Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 189

Thread: 2017 Season General Discussion Thread

  1. #31
    Its really annoying the media is all looking at Bryce Harper as the bad guy in the incident. I hate when pitchers throw at a batter for "showing them up". Its one thing if the guy did something that could've legitimately injured someone or something (dirty slide, catcher takeout etc) but hitting a dude because your mad he hit a homer is such pussy shit. A batter can't do anything to defend himself and if he does, he'll get suspended more than you will, especially if its a starting pitcher, he'll miss one start max. If you don't want players showing you up, admiring home runs, or whatever, don't give up bombs to them, its that simple.

    It's also a joke that pitchers get mad at hitters for admiring home runs, but will stand on the pitchers mound and do dances and shit after saves (K-Rod, Valverde, Rodney, etc).

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Its really annoying the media is all looking at Bryce Harper as the bad guy in the incident. I hate when pitchers throw at a batter for "showing them up". Its one thing if the guy did something that could've legitimately injured someone or something (dirty slide, catcher takeout etc) but hitting a dude because your mad he hit a homer is such pussy shit. A batter can't do anything to defend himself and if he does, he'll get suspended more than you will, especially if its a starting pitcher, he'll miss one start max. If you don't want players showing you up, admiring home runs, or whatever, don't give up bombs to them, its that simple.

    It's also a joke that pitchers get mad at hitters for admiring home runs, but will stand on the pitchers mound and do dances and shit after saves (K-Rod, Valverde, Rodney, etc).
    Excellent post.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Really, Hunter Strickland? You wait 3 years to get back at Bryce Harper for daring to watch a HR that was done the line? So what, he hit two massive bombs off you BUT YOU WON THE SERIES. What a bitch.
    Douche move by Strickland.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  4. #34
    Yeah maybe a douche move by Strickland but that does not negate the fact that Harper is an entitled little punk-ass pussy himself.

    He is always about himself and his on field demeanor and attitude annoy the shit out of me.

    It's like he has not matured any since he was 14 years old.

    Fuck him.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Yeah maybe a douche move by Strickland but that does not negate the fact that Harper is an entitled little punk-ass pussy himself.

    He is always about himself and his on field demeanor and attitude annoy the shit out of me.

    It's like he has not matured any since he was 14 years old.

    Fuck him.
    He has not matured and he is a douche and that is the reason why Papelbon grabbed him by the throat in the dugout for all to see.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  6. #36
    Jonathan Papelbon is not exactly a sterling example of mental or emotional maturity. If he were any more mature than Harper, he wouldn't have been the one who got physical first. They're both idiots who became extremely popular through success at an age where most people still haven't figured out what they're doing with their lives. They let that go to their heads and became self-entitled dicks. The difference is, Harper's run is still in its beginning and Papelbon is already past his prime.


  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Jonathan Papelbon is not exactly a sterling example of mental or emotional maturity. If he were any more mature than Harper, he wouldn't have been the one who got physical first. They're both idiots who became extremely popular through success at an age where most people still haven't figured out what they're doing with their lives. They let that go to their heads and became self-entitled dicks. The difference is, Harper's run is still in its beginning and Papelbon is already past his prime.
    I can't recollect any instances of Papelbon being either a clubhouse problem or being a dick on the field or in the media while he was with the Red Sox. My recollection of the dugout encounter with Harper is that Harper had previously had gotten on Papelbon about something. I could be wrong but I think he criticized him for not drilling an opposing batter. Then Harper half-assed it so Papelbon let him hear it and I guess that he didn't like his response. Harper is a punk and he had it coming. He didn't look so tough when big Paps had him by the throat.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I can't recollect any instances of Papelbon being either a clubhouse problem or being a dick on the field or in the media while he was with the Red Sox. My recollection of the dugout encounter with Harper is that Harper had previously had gotten on Papelbon about something. I could be wrong but I think he criticized him for not drilling an opposing batter. Then Harper half-assed it so Papelbon let him hear it and I guess that he didn't like his response. Harper is a punk and he had it coming. He didn't look so tough when big Paps had him by the throat.
    This is my recollection as well. Although I don't even know what the tussle was about.

