Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On second thought...

On second thought...

There's an old saying, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

Acknowledging that the Sox once before tried to make Bogaerts into a third-baseman while inserting Drew at SS, and it did not work out so well for Bogaerts.

If Sandoval flounders, what's the chance of Bogaerts willingly moving over to 3B opening up the SS position for Hernandez? This kid strikes me as being the real deal.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post

Acknowledging that the Sox once before tried to make Bogaerts into a third-baseman while inserting Drew at SS, and it did not work out so well for Bogaerts.

If Sandoval flounders, what's the chance of Bogaerts willingly moving over to 3B opening jjaair up the SS position for Hernandez? This kid strikes me as being the real deal.
    Why not just insert Hernandez at third? Bogaerts has worked hard at his shortstop defense and made immense improvements and was flat out uncomfortable at third. Why penalize him (and the team) for his hard work?

I'd think about it, if Hernandez was a plus defender at SS.

I don't think he is.

If Sandoval flounders, what's the chance of Bogaerts willingly moving over to 3B opening up the SS position for Hernandez? This kid strikes me as being the real deal.
    Nope. Hernandez would just be the 3b.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity

He very likely might be be a better shortstop than XB. Hernandez is a 2b/ss first. It probably will not happen but would be a rational logical move.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    He very likely might be be a better shortstop than XB. Hernandez is a 2b/ss first. It probably will not happen but would be a rational logical move.
    Moving your AS SS for a AAAA guy isn't rational, imo. Unless he had an otherworldly glove, there is no reason to put Marco at SS.

Per Sox Prospects:

Arm: Solid-average arm strength plays at shortstop, but doesn’t stand out. Has had some issues with throwing accuracy at times.

Field: Good actions at shortstop, though long term value at position is still to be determined. Moves well and has solid range. Hands are a little rough and footwork can get sloppy. Should be able to play shortstop in a backup role, but is not everyday quality defender. Defensive tools will play at second base.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Per Sox Prospects:

Arm: Solid-average arm strength plays at shortstop, but doesn’t stand out. Has had some issues with throwing accuracy at times.

Field: Good actions at shortstop, though long term value at position is still to be determined. Moves well and has solid range. Hands are a little rough and footwork can get sloppy. Should be able to play shortstop in a backup role, but is not everyday quality defender. Defensive tools will play at second base.
    It is what it is according to them. I have felt all along that he is a better fit at second than anywhere else. Is it possible that he exceeds the expectations of the scouting reports? Is it even possible that he already has. I'm not saying that this kid is the next gift but It would take a hell of a lot more than Josh Rutledge for me to keep him off our roster. It is a good situation for the Red Sox to be in I guess.

Here's my positional depth chart:

3B:
    vs RHPs: 1) Pablo 2) Hernandez 3) Holt
    vs LHPs: 1) Rutledge 2T) Hernandez & Holt

SS: 1) Bogey 2) Hernandez 3) Holt

2B: 1) Pedey 2T) Hernandez & Holt

1B: 1) Moreland/Ramirez 2) Travis 3) Holt (maybe Swihart after some practice)

LF: 1) Beni 2) Young 3T) Selsky & Holt (Moreland in a pinch)

CF/RF: Move Beni to position and Young to LF, 3T) Selsky/Holt in LF

Once again, as I've brought up several times over the last few months, why not trade the guy with some nice trade value- Brock Holt?

Rutledge and Hernandez start the season on the 25 man roster. Selsky and Marrero are extended depth with a positional move by Swihart to 3B or 1B remaining as an option or emergency plan C.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Per Sox Prospects:

This from SB Nation... 12/2016

6) Marco Hernandez, INF, Grade B-: Age 24, originally signed by Cubs out of Dominican Republic, traded to Red Sox in 2014; hit .309/.343/.444 in 223 at-bats in Triple-A then .294/.357.373 in 51 major league at-bats spread over five separate recalls in ’16; has hit very well for two years, with a .305/.330/.454 mark in Double-A/Triple-A in ’15; line drive hitter with doubles power can surprise with his pop; tools fit best at second base but workable at other positions; projects as super-utility type with better-than-normal bat in the role; doesn’t get as much attention as other Boston prospects but should not be under-estimated. ETA 2017.

Deity
    This from SB Nation... 12/2016

6) Marco Hernandez, INF, Grade B-: Age 24, originally signed by Cubs out of Dominican Republic, traded to Red Sox in 2014; hit .309/.343/.444 in 223 at-bats in Triple-A then .294/.357.373 in 51 major league at-bats spread over five separate recalls in ’16; has hit very well for two years, with a .305/.330/.454 mark in Double-A/Triple-A in ’15; line drive hitter with doubles power can surprise with his pop; tools fit best at second base but workable at other positions; projects as super-utility type with better-than-normal bat in the role; doesn’t get as much attention as other Boston prospects but should not be under-estimated. ETA 2017.
    When i first saw him play, he was playing ss for Portland. he was clearly their best player but yet physically he really didn't look to be anything special. He has worked hard on his overall fitness. He is clearly stronger and faster than he was back in the day. Many people have said since day 1 that he projects as a very good utility player on a team like Boston. I think he has a good chance of showing that the projectors are wrong.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    When i first saw him play, he was playing ss for Portland. he was clearly their best player but yet physically he really didn't look to be anything special. He has worked hard on his overall fitness. He is clearly stronger and faster than he was back in the day. Many people have said since day 1 that he projects as a very good utility player on a team like Boston. I think he has a good chance of showing that the projectors are wrong.
    Bill James said I believe last October he wouldn't trade Marco for Josh Donaldson, Machado oo Arrenado straight up. That is crazy, and probably not true, but shows that he is viewed quite highly.

All-Star
    By the way I got that on the Sons of Sam Horn forum under the Marco Hernandez thread.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    By the way I got that on the Sons of Sam Horn forum under the Marco Hernandez thread.
    thanks for that - checking it out.

It's nice to see all the love pouring out for Marco. I've always been very high on this kid. I had hoped his SS defense would improve more than it has, since 2B is locked up longer than SS and 3B.