Register now to remove this ad

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: 2017 Spring Training Thread - Everything Sox ST

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He made adjustments in 2015. Maybe he doesn't need to make more alterations, he just has to get more comfortable with the ones he made back then.
    I hope your right, but I saw the same long looping swing in sept and the playoffs, so I never saw the adjustments you spoke of. That's why when he said he was going to try harder to be consistent this year I wondered what additional improvement he was working on. So far it is hard to see any.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Personally, I don't think he will remain a streaky hitter. He may still have some hot streaks, but I think we'll see more consistency when he's not hot.

I don't see why we can't expect at least the same overall numbers since August 2015 to now. Over .800 and GG like defense in CF. If he has a full season of .700 here and there, I'll still take it.

I think it is a reasonable expectation. But the shape of his production over the season (very high variability) leaves him destined to be very frustrating at times at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    That's why they should be done in the off season.
    Players never, ever, ever, ever stop tinkering with their swing or pitching mechanics. It is a constant process. When you hear a team/player talking about off-season mechanical changes, that is a major overhaul (think Jason Heyward) not tinkering. JBJ's swing when he's going good is fluid. His problem is both mental (trying to uppercut everything) leading to mechanical (going from a slight uppercut to a loopy swing with a bad bat path). It's not a problem he can simply work on in the offseason since it's an in-season problem. The only one who can avoid those bad habits is himself, and he has to work on maintaining his adjustments during the season.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    I think it is a reasonable expectation. But the shape of his production over the season (very high variability) leaves him destined to be very frustrating at times at the plate.
    Specially when he's striking out a ton without walking. Because of his baserunning, lack of contact/power can be mitigated by OB ability and good baserunning, as mentioned.
    We miss you Mike.