Register now to remove this ad

Page 299 of 299 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299
Results 4,471 to 4,478 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

I doubt he's physically peaked at near 19th birthday.

With Owens, Johnson and others struggling, and Kopech, Espi and others traded away, there's a lot of hope pinned one this one guy: Groome.

I'm hopeful but scared of where we'll be, if he fizzles out..

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    With Owens, Johnson and others struggling, and Kopech, Espi and others traded away, there's a lot of hope pinned one this one guy: Groome.

I'm hopeful but scared of where we'll be, if he fizzles out..
    At almost 19, he has the look of a major league pitcher. He throws strikes. His change up needs work but he can throw his curve for strikes. He has movement on his fastball so I don't think speed will be critical, although I fully expect it to improve.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2017/3...rting-pitchers

I thought this was a pretty fair look at the Sox starting rotation.

On Pom: He broke out early last year with the Padres and had the addition of his cutter and an improved curveball to back it up. Then, he was traded to Boston and it all went downhill. The lefty was hurt all winter, got off to a slow start this spring and hasn’t looked good since. The talent is still there, but it’s anyone guess if it’ll come out this year.

On Price: After last year’s disappointing-but-not-really-bad season, this was supposed to be the bounce-back for last winter’s biggest acquisition. Then, disaster struck when he started feeling forearm pain. He got relatively good news from Dr. James Andrews when he learned he wouldn’t have to undergo Tommy John surgery, but we quickly learned just how much he wasn’t out of the woods. He’s yet to really ramp things back up and is expected to be out until at least May. If he’s healthy, there’s every reason to believe he can be the second best pitcher on this staff, but whether or not he’ll be healthy is arguably the biggest question facing this team right now.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

On Pom: He broke out early last year with the Padres and had the addition of his cutter and an improved curveball to back it up. Then, he was traded to Boston and it all went downhill. The lefty was hurt all winter, got off to a slow start this spring and hasn’t looked good since. The talent is still there, but it’s anyone guess if it’ll come out this year.

On Price: After last year’s disappointing-but-not-really-bad season, this was supposed to be the bounce-back for last winter’s biggest acquisition. Then, disaster struck when he started feeling forearm pain. He got relatively good news from Dr. James Andrews when he learned he wouldn’t have to undergo Tommy John surgery, but we quickly learned just how much he wasn’t out of the woods. He’s yet to really ramp things back up and is expected to be out until at least May. If he’s healthy, there’s every reason to believe he can be the second best pitcher on this staff, but whether or not he’ll be healthy is arguably the biggest question facing this team right now.
    Totally fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    At almost 19, he has the look of a major league pitcher. He throws strikes. His change up needs work but he can throw his curve for strikes. He has movement on his fastball so I don't think speed will be critical, although I fully expect it to improve.
    I do too. I was equally pumped on Kopech despite attitude concerns. I was highest on Espi, but he was farther away.

I'm super high on Groome. I don't think it's the "homer" in me.

I do too. I was equally pumped on Kopech despite attitude concerns. I was highest on Espi, but he was farther away.

I'm super high on Groome. I don't think it's the "homer" in me.
    No, it couldn't be homerism.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

I agree that this is a fair assessment.