Register now to remove this ad

Page 234 of 299 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, and as bad as Pablo is vs lefties, there's a good chance Rutledge starts 20% of the games at 3B.

However, although Holt bats left, he's actually slightly better vs LHPs over his career (but still worse than Rutledge):

B. Holt .709 vs LHPs/.704 v RHPs

Rutledge .721 v LHPs/.704 v RHP

Sandoval .673 v LHPs/ .835 v RHPs

Since 2014, Pablo has the worst OPS vs LHPs in MLB at .521.

If ever a platoon was in order...
    If Pablo is reduced to platooning with Rutledge, after all the work he has put in to lose weight, that's a disaster.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    If Pablo is reduced to platooning with Rutledge, after all the work he has put in to lose weight, that's a disaster.
    Getting in shape probably has little to do with his inability to hit lefties well.

He should have been platooned since 2013.

Last year, we only faced 37 left-handed starters. That's less than 23% of all games.

I don't think sitting Pablo about 1 out of 5 games is a disaster. Chances are, he'll PH and then play in some of those games he doesn't start.

Getting in shape probably has little to do with his inability to hit lefties well.

He should have been platooned since 2013.

Last year, we only faced 37 left-handed starters. That's less than 23% of all games.

I don't think sitting Pablo about 1 out of 5 games is a disaster. Chances are, he'll PH and then play in some of those games he doesn't start.
    Considering his contract, it's bad.
    If they have to platoon him that much, it'll be very disappointing.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Pablo's contract is a sunk cost. If they can get him onto the blasted field without him breaking down immediately like last year, I'll take that as a clear improvement.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Panda was a very overrated player. Now, he is a shell of his overrated self.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star
    I was probably against the Sandoval signing more than any other guy. I thought he was in decline and that steep decline would easily make his contract an over pay in money and years.

However I'm rooting for the guy now, everyone loves a comeback story. I would bet the farm on him (no pun intended) but I have at least some level of confidence in this man making a comeback this year. A man on a mission can be very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Considering his contract, it's bad.
    If they have to platoon him that much, it'll be very disappointing.
    I agree, but I said it the day we signed him. "He's an obvious platoon player."

It was a horrible signing from the start, and I'm not Monday morning QB'ing here. I was dead against the signing before it even happened.

(I was also against the HanRam signing, but not by as much. (Note: I had hoped HR would play 3B, until I heard of the Pablo signing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    I was probably against the Sandoval signing more than any other guy. I thought he was in decline and that steep decline would easily make his contract an over pay in money and years.

However I'm rooting for the guy now, everyone loves a comeback story. I would bet the farm on him (no pun intended) but I have at least some level of confidence in this man making a comeback this year. A man on a mission can be very dangerous.
    My sentiments exactly!

Major Leaguer
    I agree, but I said it the day we signed him. "He's an obvious platoon player."

It was a horrible signing from the start, and I'm not Monday morning QB'ing here. I was dead against the signing before it even happened.

(I was also against the HanRam signing, but not by as much. (Note: I had hoped HR would play 3B, until I heard of the Pablo signing.)
    I can't see how any of the ops guys in the Sox front office ever thought signing Pablo was a good idea.

This reeked of Lucchino and PR from day one. "Ortiz is near the end, so let's sign another big, lovable guy with a "cute nickname" who seems to shine in the spotlight. He's perfect for this town. We need a 3rd baseman and there's not much else available, right?. He's still young, right? Can you imagine all of the "Panda" stuff we'll sell?"
    I wish I was kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Ballgame View Post
    I can't see how any of the ops guys in the Sox front office ever thought signing Pablo was a good idea.

This reeked of Lucchino and PR from day one. "Ortiz is near the end, so let's sign another big, lovable guy with a "cute nickname" who seems to shine in the spotlight. He's perfect for this town. We need a 3rd baseman and there's not much else available, right?. He's still young, right? Can you imagine all of the "Panda" stuff we'll sell?"
    I wish I was kidding.
    LL would have never pushed the selling the Panda stuff. The proceeds from MLB licensed products gets split equally among the 30 teams.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Major Leaguer
    LL would have never pushed the selling the Panda stuff. The proceeds from MLB licensed products gets split equally among the 30 teams.
    Not sure what you're trying to say here. They wouldn't have tried to sell Panda apparel?
    Last edited by Eddy Ballgame; 02-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. They wouldn't have tried to Panda apparel?
    They would profit from Panda apparel no matter if he was on the Red Sox or some other team. The profit on MLB licensed apparel etc gets split 30 ways.

Major Leaguer
    They would profit from Panda apparel no matter if he was on the Red Sox or some other team. The profit on MLB licensed apparel etc gets split 30 ways.
    I think it's pretty safe to say that when a popular player switches teams, the sales of that player's MLB licensed jersey/t-shirts etc. increase exponentially, so my guess is that a marketing guy like Lucchino would obviously know this.

I think it's pretty safe to say that when a popular player switches teams, the sales of that player's MLB licensed jersey/t-shirts etc. increase exponentially, so my guess is that a marketing guy like Lucchino would obviously know this.
    And 1/30th of that is all that the Red Sox would get. The Red Sox only get a 1/30th share of all MLB licensed revenue.

I wish I was kidding.
    I think they might have viewed Pablo as Papi light (pun intended).

Maybe they felt he was "clutch", because I hear team management people believe in that type of stuff.

I think they took a long view: upgrade offense that year and pitching the next year when so many FA aces were to be available.

Pablo and HanRam happened to be two of the best offensive players available that winter at areas they needed, although they forced HR into a position he never played.

I think the theory was sound, but the timing and execution fell way short.

Maybe they felt Papi would help Pablo get back to his previous level of play and continue blasting away in October.

HanRam was at least a legitimate hitter showing some signs of health concerns and up and down years, but no clear decline trend like Pablo.

I would have been fine with HanRam at 3B and signing Scherzer or re-signing Lester, but I still thought HR was a mistake too.