1 5.56%
  • 81 - 86 wins (out of WC hunt)

0 0%
  • Below .500! These guys stink!

1 5.56%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Season Red Sox Wins Projection

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Our offense outscored the rest of the AL East by over 100 runs. No, our offense will not be as great without Papi, but it will still be pretty doggone good.

As I've said before, I'm a worrier. Not making the playoffs this season is not on my list of things to worry about.
    ... and 70 more runs than the Cubs. #1 in MLB: AB, Hits, Runs, 2B, TB, RBI, Avg, OBP, SLG, OPS. Our offense will suffer from not having Papi anymore. Suffer as in drop a spot or two from within the top 5 offenses, not suffer and miss the post season, I don't think. That'd be a whole hell of a lot of suffering. Moreland may only give us half of Papi's production, but using last years totals as a simple guide that'd still leave the Sox 1st and 2nd in many offensive categories and still a top 5 offense. The end of the day, it's how they match up against the AL East (not the entire MLB) anyway.

I do hope the Sox offense will be less streaky than last season. I still think if the Sox were less streaky and even scored less they'd win more games overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    ... and 70 more runs than the Cubs. #1 in MLB: AB, Hits, Runs, 2B, TB, RBI, Avg, OBP, SLG, OPS. Our offense will suffer from not having Papi anymore. Suffer as in drop a spot or two from within the top 5 offenses, not suffer and miss the post season, I don't think. That'd be a whole hell of a lot of suffering. Moreland may only give us half of Papi's production, but using last years totals as a simple guide that'd still leave the Sox 1st and 2nd in many offensive categories and still a top 5 offense. The end of the day, it's how they match up against the AL East (not the entire MLB) anyway.

I do hope the Sox offense will be less streaky than last season. I still think if the Sox were less streaky and even scored less they'd win more games overall.
    Exactly Emp. Personally, I think that the Sox will still be a top 3 offense, with slightly improved pitching even if Price is out all season.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Benintendi should make an impact. Pablo maybe is an upgrade over Shaw, who knows. There are no positives offensively to losing a guy who hit to a 1+ OPS. Your offense will suffer. The fix was to offset it by upgrading your rotation. The upgrade was Sale, but if you remove Price from the equation, then you're treading water for the most part. If Price is out for an extended period of time, you're going to be scrapping to make the playoffs
    33,332 of your posts are trolling. it is amazing to me how you have so many here snowed. well done sir.
    other names i have posted under: none

If Sale turns out to be the clubhouse poison I think he will be, we'll miss the playoffs. Otherwise, we should Win Dance Repeat about 90 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post

IMO this whole business about having the best offense in baseball last year has been a bit overblown. Ya, they scored a lot of runs but many of those runs were in blowout games. My general 'take' on the 2016 Sox is that they were a team that could really kick the crap out of a pitcher who wasn't pitching well but struggled against good pitching.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    IMO this whole business about having the best offense in baseball last year has been a bit overblown. Ya, they scored a lot of runs but many of those runs were in blowout games. My general 'take' on the 2016 Sox is that they were a team that could really kick the crap out of a pitcher who wasn't pitching well but struggled against good pitching.
    Are there any offenses that don't struggle against good pitching?

Isn't that why it's good pitching? The whole "X or Y can't hit good pitching" is intellectually lazy. If good pitchers could be hit consistently they would not be good pitchers.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Are there any offenses that don't struggle against good pitching?
    No, but is there another explanation for the inconsistencies of last year's offense?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    No, but is there another explanation for the inconsistencies of last year's offense?
    All offenses are inconsistent.

We were a little heavy on the blowouts last year, I agree with that part. That's a big part of why our Pythagorean W-L record was 5 wins higher than our actual record.

But to do a more meaningful analysis on offensive consistency you would have to go through the game logs and see how many times we scored 5 runs or more and compare to other teams, that type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Isn't that why it's good pitching? The whole "X or Y can't hit good pitching" is intellectually lazy. If good pitchers could be hit consistently they would not be good pitchers.
    Pitchers really struggled against Bonds from 2001 - 2004. Wonder what his secret was? Maybe the Sox need to figure that out and give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    94-68

On paper this is the best team in the American League.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    All offenses are inconsistent.

We were a little heavy on the blowouts last year, I agree with that part. That's a big part of why our Pythagorean W-L record was 5 wins higher than our actual record.

But to do a more meaningful analysis on offensive consistency you would have to go through the game logs and see how many times we scored 5 runs or more and compare to other teams, that type of thing.
    You also have to adjust for park setting. We should score more than most teams even with an equal offense. (We should also allow more runs, if equal.

It was the best team before Price went down. I think fully healthy, the sox edge the Indians by a win or two. Without Price for awhile, I think the Indians are top seed in the AL

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    You also have to adjust for park setting. We should score more than most teams even with an equal offense. (We should also allow more runs, if equal.
    Agreed.

93 looks like a good number