Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The view from the announcers

The view from the announcers

Every year the local radio station that carries the Red Sox games (and is owned by author Stephen King) has a "Hot Stove Night" during the winter. They rent a large conference room at a local Civic Center where they provide "ballpark food"- hot dogs, popcorn, chips, and soda - and a couple of the broadcasters are invited. This year it was Joe Castiglione (who has a sister living in the area) and Dave O'Brian. And it's always free.

While tickets are free they usually have to be "won" by playing some lame games where everyone who enters "wins" until the 500 tickets are gone. Then any unclaimed tickets are released to sponsors who make them available to anyone who visits their businesses.

The Emcee, who hosts a daily radio sports talk show, introduces the guests who then talk about the previous year and the upcoming season for about 30 minutes, then it gets turned over to questions from the floor coming from schmucks like you and me. The whole thing including a local comedian who "warms up" the crowd takes about three hours.

Here's the link to the story in the local newspaper this morning about the event.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/12/1...-after-trades/

There's not much here that we haven't already talked about and for the most part agreed on, but I thought I'd pass it on just as a topic of interest. The most significant thing that wasn't mentioned is that when asked about what DD had done to the farm system there was what could best be described as a "pregnant pause" while Stiggy and O'B had a distinct deer-in-the-headlights look and there was some laughter in the crowd.

This has happened every winter for the past 15 or so years and is the toughest sports ticket in the area in spite of it being free.

Anyway,... enjoy.
    Last edited by S5Dewey; 12-13-2016 at 09:19 AM.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

AWESOME. Thanks for sharing. as a Red Sox fan that does not live in New England i love hearing about stuff like this.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    AWESOME. Thanks for sharing. as a Red Sox fan that does not live in New England i love hearing about stuff like this.
    Thanks Slash. There's another one in Portland put on by the Sea Dogs in January but the format is a lot different. The one in Portland is a buffet dinner with mostly Sea Dogs exec's and player alumni and often a guest speaker whom we all recognize. Last year it was Johnny Damon and this year it's Jason Varitek. And there's no Q & A period.

This one is decidedly NOT free, but the proceeds go to "Stamp out Cancer in Kids" so it's a great cause. If there's interest I'll post about that when it happens.

On a personal note if you don't mind... my son has a birthday in December and that's always my birthday gift to him. It's a nice baseball/bonding evening for dad and son.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

awesome!
    nothing better than baseball + son.

(i am a december birthday too. 28th).
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    awesome!
    nothing better than baseball + son.

(i am a december birthday too. 28th).
    I've got two kids, both born in December (3rd & 12th). My ex-wife wouldn't even shake hands with me in March.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I've got two kids, both born in December (3rd & 12th). My ex-wife wouldn't even shake hands with me in March.

" My ex-wife wouldn't even shake hands with me in March", probably because she doesn't get the gist as to the importance of Spring Training!

All-Star
    Takes one to know one. I was born Dec. 11, 1924. Yep, 92 and NOT counting.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    Takes one to know one. I was born Dec. 11, 1924. Yep, 92 and NOT counting.
    Happy late birthday Bosoxmal. You go dude! You're awesome!

I hope you have many more!

There are three big Red Sox events in my neck of the woods over the winter and the most recent one was on Friday night (1/13). The Sea Dogs put on a big charity buffet dinner (1000+ people) with a few Sox guests and this year the guests were Ben Crockett - VP. Player Development, Ryan Court - UIF in Portland and Pawtucket last year, Frank Wren - VP Player Personnel, Carlos Febles - Mgr of the Sea Dogs in 2017, and some guy named Jason Varitek.

Crockett talked about how difficult it is to see high school players and trying to predict what they'll become both physically and mentally/emotionally, but he also touched on how much harder is is to try to predict the same things about the Latin American players.

Court told about how he felt he was out of baseball a couple of years ago and started playing in an Independent league. Then the Sox offered him a contract and he talked about how happy he was to be in AAA last year. Nice kid, but at age 27 probably isn't going anyplace.

Wren discussed the current strategy of trading off prospects to get the established players. According to him the FO is very happy with where they are in that they have a young established team that they feel will carry them through the next four seasons, giving them time to revitalize the minors. He compared it to the Braves (which he was a part of) and how they acquired a few established players when they had Maddocks, Seaver, etc.. He said the situation was the same in Boston only different this year because the Braves had pitching so they traded for position players whereas the Sox had position players so they traded for pitching.

But the last two guys, Feebles and 'tek were the best interviews of the evening. According to Feebles he was responsible for two pitchers leaving the game - Heathcliffe Slocum and Jack McDowell. In each situation he hit a HR off of them and they were released the next day!

Tek is a great interview and if you get a chance to hear him I highly recommend it. He just kicked back, crossed his legs, and let it fly. He said that even when Kevin Millar was playing he was known as "Red Light". When the red light on the cameras came on he wanted to be right in front of it.

There was also a conversation regarding the Sox catchers - he thinks Vaz and Swihart are both the real deal, but he also said that he wouldn't be surprised if Leon becomes a good enough hitter to stick with the team.

When asked about his future in baseball he said that when he heard that the Sox had picked up Sale his reaction was, "Wow. I l could lose 30 (lbs) and be the backup for this team!" :-) He also said that he very much likes what he's doing now - working with the catchers in the Sox organization - and sees himself remaining in the organization. The emcee tried to get 'tek to talk about aspirations of being a manager but 'tek refused to go there.

That's some of the highlights. Next up is John Farrell on Wednesday. Being a Red Sox fan in Maine in the winter ain't entirely bad!
    -Vin Scully

John Farrell was in Maine last night discussing the upcoming season, etc. Here's a link to the story about the third and final (AFAIK) Red Sox event in Maine this winter.

https://bangordailynews.com/2017/01/...nks-to-trades/

Edit: There's a bit of a misstatement in the article regarding signing a big bat. What Farrell actually said was that he didn't see the Sox signing a big middle of the order bat UNLESS, in a couple of weeks, guys like Napoli or Trumbo were still available and scrambling for a place to play in 2017.

Also, on the broadcasting front, Jerry Remy is coming back in a multi-year deal.

https://bangordailynews.com/2017/01/...lti-year-deal/
    Last edited by S5Dewey; 01-19-2017 at 09:19 AM.
    -Vin Scully

There's a bit of a misstatement in the article regarding signing a big bat. What Farrell actually said was that he didn't see the Sox signing a big middle of the order bat UNLESS, in a couple of weeks, guys like Napoli or Trumbo were still available and scrambling for a place to play in 2017.

If this is happens, then signing Moreland was a mistake.

Also, on the broadcasting front, Jerry Remy is coming back in a multi-year deal.

I've lost my appreciation of Remy to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Really? I though he was better last year. IMO O'Brien was able to draw out more of Jerry's knowledge than did Orsillo.
    -Vin Scully

Not me.

Really? I though he was better last year. IMO O'Brien was able to draw out more of Jerry's knowledge than did Orsillo.
    I think that I noticed that too. I kind of like the foolishness between Orsilo and Remy but it could get a to be a little much at times. He now does seem to be presenting more technical information about the game and how it is played and why. I kind of doubt that he stays for the entire three years do to age and health. Regardless, He still does a good job and remains one of the best color men I have heard.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Remy has looked better recently, because we've seen too much of Steve Lyons.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

He's knowledgeable, but I think his head has swollen.