Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 Man Roster

Deity

25 Man Roster

I think most teams have at least 23 or 24 roster spots figured out (barring injury) before spring training games even begin. And I think this does apply to the Sox.

So, before we even see that one player absolutely go off this spring and make a futile case for himself, I think the Sox only have one spot up for a roster battle.

In no particular order, I think the most likely candidates to either get demoted or waived are Rodriguez, Barnes and Hembree. With the first two, both do have options left and would not be gone all year.

Thoughts?

All-Star
    If Erod and Wright win rotation spots, probably means Pomerantz is going to the bullpen. If that happens I imagine Abad would be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    If Erod and Wright win rotation spots, probably means Pomerantz is going to the bullpen. If that happens I imagine Abad would be gone.
    I agree. I'd take Hembree over Abad for that last slot, but a DL (phantom or otherwise) might allow us to keep both guys without options.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I agree. I'd take Hembree over Abad for that last slot, but a DL (phantom or otherwise) might allow us to keep both guys without options.
    Phantom DL is possible. If not, sending Barnes to Pawtucket temporarily would allow the Sox to keep everyone. ..

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Phantom DL is possible. If not, sending Barnes to Pawtucket temporarily would allow the Sox to keep everyone. ..
    I think they have high hopes for Barnes this year, be very surprised if he is sent down.

Legend
    The conventional 25 man roster includes:
    5 SP
    7 RP
    2 Catchers
    6 IF
    5 OF

Our DH is an IF so he would count against those 6 so who do we have expected?

Starting IF would be Moreland, Pedroia, Bogaerts and Sandoval with Rameriz counting against the IF. Who is the 6th? Hernandez, Rutledge or Marrero?

Starting OF would we Betts, JBJ amd Beni leaving room for 2 (Holt and Swihart? or Seisky)

Catchers Leone, Vazquez

Starting 5 P Porcello, Price, Sale, ( 2 of Pomeranz, Wright, Rodreguez) with presumably one to the BP

BP Consisting of 6 plus one from above. Kelly, Thornburg, Ross, Henbree, Kimbrel, (Barnes or Abad) assuming Smith starts season on IR. That leaves Workman and Scott in limbo.

Anyone clarify where we are at this point? Still possible that injuries will determine a position or two.

Deity
    I think they have high hopes for Barnes this year, be very surprised if he is sent down.
    I think so too and I like him as a reliever.

But this isn't about hopes; it's about depth. And Barnes is on a very short list of Sox MLB pitchers with an option remaining. And players in his position do get sent to the minors all the time...

All-Star
    I would be very surprised if they sent him down, yes I understand the depth aspect, but they will have pretty good minor league depth.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    The conventional 25 man roster includes:
    5 SP
    7 RP
    2 Catchers
    6 IF
    5 OF

Our DH is an IF so he would count against those 6 so who do we have expected?

Starting IF would be Moreland, Pedroia, Bogaerts and Sandoval with Rameriz counting against the IF. Who is the 6th? Hernandez, Rutledge or Marrero?

Starting OF would we Betts, JBJ amd Beni leaving room for 2 (Holt and Swihart? or Seisky)

Catchers Leone, Vazquez

Starting 5 P Porcello, Price, Sale, ( 2 of Pomeranz, Wright, Rodreguez) with presumably one to the BP

BP Consisting of 6 plus one from above. Kelly, Thornburg, Ross, Henbree, Kimbrel, (Barnes or Abad) assuming Smith starts season on IR. That leaves Workman and Scott in limbo.

Anyone clarify where we are at this point? Still possible that injuries will determine a position or two.
    1. The sixth infielder will be Rutledge, who seemed like ab odd choice for a Rule 5 pick and was probably chosen fir a reason. Both Marrero and Hernandez have an option.

2. Holt and Young fill the outfield spots. Swihart will go to the minors. Sneaky will either go to Pawtucket or the waiver wire. (Or both at some point.)

3. Abad will make the team if he if healthy. If he was even on the border, he could have been non-tendered. But as the Sox opted to go to arbitration to determine his salary, and because he has no options left, he is absolutely safe for now...
    Last edited by notin; 02-26-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Is he clearly better than Hembree or Abad?

I like Barnes, too, but if keeping him on the 25 man means Hembree must be cut or traded, I could see him being sent to AAA. He'd be first in line for a call-up.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    1. The sixth infielder will be Rutledge, who seemed like ab odd choice for a Rule 5 pick and was probably chosen fir a reason. Both Marrero and Hernandez have an option.

2. Holt and Young fill the outfield spots. Swihart will go to the minors. Sneaky will either go to Pawtucket or the waiver wire. (Or both at some point.)

3. Abad will make the team if he if healthy. If he was even on the border, he could have been non-tendered. But as the Sox opted to go to arbitration to determine his salary, and because he has no options left, he is absolutely safe for now...
    If everyone is looking good and healthy, I still think trading Abad might not be a bad idea.

1. The sixth infielder will be Rutledge, who seemed like an odd choice for a Rule 5 pick and was probably chosen fir a reason. Both Marrero and Hernandez have an option.

I agree. Rutledge has to play himself out of a slot this spring to not make the opening day 25 man roster.

Young and Holt are locks. That puts Swi at AAA to develop his catching skills further.

My choices:

C: Leon & Vaz
    1B: Moreland & HanRam (DH vs RHPs)
    2B: Pedey
    3B: Pablo & Rutledge
    SS: Bogey
    UT: Holt
    LF: Beni & Young
    CF: JBJ
    RF: Betts
    SP: Sale, Porcello, Price, ERod, Wright
    RP: Kimbrell, Thornburg, Kelly, Ross, Pom, Barnes, Hembree (Abad on Phanton DL or Barnes to start season in AAA)

Carson Smith will join the 25 man roster at some point.

AAA players likely to see significant playing time:
    Swihart: C, DH, LF, corner IF?
    Hernandez: SS, 2B, 3B
    S Travis: 1B
    Selsky: LF
    Workman & Elias: SP/RP
    R Scott: RP
    Owens & Johnson: SP
    K Martin, N Ramirez, L Ysla: RP

Erod in my opinion definitely deserves a rotation spot. Young and talented. Wright likely will too.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Erod in my opinion definitely deserves a rotation spot. Young and talented. Wright likely will too.
    I agree he definitely should be in the rotation but they might prefer to preserve the depth.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Not likely.

Im no fan of Abad, but the Sox didn't go to arbitration to keep him as an insurance policy so they could pay him to pitch elsewhere..