Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Hall of Fame class

2017 Hall of Fame class

congrats to ivan, bags, and raines for getting in.
    trevor hoffman 6 votes short. thats got to hurt.
    Vlad also short of the mark.

some interesting observations:
    Schilling lost momentum big time: 230 --> 199
    Clemens chances improving: 199 --> 239
    Same with Bonds: 195 --> 238
    edgar: 191 --> 259

Manny received 105 votes. i believe this was his first year of eligibility.
    shoutout to Varitek (2 votes) and Wakey-wakey (1 vote).
    other names i have posted under: none

Until Schill puts down the meth, he's not getting in. That guy is a mess right now.

Edgar only has 2 more shots at getting in. I'm not sure if he'll get there as he needs almost 100 more votes to get in. He deserves to be in though.

My ballot would have been:
    Ivan Rodriguez
    Tim Raines
    Jeff Bagwell
    Edgar Martinez
    Barry Bonds
    Roger Clemens
    Manny Ramirez
    Mike Mussina
    Vlad Guerrero
    Curt Schilling
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

There was a long article about hometown boy Jeff Bagwell in today's Hartford Courant. Well deserved. He did everything the right way, and everybody in CT still loves him.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    There was a long article about hometown boy Jeff Bagwell in today's Hartford Courant. Well deserved. He did everything the right way, and everybody in CT still loves him.
    Even if he juiced?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Even if he juiced?
    Especially because he didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Especially because he didn't.
    Has it been determined definitively that he did not juice?

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Hard to prove something didn't happen, and therein lies the conundrum.

Has it been determined definitively that he did not juice?
    The pathetic thing is that this question even needs to be asked by serious people.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Hoffman better get in next year. It's especially galling because you know Rivera is getting in on the first ballot.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    I also really want to know who voted for Wakefield.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I also really want to know who voted for Wakefield.
    Mama Wakefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    The pathetic thing is that this question even needs to be asked by serious people.
    So I am pathetic?

I don't know much about him other than what I hear on TV and of course what I read.

I think that MLB should adopt the Archie Bunker plan. Hand out syringes of Steroids and HGH as the players arrive at the clubhouse each day.

Then there will be an even playing field.

So I am pathetic?

I don't know much about him other than what I hear on TV and of course what I read.

I think that MLB should adopt the Archie Bunker plan. Hand out syringes of Steroids and HGH as the players arrive at the clubhouse each day.

Then there will be an even playing field.
    The vast majority would refuse to take them, even if they were legal.

Deity
    Bud Selig is in the Hall of Fame. I continue to be amazed by the number of people living in the glass houses of the world today. If he is in, the people who helped to put him there should not be penalized for doing what they did during the era that he oversaw. If it is even suggested that someone might have used steroids their HOF stock seems to go down - that is a joke.

We have no idea which players from that era were clean. At one time, all of baseball was rooting for ARod to break the home run records, because they thought he had done things "the right way" until he got caught.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."