Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yordano Ventura...

Deity

Yordano Ventura...

...died today in a car accident.

Former Sox prospect Andy Marte also died today in a seperate car accident. ..

RIP fellas. This past couple of years has really sucked so many have died young.

Yordano Ventura Dies In Car Crash

By Connor Byrne | January 22, 2017 at 10:01am CDT
    Royals right-hander Yordano Ventura died in a car crash in the Dominican Republic on Sunday morning. This was a separate crash from the one that took the life of Andy Marte in the Dominican on Sunday. Ventura was 25 years old.
    Tragically, Ventura is the second major league pitcher who has died over the past five months. Former Marlins ace Jose Fernandez passed away after a boating accident on Sept. 25. Like Fernandez, Ventura was an exceptional, hard-throwing talent who emerged as a key long-term building block for his franchise.
    Ventura signed with the Royals for a meager $28K as an international free agent in 2008. After climbing up the minor league ladder, Ventura ranked as Baseball America’s 26th-best prospect at the conclusion of the 2013 campaign. He debuted in the majors that year and then became a full-time big leaguer in 2014.
    Ventura was a standout as a rookie, as he pitched to a 3.20 ERA over 183 innings to help the Royals clinch their first playoff berth since 1985. His top performance that postseason came under awful circumstances in Kansas City’s in a Game 6 victory over the Giants in the World Series. After learning two days earlier that his friend, fellow Dominican and former Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras died (also in a car crash), Ventura fired seven shutout innings and surrendered just three hits to force a Game 7. The Royals went on to lose the series, but they returned to the Fall Classic in 2015 to defeat the Mets and end a 30-year championship drought.
    Prior to the 2015 campaign, Ventura inked a five-year, $23MM extension with the Royals that could have been worth $45MM and kept him with the team through the 2021 season.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Horrible.

Very sad news.

RIP

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    What are the odds of two MLB players dying in car crashes in the same country on the same day?

Awful.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    What are the odds of two MLB players dying in car crashes in the same country on the same day?

Awful.
    Very tragic news.

My understanding is that the way they drive in the Dominican Republic is crazy.

Who knows how it happened? A loss of any life is sad and unfortunate.

Young people die all the time in car accidents.

Imagine being a parent and losing your child of 25.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

RIP both.

a gentle reminder for us all to buckle up.
    other names i have posted under: none

Sad. We don't know the details , but I think some of these guys need better guidance. They often come from abject poverty. Then , they have more money than they dreamed of. This sometimes leads to reckless behavior. Fast cars , speeding , drinking and driving , etc. Don't know if that was the case here, but it happens too often to be ignored. Perhaps management , the union and the agents can work on it.

I have no words to describe how sad this makes me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

A report came out saying he was alive after the crash and a mob robbed him (including his WS ring) and left him for dead. I thought it was a hoax, but I called an ex-college teacher of mine who's a member of the National Police's PR department and he confirmed the report. That is fucked up. This country blows.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    A report came out saying he was alive after the crash and a mob robbed him (including his WS ring) and left him for dead. I thought it was a hoax, but I called an ex-college teacher of mine who's a member of the National Police's PR department and he confirmed the report. That is fucked up. This country blows.
    Get the fuck outta there...
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Here is the report (note: it's from Faux News, but they quoted Pedro):

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01...nt-in-d-r.html

Kansas City Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura was robbed and left to die after the car accident in the Dominican Republic that took his life on Sunday, former MLB star and Yordano’s compatriot Pedro Martinez said.

In a series of Monday night tweets, the Hall of Famer demanded an investigation on the matter and said he would be embarrassed of his country if the robbery version is confirmed.

Follow
    Pedro Martinez ✔ @45PedroMartinez
    "Ahora es más doloroso al saber que Yordano quedo vivo luego del accidente y en vez de alguien socorrerlo, le robaron y lo dejaron morir."

"How outrageous to know that a life like Yordano's could have been saved had it not been looted in the way they looted him," said the three-time Cy Young Award winner.

Ventura, 25, passed away after his vehicle veered of the road reportedly due to heavy fog.

"Now it is more painful to know that Yordano was alive after the accident and instead of being rescued, they robbed him and let him die," Martinez wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    That is just terribly fucked up.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."