Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Theo Epstein; Greatest Baseball Executive Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Elston Howard, NYY 1955.

Pumpsie Green, BOS 1959.

To count breaking a curse as more important than breaking the color barrier is losing sight of history. Only 2 other teams had a black player on their team 2.5 years later! Only 6 teams had black players by early SEPT 1953!

It's quite possible that enormously important things happened before we were born or started watching baseball.
    now come on moon. i never said it was "more important". the decision that Branch made had massive implications, but as a GM to want a player of Jackie's ability playing for your team is not a terribly hard decision.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I realize this is a debatable point. But I think that a lot of what makes Theo's accomplishment with the Cubs such a great one is the burden of expectations that it was done with. From the moment it was known that he was going to the Cubs, the story was in place - the guy who broke the Red Sox curse is now going to try to do the same for the Cubs! Building a playoff team wasn't really good enough - it was trophy or failure. That's a pretty big ask.
    When you really think about it, it's not any bigger of an ask than a new GM taking over where a team is not in good shape.

A lot of work to put people in play to change things. All types of moves to upgrade talent and to win more than previously.

The Fact that Theo had a storied past was something that changed the level of hype and the story line.

The actual work done was nothing extraordinary.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

By the time this discussion is over, Theo will suck LOL
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I realize this is a debatable point. But I think that a lot of what makes Theo's accomplishment with the Cubs such a great one is the burden of expectations that it was done with. From the moment it was known that he was going to the Cubs, the story was in place - the guy who broke the Red Sox curse is now going to try to do the same for the Cubs! Building a playoff team wasn't really good enough - it was trophy or failure. That's a pretty big ask.
    The story was a great one.

From a fan's perspective, what Theo did was priceless - twice!

From a GM's perspective, he had a big budget to work with, and with the Sox a nice foundation to start with.

Theo's the greatest I've seen, but history shows others are at least as good, if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    now come on moon. i never said it was "more important". the decision that Branch made had massive implications, but as a GM to want a player of Jackie's ability playing for your team is not a terribly hard decision.
    Did Theo get death threats for signing Lester?

Signing Jackie was an extremely difficult decision.