Register now to remove this ad

Thread: New member: Introducing Gloves Go Far

New member: Introducing Gloves Go Far

Hello,

I live in Belmont and have been a fan for a long time.

Not sure how to start this or where to introduce it but, here goes: Nicaragua, like the Dominican Republic, has baseball as its national sport. I've been going there for over 10 years, doing "missions". Eye doctors, regular doctors, helping schools, teaching english.... but a couple of year ago I began Gloves Go Far myself. You can see all about it here www.facebook.com/glovesgofar. Its the first or second poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, and yes, outhouses are the norm. A baseball glove is precious and 'too expensive" household item for most families.

I go every year with used gloves and some other stuff, that might fit the weight and size limits. I'm about to ramp up this years campaign, and thought I'd post it here. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get more gloves, please let me know.

In short, I'd like to get used kid-sized gloves, or donations to buy them on eBay which is the most efficient way to go, I have found over the years. Condition doesn't matter. And, new gloves are generally NOT desirable. Why? Customs will assume I'm going there to sell them, even if I have a letter from my sponsors (which I get every year). However, if somehow, someway some corporate sponsor wanted to step up and say, donate defective or irregular gloves (which is very OK!), I probably could make it work.

These are hand carried, in the process I've been doing for years, so they absolutely get to who they are intended for. Shipping is not a great option. But could be considered if all things come together, but financially its not a great way to go, unless scaled up etc.

If you look at the timeline of the FB page you'll see its all legit.

Any advice appreciated!
    Bill Tea
    Last edited by Bill Tea; 11-15-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tea View Post
    Hello,

I live in Belmont and have been a fan for a long time.

Not sure how to start this or where to introduce it but, here goes: Nicaragua, like the Dominican Republic, has baseball as its national sport. I've been going there for over 10 years, doing "missions". Eye doctors, regular doctors, helping schools, teaching english.... but a couple of year ago I began Gloves Go Far myself. You can see all about it here www.facebook.com/glovesgofar. Its the first or second poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, and yes, outhouses are the norm. A baseball glove is precious and 'too expensive" household item for most families.

If you look at the timeline of the FB page you'll see its all legit.

Any advice appreciated!
    Bill Tea
    Just a quick check in, if anyone is involved in town or local little leagues and would like to try to do a "glove-raiser" to collect used gloves: smaller sizes preferred, any condition is OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tea View Post
    Just a quick check in, if anyone is involved in town or local little leagues and would like to try to do a "glove-raiser" to collect used gloves: smaller sizes preferred, any condition is OK!
    OK, well, was looking for a little holiday spirit.

Maybe I'll post on Off-Topic