Register now to remove this ad

Page 284 of 299 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294 ... LastLast
Results 4,246 to 4,260 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I don't think ST'ing numbers mean all that much in any context, except to reveal if a questionable player is healthy or not.
    What's more important than health?
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    What's more important than health?
    Not much, really, and that's why ST'ing has very little value in any context, except to see if a player has recovered from a previous injury.

From MLBTR...

Latest On David Price
    By Jeff Todd | March 20, 2017 at 7:48pm CDT

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski provided an update on the health of key lefty David Price, as Evan Drellich of CSNNE.com reports. While the club’s top baseball executive emphasized that there’s still no clear timeline, Drellich explains that the current trajectory makes it seem unlikely that Price will be available before the calendar flips to May.

Price has been dealing with a somewhat nebulous elbow issue, though he has already been cleared of the need for surgery. Today’s update comes amid continued uncertainty — publicly, at least — regarding Price’s outlook, and as the organization continues to looking to bolster their depth

The club is obviously taking the long view here, with Price set to play an important role in 2017 and for many years beyond. While Dombrowski said that he believes the team “could have pushed [Price] a little bit further at this point,” he stressed the need “to take our time” with the veteran southpaw.

That said, the broader news seems to be positive. Dombrowski said he believes that Price “will be fine, based upon what the doctors have told me [and] what David feels.” Though it’s still not quite clear what caused the elbow discomfort, Dombrowski said he suspects that Price was throwing hard early on, owing to offseason workouts that “really loosened up his hip” and left him working “free and easy.”

As for the next steps, that remains unclear. But the team could get some answers tomorrow, when Price is slated to be examined by the club’s head orthopedist, Dr. Peter Asnis. “So based on that, on how he feels, what the next phase will become and when that initiates more throwing with some intensity, I don’t have that start date,” said manager John Farrell.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Just an observation, maybe appropos exactly nothing...

Isn't it amazing how Spring Training and small sample size stats don't mean anything when a player is doing well in ST, but when a player is doing poorly those stats are everything?
    lol. so true my friend. so very true.
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    lol. so true my friend. so very true.
    The most important thing about spring training is that it helps the economy of those cities - that's about it.

Never heard of a Head Orthopedist....

Oh, a head Orthopedist.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Boggs View Post
    The only thing I look at from spring training is.....

Players getting in shape for the real games.

Players who are injured getting their form back.

Battles for spots if any

Plus that one surprise in camp . The kid or man who makes the team , when they said was no chance.
    I think that this represents quite a bit!

Not much, really, and that's why ST'ing has very little value in any context, except to see if a player has recovered from a previous injury.
    So the context of player health, conditioning and mechanics is no context?
    We miss you Mike.

Pedroia in a spot with Millar just said that ST is good for getting timing back.

I would add that players need to practice their skills as well.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I was speaking to ST'ing numbers and data.

Of course ST'ing improves conditioning, sharpens mechanics and skills and are sometimes observable, but players often look lost in ST'ing then start off the season on fire and vice versa. I just don't pay much attention to small sample size ST'ing numbers that are not all against true ML talent.

So you don't think its significant what Sale did today? All because it's ST?

I don't know about you but I'm going to enjoy watching Sale pitch this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

It matters that his velocity and stamina are both good at this point. Things like that start to matter a bit more toward the end of spring games, I think.

Really it's just raw spring training numbers that don't mean that much. There's stuff that matters to the players and the coaches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It matters that his velocity and stamina are both good at this point. Things like that start to matter a bit more toward the end of spring games, I think.

Really it's just raw spring training numbers that don't mean that much. There's stuff that matters to the players and the coaches though.
    Bullshit! The Governor's Cup is where Legends are made!!!!

From MLBTR...

Latest On David Price
    By Jeff Todd | March 20, 2017 at 7:48pm CDT

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski provided an update on the health of key lefty David Price, as Evan Drellich of CSNNE.com reports. While the club’s top baseball executive emphasized that there’s still no clear timeline, Drellich explains that the current trajectory makes it seem unlikely that Price will be available before the calendar flips to May.

Price has been dealing with a somewhat nebulous elbow issue, though he has already been cleared of the need for surgery. Today’s update comes amid continued uncertainty — publicly, at least — regarding Price’s outlook, and as the organization continues to looking to bolster their depth

The club is obviously taking the long view here, with Price set to play an important role in 2017 and for many years beyond. While Dombrowski said that he believes the team “could have pushed [Price] a little bit further at this point,” he stressed the need “to take our time” with the veteran southpaw.

That said, the broader news seems to be positive. Dombrowski said he believes that Price “will be fine, based upon what the doctors have told me [and] what David feels.” Though it’s still not quite clear what caused the elbow discomfort, Dombrowski said he suspects that Price was throwing hard early on, owing to offseason workouts that “really loosened up his hip” and left him working “free and easy.”

As for the next steps, that remains unclear. But the team could get some answers tomorrow, when Price is slated to be examined by the club’s head orthopedist, Dr. Peter Asnis. “So based on that, on how he feels, what the next phase will become and when that initiates more throwing with some intensity, I don’t have that start date,” said manager John Farrell.
    Quite frankly, they have no idea....Price can go out and blow out his elbow tomorrow....all speculation

"Drew Pomeranz suffers another injury" - 2 days ago
    "Drew Pomeranz blames triceps tightness on altered mechanics" - yesterday

Boston Herald Headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I didn't need to see anything Sale does this ST'ing to know he is going to be enjoyable to watch.

We got Chris "Freakin' Sale!!!!