Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Mike Trout

Deity

Mike Trout

Not that the Sox could or should get him, but I can't help but wonder why the Angels don't trade this guy.

As awesome as he is, the Angels are still not only a bad team, but their farm system is so devoid of talent, I think I'm listed as one of their top 20 prospects. So they have no one internally to build around Trout with, and next season his salary jumps to $34mill, or about 1/6 of the pre-tax limit. Meaning they will struggle to build around him with outside players, too.

So one of potentially the best players ever might be doomed to the obscurity of this MLB doormat for a huge portion of his career when he could be traded for a fortune in rebuilding pieces.

Is this a good non-move by the Angels?

They should trade him, but the Sox are probably near the bottom of the list of potential trade partners due to contract costs and out recent steep decline in available top prospects.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    They should trade him, but the Sox are probably near the bottom of the list of potential trade partners due to contract costs and out recent steep decline in available top prospects.
    We already spent our allowance.

But if I was GM of the Angels, I would try to trade New Jersey native Trout to the Yankees for a bunch of guys they got for breaking up last year's bullpen (Clint Frazier, Gleybar Torres, etc.) plus Gary Sanchez ( and maybe Brett Gardner to offset some cash).

Trout's salary for tax purposes is 24.08 million. He's under control until the end of 2020. They probably will trade him before then, the only question is when. Maybe they start entertaining bids next offseason.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Trout's salary for tax purposes is 24.08 million. He's under control until the end of 2020. They probably will trade him before then, the only question is when. Maybe they start entertaining bids next offseason.
    If they wait another year, he could be on the market at the same time ad Harper and Machado...