Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2017 Yankees Minor League Thread

Legend
    Fantastic I'll get to see Acevedo on Thursday, unless some move is made.

Legend
    I want to ask you what you think your Pitching staff could look like in 2020.
    Severino
    Montgomery
    Adams
    Acevedo
    Herrera
    Good guess?

Too many variables and you must remember the philosophy of TINSTAAPP. Pitchers will fade out as they have high injury and ineffectiveness rates and some will invariably move to the pen. We have a ridiculous amount of pitching talent, though. If you want to play that game, I think it's best just to see the depth chart as is

Severino

Montgomery

They have locked up long term roles. I know JMont just went down to AAA, but it wasn't due to performance. I think they're keeping him stretched out as insurance until Sept 1 and he comes back up as a lefty reliever when rosters expand. NYY knew after getting Gray that he wasn't going to be on the PO pitching staff, and they went with veteran consistency in Garcia (we shall see).

The high level wave

Adams

Sheffield

Acevedo

Adams is the most complete pitcher. All of the above sit mid to high 90s. All have at least one good secondary pitch. Adams is a 4 pitch pitcher with the best command of the bunch. Sheffield is the youngest and he's the lefty here. Acevedo has the most power. All 3 have top half of the rotation ceilings with Acevedo's ceiling is probably the highest yet toughest to reach due to his size and power

The fringes of the high level

Mitchell

German

Cessa

These guys all have been on the shuttle with varying degrees of success and frustration. All have power, with Mitchell able to run it up into the high 90s. All have inconsistent secondary stuff. If either of them click, they do have the kinds of power arms that could lock down a slot, but they're being passed by the guys above

A Ball

Tate

Perez

Abreu

There's more talent in A ball, but these are the giants down there. The rest need to sort themselves out as there are plenty of guys with big arms who look pen destined. Tate was drafted 4th overall in 2015 but his mechanics were all screwed up with Texas. We got him for Beltran and initially converted him to pen work. He worked on his mechanics all offseason, but had an injury that limited him out of the blocks. Since coming into the rotation in Tampa, he has been lights out. They haven't moved him aggressively because I think the Yankees just want him to have a successful year, but he's going to be fast tracked next year. He has true ace level stuff and he might end up being the best pitcher in our system if he hits his ceiling. Perez is huge with a huge fastball, good command and already a plus breaking ball. NY goes slow with the giants, so he will likely go one level at a time for this and next year. Abreu has the best velocity in the system, routinely hitting 101-102. He's also currently injured and has missed most of the season. My assumption is it is arm related and I hope if it's elbow they just fix it before we run into another Kaprielian saga

The Rest

Guzman

Schmidt

Sauer

This is the pile the Yankees will draw from. We just drafted 9 out of our top 10 picks as pitchers, so guys can emerge from this at any time. Guzman we got with Abreu for McCann. He throws 100 with developing secondary stuff. He's in the NYP dominating and looking like he might jump to Tampa out the gate next year. Schmidt was a top 10 pick before needing TJS. He's noted to have a hard sinker running mid 90s with the secondary pitches and stuff to be dominant. We shall see how he does when he is healthy towards the end of next year. Sauer is the HSer we drafted who tops out at 98 with a wipeout slider. We will likely try him on the mound as a starter and see if he can work on a change.
    Hal sucks

Legend
    Went to the Trenton game tonight, that kid Estrada impresses me. Aaron Hicks was there for a rehab, no big deal saw him play Double AA for New Britain, a few years ago when he was with the Twins.
    Camarena got hit hard, but your Relievers shut them down. Amazes me that even your low level Pitchers are ahead of Portland. This kid Estrada is going to push Torres.
    Going tomorrow too, good to be retired.

Estrada can play and he has good makeup. He's a high average, middling power guy who picks it well at SS. The problem with him is that he doesn't really wow you with any skill unlike Torres, and Didi is ahead of him. But I could see a case where he takes over 2b at some point

Legend
    Couldn't make yesterdays game with Trenton, but going for sure to see Acevedo tonight.

