Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Third III

Talk is cheap.

Let's see some results on the field before we start licking his nut sack.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

That's great and all, but can we have that $35.2M back?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Personally my expectations are fairly low. When the season starts, Sandoval will not have faced MLB pitching on a consistent basis for 18 months. As he was not exactly a stellar hitter to begin with, I don't expect a rapid adjustment.

My hope is he turns out like Lackey. Gives two awful seasons with a missed year and miraculously turns it around. But that's probably too much to expect. ..
    Fair point about Sandoval not facing MLB pitching for 18 months. It would be a mistake for the Sox not to have a solid Plan B. That said, I think I'm a little more optimistic about him than most. I don't expect an All-Star, but I think he can be a solid player for us both offensively and defensively.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Fair point about Sandoval not facing MLB pitching for 18 months. It would be a mistake for the Sox not to have a solid Plan B. That said, I think I'm a little more optimistic about him than most. I don't expect an All-Star, but I think he can be a solid player for us both offensively and defensively.
    If he's a complete failure, they can go with Rutledge/Holt/Hernandez for a bit and then go get someone outside of the organization at some point during the season. Moreland could even play there in a pinch.

At this point, he seems to be in great shape, he's saying all of the right things and he makes too much money not to give him a chance. I have a feeling that he might surprise some people this year. If not, they'll go get someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Ballgame View Post
    If he's a complete failure, they can go with Rutledge/Holt/Hernandez for a bit and then go get someone outside of the organization at some point during the season. Moreland could even play there in a pinch.

At this point, he seems to be in great shape, he's saying all of the right things and he makes too much money not to give him a chance. I have a feeling that he might surprise some people this year. If not, they'll go get someone else.
    I agree.

I like that we got Rutledge back.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Ballgame View Post
    Moreland could even play there in a pinch.
    Uhh, no? Moreland throws left. Lefthanded throwers never play infield positions other than first base. Throwing left puts your throwing arm on the wrong side of your body to play defense at second, third or short. It demonstrably takes a fatal extra half second for a lefthanded thrower to make throws to first at these positions.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Legend
    The White Sox have requested waivers on infielder Brett Lawrie:

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/837728288881565697

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...tt-lawrie.html

Lawrie is only 27 years old but I'm not sure what he has left.

I saw him when he came up with Toronto. He had a lot of buzz as a wonder talent.

I never saw him do anything remotely memorable and I watch all the games that the Sox play against Toronto.

Unless he has some kind of significant injury why would you wonder how much he has left in the tank?

I can see him signing on as a back-up infielder with someone.

I can also see him riding a AAA bus for the season.

A player of no consequence that the Sox would be well advised to ignore. We have no need for this guy at all, even if Pablow fails to produce.

It is kind of interesting that he was a 16th pick and now at 27 he is backing out the door of his MLB career.

I hope that he has been smart with his money.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Why do we want to keep picking up everyone else's trash? We got enough fat fucks already on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The White Sox have requested waivers on infielder Brett Lawrie:

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/837728288881565697

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...tt-lawrie.html

Lawrie is only 27 years old but I'm not sure what he has left.
    If you could stash him in AAA until he gets over his injury, he'd be an interesting piece. He was decent enough before the injury bug got him again last year. He's just a guy that struggles to stay healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Sandoval is actually playing quite well this spring, or at least better than I expected. He's making the routine plays at 3b and is making solid contact with his bat. Nobody is ready to name the game after him and if he keeps performing at this level hell be overpaid but at least he's looking servicable as a 3Bman. That makes him a,pleasant surprise for me.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Sandoval is actually playing quite well this spring, or at least better than I expected. He's making the routine plays at 3b and is making solid contact with his bat. Nobody is ready to name the game after him and if he keeps performing at this level hell be overpaid but at least he's looking serviceable as a 3Bman. That makes him a,pleasant surprise for me.
    I second this opinion.

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I've said all along that Panda will be the opening day 3b.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    He could be an alternative to Rutledge and take some right handed at bats from Pablo.

Pablo has looked good so far. Hopefully he gets off to a good start to open the season.