Register now to remove this ad

Page 236 of 299 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think you'll see Sam Travis sometime during 2017.....book it.
    He should get a lot of ABs in camp this Spring, because Hanley will be at the WBC.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    He should get a lot of ABs in camp this Spring, because Hanley will be at the WBC.
    He had a really good spring last year, definitely will see him at some point this year. Also not having played in nine months they are going to give him a lot of at bats.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    He had a really good spring last year, definitely will see him at some point this year. Also not having played in nine months they are going to give him a lot of at bats.
    Sam Travis is another good one who has fought the - he is not big enough - he is not fast enough- ... forever. All he has done is hit and hit well wherever he has played. We have seen guys like this before. They just get it done. I hope he is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think you'll see Sam Travis sometime during 2017.....book it.
    Agreed.

It's not by chance our two highest non pitching prospects play 1B and 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Sam Travis... hit well wherever he has played....
    Until last year's .765 in 195 PAs at AAA, Travis has been remarkably consistent. He has been between .813 and .845 at every place he's been.

If he can hit over .800 at the ML level, he might be replacing Moreland- assuming he is struggling.

This on Holt from MLBTR...

While there’s interest across the majors in utilityman Brock Holt, the Red Sox aren’t looking to trade him, writes Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. “Many clubs like him a great deal,” said president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. Since debuting in the majors with Pittsburgh in 2012, the versatile Holt has seen action everywhere but catcher and pitcher, though Boston doesn’t have an obvious place to put him this year. Most of Holt’s playing time last season came in left field, where ballyhooed rookie Andrew Benintendi will line up in 2017. Even including 2016, though, the majority of Holt’s big league experience has come at third base, but the Red Sox are banking on a revival at the hot corner from fellow lefty-swinger Pablo Sandoval. Thus, barring another poor showing from Sandoval – which is quite possible, of course – Holt could struggle to find reps. Nevertheless, Holt told Cafardo he’s “extremely happy” to be in Boston. The 2015 All-Star is under Red Sox control through the 2019 season.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    This on Holt from MLBTR...

While there’s interest across the majors in utilityman Brock Holt, the Red Sox aren’t looking to trade him, writes Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. “Many clubs like him a great deal,” said president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. Since debuting in the majors with Pittsburgh in 2012, the versatile Holt has seen action everywhere but catcher and pitcher, though Boston doesn’t have an obvious place to put him this year. Most of Holt’s playing time last season came in left field, where ballyhooed rookie Andrew Benintendi will line up in 2017. Even including 2016, though, the majority of Holt’s big league experience has come at third base, but the Red Sox are banking on a revival at the hot corner from fellow lefty-swinger Pablo Sandoval. Thus, barring another poor showing from Sandoval – which is quite possible, of course – Holt could struggle to find reps. Nevertheless, Holt told Cafardo he’s “extremely happy” to be in Boston. The 2015 All-Star is under Red Sox control through the 2019 season.
    Very interesting take Moon. Having him available is like an insurance policy. Hope you don't need to use him but nice to have if the need arises.

All-Star
    Best to use Holt a few times a week that's when he's most productive, always seems to wear down.

Best to use Holt a few times a week that's when he's most productive, always seems to wear down.
    Last year he only had 324 PAs and still faded late in the season.

Career OPS by month:

.840 APR
    .646 MAY
    .828 JUN
    .707 JUL
    .618 AUG
    .652 SEP

.788 first half
    .620 second half

I've caught some grief for holding this position, but I still think Holt's value is greater on another team than ours, where they could use him more often, and where a .700 OPS is better than what some starters give those teams. Also, his best position is 2B, and that is a spot he just won't get much time playing in Boston, unless there's an unfortunate injury.

Holt is great as an emergency jack-of-all-trades, but if we need someone to cover a position for a 10+ day stretch, here's how I see Holt's placement on our depth extended need chart:

2B: Holt (Hernandez very capable/Marrero capable)
    SS: Hernandez then Holt or Marrero
    3B: Rutledge then Holt or Hernandez
    LF: Young then Holt, then or Quentin/Moreland
    1B: Moreland or HanRam, then Travis, then Holt
    CF or RF: Young then Holt

As much as I love having a guy like Holt on our 25 man roster, I see him as the top sub at only one position (2B) and maybe pretty close at 2 more (3B & SS). That alone is not reason to trade him, and I wouldn't go out of my way to trade him at least until we know more about Pablo.

I could see him being part of a package at the deadline to fill a need that arises over the season.

