Register now to remove this ad

Page 244 of 299 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294 ... LastLast
Results 3,646 to 3,660 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I agree fully. This change is just a placebo in the effort to speed up the pace of the game.

Plus I like to see pitchers IBB batters. Some of them fuck up or come close to fucking up. That ads a little drama and skill to the game. It's minor and possibly inconsequential but it is part of the game.
    Well this idea is better than the idea of putting a runner on 2nd base in extra innings, but that's not saying anything.

I like watching the pitchers pitch IBB also.

They really ought to leave the game the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    MLB pipeline's top 30 Sox prospects rankings:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=bos

Dalbec #5!

More on prospects...

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/216472...rospects-list/
    5. Dalbec
    6. Raudes (10 on soxprospects.com
    7. Chatham (8)
    8. Lakins (17)
    9. Ockimey (9)
    10. Longhi (12)
    11. Chavis (11)
    12. Johnson (6)
    13. Shawaryn (13)
    14. Cosart (18)
    15. Shepherd (20)
    16. Cedrola (43)
    17. Bautista (21)
    18. Anderson (23)
    19. Taylor (31)
    20. K Martin (15)

No Hernandez in top 30 (7th on soxprospects.com)

All-Star
    5. Dalbec
    6. Raudes (10 on soxprospects.com
    7. Chatham (8)
    8. Lakins (17)
    9. Ockimey (9)
    10. Longhi (12)
    11. Chavis (11)
    12. Johnson (6)
    13. Shawaryn (13)
    14. Cosart (18)
    15. Shepherd (20)
    16. Cedrola (43)
    17. Bautista (21)
    18. Anderson (23)
    19. Taylor (31)
    20. K Martin (15)

No Hernandez in top 30 (7th on soxprospects.com)

I'm guessing that Hernandez has graduated according to there criteria.

Deity
    I meant it makes no sense that his value as a supersub exceeds his value as a starwouldting 2Bman on 10 clubs.

I agree, he could start nearly every game on 10 clubs or more.
    I do think a lot of Sox fans overvalued Holt.

As an infielder, he is very weak up the middle. He's simply not a shortstop, and always seems to be out of position at second base, where he seems clueless on how to take a throw from an outfielder. His 3b defense seems tolerable, and he's actually a surprisingly good defender in the outfield, including in center.

He's a good role player to have who makes it easy to carry someone like Young, who is slated for a platoon and would otherwise be a lousy fourth outfielder. But let's not go overboard with him and he isn't someone the Sox need to get into the lineup more often...

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    I'm guessing that Hernandez has graduated according to there criteria.
    That's what I figured.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

As an infielder, he is very weak up the middle. He's simply not a shortstop, and always seems to be out of position at second base, where he seems clueless on how to take a throw from an outfielder. His 3b defense seems tolerable, and he's actually a surprisingly good defender in the outfield, including in center.

He's a good role player to have who makes it easy to carry someone like Young, who is slated for a platoon and would otherwise be a lousy fourth outfielder. But let's not go overboard with him and he isn't someone the Sox need to get into the lineup more often...
    You're underestimating the value of a guy who can play 7 positions at any given time. The first time the guy ever played first base in his life was at the major league level. There are maybe 3 or 4 guys in all of baseball who can do what he does throughout a full 162 game schedule. Stat guys will never get it, but his peers do. Trust me on this. He's as respected as anyone in that clubhouse.

Let's put it this way. Remember when all of the "stat people" were whining because Farrell was playing Jonny Gomes against righties in the playoffs on their way to a World Series Championship in 2013, despite the " stats" saying that he was wrong? Farrell's response was to the media was, "Good things seem to happen when he's in the line-up." You'll probably never understand because you've obviously never played the game at a high level, but Brock Holt is the type of player that "makes things happen" when he's in the line-up. Again, there's a reason why any team in baseball would love to have him on their roster, and yes, you want to get him in the line-up a few times a week to keep him fresh.
    Last edited by Eddy Ballgame; 02-23-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

I'm not yet a believer in Holt's OF defense, but he has done pretty well so far out there.

In over 1100 innings in the OF, fangraphs has his UZR/150 at -2.4.

That's fine for a supersub- 5th OF'er.

I agree that Holt's 3B defense is tolerable at 3B, but my guess is Rutledge is a little better.

I think Holt has high value as a supersub, but his value to us would be higher, if he was the first back-up at more than 1-2 positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Ballgame View Post
    You're underestimating the value of a guy who can play 7 positions at any given time. The first time the guy ever played first base in his life was at the major league level. There are maybe 3 or 4 guys in all of baseball who can do what he does throughout a full 162 game schedule. Stat guys will never get it, but his peers do. Trust me on this. He's as respected as anyone in that clubhouse.