Just read Tampa had 25 K's in 14 innings, rated best Pitching Staff in A+ Ball. My fellow Sox Fans better know whats coming soon.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-10-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Couldn't make yesterdays game with Trenton, but going for sure to see Acevedo tonight.

Just read Tampa had 25 K's in 14 innings, rated best Pitching Staff in A+ Ball. My fellow Sox Fans better know whats coming soon.
    Even though you're rooting for the wrong team, do you like the atmosphere at Dunkin' Donuts Park? The Yard Goats have been a huge success, much more than anyone could've expected after the controversy regarding the construction of that beautiful ballpark. I've been there several times, even played there once, and loved every minute of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Legend
    Love it. Keep your friends close your enemies closer. Saw Acevedo, kid is real deal. Throws real hard. Heavy ball too. Gave up HR on Curve. Needs seasoning on secondary Pitches. Kid is a Major leaguer, as early as next year.
    Been going to games since 1971, Bristol, Ct. After serving in Vietnam, (2 Tours), it made me feel good. Went to New Britain games too, Twins Farm to see kid like David Ortiz. Not a Sox affiliate. Was at 1 time. Saw Clemens pitch game winning Championship game for Double AA. Same year Texas won it all.
    You drive all the way to Boston, I get to see them before anybody in a 15 minute drive, and more fun, and cheaper. Got me autographs and Photos too, with my kids. Cost 0 dollars.
    Love the Minors.
    Getting back to Acevedo, Sox have nothing like him in Double AA, and probably Triple AAA. He dominates. Watching his pitch count, probably why he isn't in Triple AAA. Too good for Double AA hitters. Getting back to Yanks Farm, which I have been following their Pitching, which more Sox Fans like me should be aware of, they have 3 to 4 kids, (more are coming),which will make the Majors, and make a difference in 2 no more than 3 years, against us.
    Yanks are loaded in Pitching in the Minors.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-11-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Love it. Keep your friends close your enemies closer. Saw Acevedo, kid is real deal. Throws real hard. Heavy ball too. Gave up HR on Curve. Needs seasoning on secondary Pitches. Kid is a Major leaguer, as early as next year.
    Been going to games since 1971, Bristol, Ct. After serving in Vietnam, (2 Tours), it made me feel good. Went to New Britain games too, Twins Farm to see kid like David Ortiz. Not a Sox affiliate. Was at 1 time. Saw Clemens pitch game winning Championship game for Double AA. Same year Texas won it all.
    You drive all the way to Boston, I get to see them before anybody in a 15 minute drive, and more fun, and cheaper. Got me autographs and Photos too, with my kids. Cost 0 dollars.
    Love the Minors.
    Getting back to Acevedo, Sox have nothing like him in Double AA, and probably Triple AAA. He dominates. Watching his pitch count, probably why he isn't in Triple AAA. Too good for Double AA hitters. Getting back to Yanks Farm, which I have been following their Pitching, which more Sox Fans like me should be aware of, they have 3 to 4 kids, (more are coming),which will make the Majors, and make a difference in 2 no more than 3 years, against us.
    Yanks are loaded in Pitching in the Minors.
    Thanks for the input

What about his control? Is he wild? I read he reaches up to 101 with his FB, usually those young pitchers with that type of velocity are often wild.

Legend
    He was a little off last night, I think he was working on his secondary pitches more. He's got a good Change-up, others are a work in progress. When he wants he just throws by the hitters, over 100 MPH easy motion too. Gets on hitters quickly. Deceptive a little. Not wild on his fastballs. Good control.
    Catchers Glove Pops, hear it throughout Ball Park. Missed something Special last night, if you live in Ct.
    DAMN YANKEES!
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-11-2017 at 10:10 AM.

A rare occurrence was clinched last night. The Yankees will have a playoff team at every level of the stateside minors.

AAA SWB
    AA Trenton
    A+ Tampa
    A Charleston
    NYP SI
    Pulaski
    GCL Yankees East

Yeah too bad GCL West couldn't make it also. Bunch of scrubs.