Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Doug Fister

Deity

Doug Fister

... is still available.

It might not be such a bad idea to get one more level of depth in front of Henry Owens. Heck, Fister might be able to make the opening day rotation in Boston if he can get ready in time...

They already have 6 starters they are comfortable with and I don't think Fister would take a MiLB deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Maybe he won't, but his options are dwindling.

I figured him to be a Cardinal when Reyes went down but do far - nothing. The league wide lack of interest in Fister is somewhat perplexing. ..

All-Star
    His fastball velocity last year averaged 86 mph or close to that. Would not be a good look in the band box parks of the AL East.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    His fastball velocity last year averaged 86 mph or close to that. Would not be a good look in the band box parks of the AL East.
    87mph. I only offer this correction to compare it to his past.

He has never been a hard thrower. He had a terrific season in 2014 and his fastball only averaged 87.9 mph.

Of course he might have a physical issue or two now, which could be why no one has signed him. ..
    Last edited by notin; 03-02-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They already have 6 starters they are comfortable with and I don't think Fister would take a MiLB deal.
    I agree. Pass!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    I agree. Pass!
    The options are : Owens, Johnson, or Elias (who isn't even available yet). If Fister would take a minor league deal I would prefer him to the others.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    The options are : Owens, Johnson, or Elias (who isn't even available yet). If Fister would take a minor league deal I would prefer him to the others.
    not sure he would take a minors deal probably waiting for a injury to happen and a team gets desperate. The only pitcher I would take him over right now is Owens(you forgot Kendrick), he is stuff has drastically declined over the last couple of years.

not sure he would take a minors deal probably waiting for a injury to happen and a team gets desperate. The only pitcher I would take him over right now is Owens(you forgot Kendrick), he is stuff has drastically declined over the last couple of years.
    If he'd take a minor league deal, I would definitely pick him up. He may not amount to anything, but it couldn't hurt. That said, I agree that he's probably still holding out for a big league contract.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    If he'd take a minor league deal, I would definitely pick him up. He may not amount to anything, but it couldn't hurt. That said, I agree that he's probably still holding out for a big league contract.
    If he would, definitely.

There is no such thing as a bad minor league contract. ..

Legend
    Kendrick has had a good ST. I guess he would be the #7 SP right now. I don't think its a given that Price will even play this year, not yet anyway. Even if he does, 7 SPs will probably not be enough. Assuming Owens/Johnson/Elias are useless, we will still need one more SP, at least.

You guys sound like me last winter regarding Fister. I like him as an 7th or 8th SP depth piece this year. Why not? Well, unless it's about money. I wanted him last year as a depth for $2M ( maybe incentives ), but Houston swooped in at $7M. His ERA is rising and so is his BBs, but 180 innings and won 12 games. I'd have to look at his game logs to see if and how many of those 12 wins were really his but...

All-Star
    I'm pretty sure Price will be pitching maybe not in April but by May. Threw the ball 25 times into a net yesterday, and felt fine so he repeated it today. If concern was great the sox would not risk this so early in the process, have a lot of money invested in him.

I would rate Fister behind Elias and Johnson also. Velazquez has also been interesting.