    We all see Pablebon as a dullard with a great arm. He made those stupid comments about the Boston fans compared to Philly fans. That was really dumb.

    But I don't care. I never gave him credit for being a strong mind. He was a great closer and really fun to watch.

    Harper, on the other hand, means next to nothing to me. He is a punk.

    His only "redeeming" quality is that he has a quality replica of MVP's beard.

    Fuck him.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    This is my recollection as well. Although I don't even know what the tussle was about.

    We all see Pablebon as a dullard with a great arm. He made those stupid comments about the Boston fans compared to Philly fans. That was really dumb.

    But I don't care. I never gave him credit for being a strong mind. He was a great closer and really fun to watch.

    Harper, on the other hand, means next to nothing to me. He is a punk.

    His only "redeeming" quality is that he has a quality replica of MVP's beard.

    Fuck him.
    I think that there is a tendency by north-easterners to assume that anyone with a southern or Louisiana accent is a dumb hick. I am not saying that Paps was a rocket scientist, but it is my understanding that his parents were educators at a University. His dad was not Jed Clampit who hunted varmint for dinner. Also, I remember Paps as a stand up guy with the Red Sox who never caused any problems. After he left Boston, he said a few derogatory things, but I can't blame him for being bitter. The Red Sox FO never even gave him a courtesy call when he was a FA. That would have rubbed me the wrong way, and there was a fair bit of negative sentiment from the fans directed toward him too after he had been nothing but a good player for the team. I think I might be bitter too. He certainly wasn't the most bitter ex Red Sox player. Clemens, Boggs and Nomar come to mind as being very bitter. I don't blame any of them as their exits were all accompanied with hit pieces from the media with the tacit consent of the FO.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  10. #40
    Now here's a piece of news everyone here can celebrate.

    Hawk Harrelson is retiring from broadcasting after 2018!

    Someone's gonna say it if I don't, so...

    He gone.

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Now here's a piece of news everyone here can celebrate.

    Hawk Harrelson is retiring from broadcasting after 2018!

    Someone's gonna say it if I don't, so...

    He gone.
    I don't mind Hawk. There are worse homers in other booths, and he isn't a horrible listen.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I don't mind Hawk. There are worse homers in other booths, and he isn't a horrible listen.
    One thing about Hawk, he's up-front about the homerism!

  13. #43
    Suspension for Harper and the gnat pitcher seems a little light. A brawl like that with charging the mound, throwing equipment, throwing punches needs a minimum 7-8 games. Harper got off lightly.

    Fuck you, Torre.
    Last edited by Station 13; 06-01-2017 at 10:21 AM.

  14. #44
    I have not heard the Hawk in many years.

    I see him in right field at Fenway and spending his off hours at Bachelor's lll with Joe Namath and Derek Sanderson drinking excessively and promoting young women.

    Those were the days!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  15. #45
    I did not see tape of the entire Harper brawl but I have to say that from what I have seen of it I would award very few style points to anyone.

    Baseball fights are really stupid. As soon as a guy get plunked or hit or something really stupid like throwing a bat or sliding hard, boom. Both benches clear and 50+ pussies slowly march toward the mound or wherever the "action" is.

    Just ridiculous.

    Baseball has to learn how to incorporate fighting for real entertainment. Like the NHL.

    Let two guys face off trading swats of no consequence. Once one lands a good one or two and his opponent is pinned on the ground being fed unmerciful shots to the cranium for about 15-20 seconds, then the umpires ( lol, fat fucks all ) step in and break it up.

    Think of the ratings boom! Revenue will soar!

    Heroes will be made!

    The possibilities for growth of the game are endless!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •