$13M is insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm glad it was them not us.

$13M is insanity.
    i agree..who's going to get EE?

Quote Originally Posted by raider_35_24 View Post
    Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 5m5 minutes ago
    #Yanks in agreement on Holliday 1 yr $13M
    It's a good signing for the Yankees. He gives protection for Sanchez. For us the move makes no sense. LHH needed. Unless they see Panda having a bounce back year after two lousy years.

MH turns 37 in January.

He only has played in 183 games total over the last two years.

His OPS has been in near steady (but slow) decline since 2010:

.922 2010
    .912 2011
    .877 2012
    .879 2013
    .811 2014
    .804 2015
    .782 2016

His lefty-righty splits are exactly the same over his career though.

Yankees sign Matt Holliday

1 yr $13 mil. This is a great buy low DH signing with limited long term commitment. Very happy we have him vs EE
    Hal sucks

He does hit both handed pitching exactly equally over his career..

The thing I like here is that he's a good hitter who will basically be plopped into the DH role and will have no other required duties aside from maybe spelling Gardner or Bird at times. The duration of contract is huge as well. It positions us VERY well for the upcoming FAs to hit the market. If we reset for 2018 AND get Otani, that'd be huge
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The thing I like here is that he's a good hitter who will basically be plopped into the DH role and will have no other required duties aside from maybe spelling Gardner or Bird at times. The duration of contract is huge as well. It positions us VERY well for the upcoming FAs to hit the market. If we reset for 2018 AND get Otani, that'd be huge
    Maybe the DH role will help minimize his lost time. I think he's only played 183 games over the last 2 years.

Break out The Chart.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Exactly. DH should be better for his body. And if he sucks, it's one year

Quote Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
    break out the chart.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Exactly. DH should be better for his body. And if he sucks, it's one year
    Being a one year deal, this does make a lot more sense than Encarnacion would, in terms of the long term plan.

Exactly. This team is not built to be a WS contender in 2017. We need to add pieces that are short term options. If the kids arrive early and produce, then the added pieces need to not be in the way. If the kids take their time, these additions cannot be long term as to get under the cap prior to Machado and Harper hitting the open market.

I am surprised that we haven't dealt away Gardner. He's an intriguing piece for a contender looking for a good glove leadoff hitter. And we have Hicks, Ellsbury, Austin and Judge already floating out there with Mason Williams edging in and Clint Frazier on the cusp. Gardy seems to be an extraneous piece for us, especially as we head into 2017 looking to give kids some time, but could be a final piece for a contender on the cusp
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    lol
    If you only knew that chart!!!

If the Yankees had signed EE the Good Doctor would be extolling the genius that is Cashman and how EE is the guy that will power the Yankees to division tittles for five years.

I like Jacko alot so don't get me wrong.

But every once in while his Chart think overcomes his common sense and we get an earful.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."