Let's put it this way. Remember when all of the "stat people" were whining because Farrell was playing Jonny Gomes against righties in the playoffs on their way to a World Series Championship in 2013, despite the " stats" saying that he was wrong? Farrell's response was to the media was, "Good things seem to happen when he's in the line-up." You'll probably never understand because you've obviously never played the game at a high level, but Brock Holt is the type of player that "makes things happen" when he's in the line-up. Again, there's a reason why any team in baseball would love to have him on their roster, and yes, you want to get him the line-up a few times a week to keep him fresh.
    Yeah, let's play Holt a few times a week, because he's so damned respected in the clubhouse. That will make all the benched players that are better than him thrilled.

What do I know, I've never player high level baseball, and we all know only real players know anything about baseball.

If we have a better player at a particular position, we should play him.

Major Leaguer
    I'm not yet a believer in Holt's OF defense, but he has done pretty well so far out there.

In over 1100 innings in the OF, fangraphs has his UZR/150 at -2.4.

That's fine for a supersub- 5th OF'er.

I agree that Holt's 3B defense is tolerable at 3B, but my guess is Rutledge is a little better.

I think Holt has high value as a supersub, but his value to us would be higher, if he was the first back-up at more than 1-2 positions.
    Ummmmm...John Farrell's not going to use his bench based on a statistical analysis that shows Josh Rutledge might have a better chance of catching a ground ball at 3rd base. He's going to try to keep guys fresh, and yes, barring injury, Brock Holt is going to have more at-bats and play more innings in the field than anyone else on the Sox bench this season. Their is no such thing as "first backup" or "2nd backup" at every position.

Ummmmm...John Farrell's not going to use his bench based on a statistical analysis that shows Josh Rutledge might have a better chance of catching a ground ball at 3rd base. He's going to try to keep guys fresh, and yes, barring injury, Brock Holt is going to have more at-bats and play more innings in the field than anyone else on the Sox bench this season. Their is no such thing as "first backup" or "2nd backup" at every position.
    Where did I say JF uses stats to make decisions? He's going to play the best sub when ever he can.

If you don't think a manager has a depth chart for each position, you must not have ever player high level baseball.

I never claimed or implied any Sox sub would have more ABs than Holt, so I'm not sure where that came from.

Major Leaguer
    Yeah, let's play Holt a few times a week, because he's so damned respected in the clubhouse. That will make all the benched players that are better than him thrilled.

What do I know, I've never player high level baseball, and we all know only real players know anything about baseball.

If we have a better player at a particular position, we should play him.

Stick to analyzing the stats, coming up with the same ridiculous trade proposals 400 times and copying and pasting minor league prospect rankings. In all seriousness, there's value in that on this message board. Try to avoid the human element of the game of baseball, though. Waaaayyyy over your head.

Major Leaguer
    Where did I say JF uses stats to make decisions? He's going to play the best sub when ever he can.

If you don't think a manager has a depth chart for each position, you must not have ever player high level baseball.
    Wow. All I can say is wow.

Major Leaguer
    [QUOTE=moonslav59;1049460]Where did I say JF uses stats to make decisions? He's going to play the best sub when ever he can.

I never claimed or implied any Sox sub would have more ABs than Holt, so I'm not sure where that came from.

[/http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/2017/02/john_farrell_third_base_job_wide_open_for_pablo_sa ndoval_and_brock_holt

Read that. Take a break from the stats. Notice the Hanley Ramirez/David Ortiz part of the article in there that will give you a little insight as to how the "mental aspect" of the game works. Read more of these types of things. Read some books. Get away from the "stats" once in a while.

Holt had unsustainable BABIP's in 14 and 15. Last year, he was right around .300 in that category and the real Brock Holt showed. He is what he is, a super sub who won't embarrass himself. He'd be a replacement level 2b but his versatility makes him really useful

Let's put it this way. Remember when all of the "stat people" were whining because Farrell was playing Jonny Gomes against righties in the playoffs on their way to a World Series Championship in 2013, despite the " stats" saying that he was wrong? Farrell's response was to the media was, "Good things seem to happen when he's in the line-up." You'll probably never understand because you've obviously never played the game at a high level, but Brock Holt is the type of player that "makes things happen" when he's in the line-up. Again, there's a reason why any team in baseball would love to have him on their roster, and yes, you want to get him in the line-up a few times a week to keep him fresh.
    How does this turn into a "stat guys will never get it" argument? That's a stupid leap-of-faith logical fallacy. You can't pigeonhole an entire group of people because someone said Holt is being overvalued.
    We miss you Mike.