whenever Devers is ML ready (2018?), we could see Pablo move to 1B with HR continuing to play 1B vs LHPs.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think it was a given that either HanRam or Pablo would move to DH once Papi retired. I'm glad HanRam likes the idea. It's not always easy for players to transition to the DH role, but HR has done well in a small sample size at DH.

I think him playing 1B vs LHPs (about 23% of starts) works perfectly in keeping him sharp and ready to play 1B in NL parks.

Whenever Devers is ML ready (2018?), we could see Pablo move to 1B with HR continuing to play 1B vs LHPs.
    I think you'll see Sam Travis sometime during 2017.....book it.