Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mlb trying to raise the strike zone, make IBBs automatic

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar

mlb trying to raise the strike zone, make IBBs automatic

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/he...201839440.html

So making pitchers keep the ball up = more dingers and action, not necessarily speeding up the game.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

and starting every extra inning with a man on 2B. Interesting..... will have to give this some thought but as a 20 inning game survivor, I don't think I'd be wholly against it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-pl...224914115.html
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    and starting every extra inning with a man on 2B. Interesting..... will have to give this some thought but as a 20 inning game survivor, I don't think I'd be wholly against it.

Pretty radical idea for baseball.

IMO, it's the stupidest idea ever. Baseball is a beautiful game as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    IMO, it's the stupidest idea ever. Baseball is a beautiful game as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    what's broken is people's attention spans. You're asking them to devote 3 and a half hours every night, and that's just for 9 innings. I don't want them to go too far from the essence of baseball, but they're aware it's losing popularity.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Starting an inning with a gimme runner is possibly the worst idea in the history of human civilization. And yes, I am including the invention of both the Snuggie and the selfie stick. A slapstick sitcom set inside Buchenwald would be a better idea and probably even piss off fewer people.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

These kind of gimmicks should be avoided like the plague. What is next ? A home run hitting contest after 12 innings ? Look to speed the game up in other ways , but stay away from this kind of thing.

I think it would be much better to have the two Managers play Russian Roulette to decide things. Fans would stay to watch that.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It reminds me of the stupid college football OT rules.

what's broken is people's attention spans. You're asking them to devote 3 and a half hours every night, and that's just for 9 innings. I don't want them to go too far from the essence of baseball, but they're aware it's losing popularity.
    You could be right. They're obviously very concerned they're losing their audience.

I'm okay with the auto IBB, but that's minor.

Just speed up the time between pitches and enforce it.

Maybe try to cut down on the time between RP'ers somehow.

I'd like to restrict how many RP'ers you can use, but that seems too extreme and changes the game too much. That's where much of the "wasted time" comes from.

Changes are coming. It's not us they're worried about losing, it's the younger generation raised on internet and smartphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Changes are coming. It's not us they're worried about losing, it's the younger generation raised on internet and smartphones.
    I'm not sure any amount of rule changes will help enough to attract the tech-savvy new generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You could be right. They're obviously very concerned they're losing their audience.
    But they're NOT losing their audience. Baseball is making more money than it EVER has.

What we have here is executives guessing themselves into an early grave and making panic moves as a result. They're afraid that their fortunes are tied into an older generation and that as the years go on demographics will shift against them. They're ignoring the fact that baseball is the sport with THE greatest historical legacy of any major sport in North America, and only lost its primacy because of the strikes in the 90's followed by the idiocy of the league looking the other way vis-a-vis steroids in an effort to build the league's image back up afterward, which backfired explosively in the early 2000s.

Just give us baseball, cut the BS, and people will not only watch, but disillusioned fans (and their kids) will come back. All they need to do is cut the bullcrap they themselves keep trying to insert into the game. They seem constitutionally incapable of reaching that solution though..

Fortunately we have enough older execs that have seen generation shifts before that I have my doubts any truly radical changes will be made. A few more strikes called at the letters however is probably a good thing, since that's, you know, the actual strike zone, and I have no idea why umpires were allowed to reduce the strike zone to belt-to-knees as it is.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    But they're NOT losing their audience. Baseball is making more money than it EVER has.

What we have here is executives guessing themselves into an early grave and making panic moves as a result. They're afraid that their fortunes are tied into an older generation and that as the years go on demographics will shift against them. They're ignoring the fact that baseball is the sport with THE greatest historical legacy of any major sport in North America, and only lost its primacy because of the strikes in the 90's followed by the idiocy of the league looking the other way vis-a-vis steroids in an effort to build the league's image back up afterward, which backfired explosively in the early 2000s.

Just give us baseball, cut the BS, and people will not only watch, but disillusioned fans (and their kids) will come back. All they need to do is cut the bullcrap they themselves keep trying to insert into the game. They seem constitutionally incapable of reaching that solution though..

Fortunately we have enough older execs that have seen generation shifts before that I have my doubts any truly radical changes will be made. A few more strikes called at the letters however is probably a good thing, since that's, you know, the actual strike zone, and I have no idea why umpires were allowed to reduce the strike zone to belt-to-knees as it is.
    Well said Dojji.