Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Closer's opportunities?

Closer's opportunities?

Last season Kimbrel had his career worst ERA, 3.40. But with the potency of the Sox lineup and the league leading offensive numbers, Kimbrel still appeared in 57 games, the fewest since his rookie season with the Braves.

So I'm guessing that this year's team is going to score a ton of runs leaving even fewer save situations for the closer.

I'm thinking maybe 48 appearances.

Over/under????????

I don't know about appearances, but I think he'll get plenty of saves. Part of the reason why his appearances were so low last year is because of the injury he had in the middle part of the season. With the Blue Jays and Orioles also forming legit WS contenders in this division, all of the 38 combined games against those two are expected to be close. I see the AL as really wide open this year. There's obviously Cleveland and Texas, but I think the Astros are going to be really good, Seattle to make a push for the WC, and the Tigers to be contend as long as they stay healthy. I think there will be plenty of save opportunities. I wouldn't be surprised to see 60-65 appearances, and if all goes right, 40+ saves.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

As Thunder says he was on the DL in July last year.

We're not expected to score as many runs this year without Papi.

I'd put the over/under at 60.

I also think with the starting pitching and bullpen improved, add that with PAPI gone..... More one run games. If Kimbrel is the Kimbrel I think he is ,we will see him close a ton of games. It's just what Bellhorn said on his second line are O will be fine but or D and overall pitching will be very good. I still say that even with Price coming back in late May or early June. That's pure speculation on my part. JMO

Legend
    FanGraphs Depth Charts, Steamer and ZiPS project Craig Kimbrel with 65, 65 and 60 appearances, respectively, in 2017:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...655&position=P

Only an injury and/or woeful performance would limit Kimbrel to fewer than 50 appearances this year.

I'm still inclined to think that even without Papi, this team will score a lot of runs, and have way fewer close games, with more games with leads of four or more runs in the ninth inning. If this holds true, Kimbrel will get fewer 'Save' opportunities.

I happen to think there will be more close game wins this year than last year. 60-65 sounds about right.

Craig will be fine this year and he said he is healthy and excited for the season. Last season he had an injury and was banged up in the later part of the season (or maybe mid way) Our closing roll is the last thing I am overly worried about.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I happen to think there will be more close game wins this year than last year. 60-65 sounds about right.
    Appearances? Sure. But they won't all be opportunities. Not that many. ..

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Appearances? Sure. But they won't all be opportunities. Not that many. ..
    right. yeah I don't think Kimbrel will notch 60 saves. LOL

All-Star
    Kimbrel won't save more than 25 games

We will win 75 games by 6+ runs