(Note: I'm not bashing Holt. I like him a lot, but the foundation of any trade usually starts with the idea that a player might have more value with the other team...and vice versa.

All-Star
    I feel the value of playing multiple positions is extremely valuable to a team, but with that being said Marco Hernandez might develop that ability with a better bat.

I feel the value of playing multiple positions is extremely valuable to a team, but with that being said Marco Hernandez might develop that ability with a better bat.
    It surely has value. Now that we don't have DH only, I think the need is not so great

All-Star
    It surely has value. Now that we don't have DH only, I think the need is not so great
    Still think we have the need , still a 4 man bench.

Still think we have the need , still a 4 man bench.
    Agreed, but HanRam can play 1B and Moreland can play 1B and corner OF.

Papi could play 1B in NL parks, but that was about it.

I agree; every team needs good subs, and having one that can play many positions is a great value to have, but I think Holt would play more on other teams. That seems to indicate his value would be higher on other teams. That does not mean we should trade him, but sometimes it becomes the foundation for a trade.

In theory, the drop off from Holt to Hernandez would be more than offset by the improvement at the position we trade for. Plus, I'm not even sure there's be a drop off at some positions, if Hernandez takes his place.

Here's a possible scenario: let's say Pablo sucks or gets hurt, we could maybe trade Holt for Todd Frazier at the deadline or beforehand.

BTW MLBTR reports....

If Pablo Sandoval doesn’t reestablish himself as a capable third baseman this year, the Red Sox could eventually swing a trade for Todd Frazier of the White Sox, writes Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. Chicago will have paid more than half of Frazier’s $12.5MM salary by the trade deadline, which should make the 31-year-old an attractive target for Boston or other contenders, Cafardo observes. Given that the White Sox are amid a rebuild, it seems they’d prefer to ship out established veterans like Frazier sooner than later, as general manager Rick Hahn implied in an interview with MLBTR contributor Brett Ballantini earlier this week.

All-Star
    Agreed, but HanRam can play 1B and Moreland can play 1B and corner OF.

Papi could play 1B in NL parks, but that was about it.

I agree; every team needs good subs, and having one that can play many positions is a great value to have, but I think Holt would play more on other teams. That seems to indicate his value would be higher on other teams. That does not mean we should trade him, but sometimes it becomes the foundation for a trade.

In theory, the drop off from Holt to Hernandez would be more than offset by the improvement at the position we trade for. Plus, I'm not even sure there's be a drop off at some positions, if Hernandez takes his place.

Here's a possible scenario: let's say Pablo sucks or gets hurt, we could maybe trade Holt for Todd Frazier at the deadline or beforehand.

BTW MLBTR reports....

If Pablo Sandoval doesn’t reestablish himself as a capable third baseman this year, the Red Sox could eventually swing a trade for Todd Frazier of the White Sox, writes Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. Chicago will have paid more than half of Frazier’s $12.5MM salary by the trade deadline, which should make the 31-year-old an attractive target for Boston or other contenders, Cafardo observes. Given that the White Sox are amid a rebuild, it seems they’d prefer to ship out established veterans like Frazier sooner than later, as general manager Rick Hahn implied in an interview with MLBTR contributor Brett Ballantini earlier this week.
    Not a big fan of Fraziers 225 average and high strikeout rate, to me he is Mark Reynolds of a few years ago.

Per Fangraph

Rafael Devers slashed a solid .282/.335/.443 at high-A Salem last year. Those numbers don’t leap off the page, but there is no denying his ceiling. The left-handed-hitting third baseman is the top prospect in the Red Sox organization among those with no MLB experience.

Devers, who didn’t turn 20 until after the season, started slow in 2016. Then he caught fire. From June onward, the promising young power hitter put up an .883 OPS. By all accounts, his turnaround wasn’t fueled by a specific adjustment.

Devers said after the season that he stuck with the routine he’s always had, and that it was “basically about putting in the work every day, and trying to be consistent.” He told me that he couldn’t explain it any other way. Farm director Ben Crockett couldn’t point to any major changes either. He said that high-A hitting coach Nelson Paulino primarily focused on helping Devers be ready on time, and be short to the ball.

The long balls started coming in July, but despite the second-half power surge, he finished the campaign with just 11 home runs. I asked Devers if he was disappointed with that number.

“I actually feel happy,” answered Devers. “Early in the year, I didn’t think I was going to even hit five, so to end up with 11 made me feel good. I think I can hit a lot more than that, though.”