Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: carlos beltran signs with astros....

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It was said the Sox really wanted Beltran. They even tried to get him at the deadline.

This may be a sign we are looking to stay under the limit and reset the tax rate for next year's better FA class.
    Or, as Kimmi said, it very possibly might mean that DD has another plan.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Or, as Kimmi said, it very possibly might mean that DD has another plan.
    Very true, but if we are going to go bold, this was a pretty cheap option we passed by.

I didn't want Beltran--I'm happy to see him sign elsewhere. He will play most of next season at age 40, an age where very few hitters produce at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I didn't want Beltran--I'm happy to see him sign elsewhere. He will play most of next season at age 40, an age where very few hitters produce at a high level.
    One could say the same about 38 ans 39 year olds.

One could say the same about 38 ans 39 year olds.
    Beltran has been breaking down physically. Aches, pains and injuries led to him having subpar season in 3 of the last four years.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I thought that the Astros were in the lead for EE.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Beltran has been breaking down physically. Aches, pains and injuries led to him having subpar season in 3 of the last four years.
    His "subpar" is better than what we have.

.842 2012 619 PAs
    .830 2013 600 PAs
    .703 2014 449 PAs
    .808 2015 531 PAs
    .850 2016 593 PAs

I see more PAs this year than any year since 2013.

I see his highest OPS in the last 5 seasons.

If that's breaking down, sign me up!

.842 2012 619 PAs
    .830 2013 600 PAs
    .703 2014 449 PAs
    .808 2015 531 PAs
    .850 2016 593 PAs

LOL...yup! sign me up also....

.842 2012 619 PAs
    .830 2013 600 PAs
    .703 2014 449 PAs
    .808 2015 531 PAs
    .850 2016 593 PAs

2016 was a very good season, but a last blast for the aging Beltran.

2015 .808 OPS ranks 44th --plenty of players who are less expensive ranked ahead of him
    2014 .703 OPS ranks 104th
    2013 .830 OPS ranks 32nd behind Daniel Nava

So, yes those years 2013-2015 were subpar years for Beltran who has arguably had an HOF career. He is breaking down.

2016 was a very good season, but a last blast for the aging Beltran.

2015 .808 OPS ranks 44th --plenty of players who are less expensive ranked ahead of him
    2014 .703 OPS ranks 104th
    2013 .830 OPS ranks 32nd behind Daniel Nava

So, yes those years 2013-2015 were subpar years for Beltran who has arguably had an HOF career. He is breaking down.
    .830 is a very good year also, and his PAs have shown no sign of "breaking down".

His career OPS is .845. He's been within .037 of his career number in 3 of his last 4 years.

I'm not saying he's not due for a sharp decline soon, but I don't agree that he's been sub par in 3 of his last 4 seasons. It's more like he's been right around his "par" in 4 of his last 5 seasons.

Nobody is expecting his prime year numbers next year. The expectation would be somewhere over .800 and 550+ PAs as mainly a DH.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 12-04-2016 at 03:05 AM.

.830 is a very good year also, and his PAs have shown no sign of "breaking down".

His career OPS is .845. He's been within .037 of his career number in 3 of his last 4 years.

I'm not saying he's not due for a sharp decline soon, but I don't agree that he's been sub par in 3 of his last 4 seasons. It's more like he's been right around his "par" in 4 of his last 5 seasons.

Nobody is expecting his prime year numbers next year. The expectation would be somewhere over .800 and 550+ PAs as mainly a DH.
    If par is his career averages, he has been below par and dragging down his career averages. OBP has been declining too. His power numbers have been unimpressive in light of the fact that he was playing in the bandbox at Yankee Stadium. Those numbers would be worse in Fenway. I like Beltran, and a one year deal doesn't have too much downside, but his career is on the downside.

Deity
    If Carlos Beltran is breaking down, Matt Holliday is legally dead...

Deity
    If par is his career averages, he has been below par and dragging down his career averages. OBP has been declining too. His power numbers have been unimpressive in light of the fact that he was playing in the bandbox at Yankee Stadium. Those numbers would be worse in Fenway. I like Beltran, and a one year deal doesn't have too much downside, but his career is on the downside.
    But even a declining Beltran is better than a lot of other options. I'd take a declining Beltran over a peaking Mitch Moreland or Adam Lind. Especially if the commitment involved was only one year...

Deity
    I like Beltran, and a one year deal doesn't have too much downside, but his career is on the downside.
    On a one year deal, there is no real need to worry about his career trajectory. He had a terrific season last year and is unlikely to duplicate it. But how much does he have to drop off before people start thinking "we should have signed Logan Morrison!!"?

For one year, he would have been acceptable. For multiple years, his inevitable decline becomes a bigger factor. ..

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Smart deal for Beltran, like him too. As a GM I'm not doing it. I'll pay you 16 million for next year, but if were in last place or struggling, I cannot move you to improve for future, forget it.
    You sign a FA you should always be able to move him. Got to think future.
    Because he does good doesn't mean Team will do good. Best time to Trade, Player doing well, and other Teams looking for help.
    It should be an investment, both for present and future.
    If Beltran is playing well next season, he would be very tradeable. Why wouldn't he be?