Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening day batting order?

Over his career, Fat Pablo has a .352 OBP vs righties. Bogaerts sits at .321. Food for thought.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Over his career, Fat Pablo has a .352 OBP vs righties. Bogaerts sits at .321. Food for thought.
    Context. Both Bogey and JBJ are on the rise, so counting their career numbers may overemphasize their slower starts to their career, while Pablo has been on one of MLB's most constant and sharp declines.

Over the last 2 years, JBJ has a .348 OBP vs RHP and Bogey .339. I agree with not putting Bogey in the top 4 or 5 vs RHPs, and I don't think putting Pablo up 2nd is a bad idea. I just think we can do better.

Pablo has a .341 OBP since 2012 but .314 since 2015.

I still think Beni-Pedey are best 1-2 vs RHPs.

I like Panda second so you can deploy Benintendi third and have some semblance of lineup balance. I don't like JBJ second because of how streaky and K-prone he is. I agree that Bogaerts is on the rise, but he's definitely a superior option with the platoon advantage.
    We miss you Mike.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Oye. Now we can all sit back and get the lecture about how disruptive base runners are not really much of a factor.
    Thick Ricky Henderson

3/23/17 Today’s lineup is very interesting per this conversation. Perhaps it’s a looksie at what we’ll see on opening day!

1. Pedroia
    2. Benintendi
    3. Betts
    4. Ramirez
    5. Moreland
    6. Bogaerts
    7. Bradley Jr.
    8. Sandoval
    9. Swihart

Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post
    3/23/17 Today’s lineup is very interesting per this conversation. Perhaps it’s a looksie at what we’ll see on opening day!

1. Pedroia (GOOD)
    2. Benintendi (FINE)
    3. Betts (FINE)
    4. Ramirez (I GUESS)
    5. Moreland (HELL NO)
    6. Bogaerts (NAH)
    7. Bradley Jr. (WHATEVER)
    8. Sandoval (NOT SURPRISING)
    9. Swihart (WILL BE IN AAA)
    They've buried Sandoval's bat all spring. I hope he makes them move him up sooner than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    Swihart caught Wright today (3/23) otherwise you were right on. Swihart has won the job hands down. No competition whatsoever. He even came up with a -24 double play. No PB? Amazing. I think he'll eventually move up in the lineup, but that remains to be seen. Being a SH, he can fit in most places. Bradley's inconsistency makes him ideal for the 9 spot.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They've buried Sandoval's bat all spring. I hope he makes them move him up sooner than later.
    Swihart will be in AAA? Surely, you jest!

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    I like Panda second so you can deploy Benintendi third and have some semblance of lineup balance. I don't like JBJ second because of how streaky and K-prone he is. I agree that Bogaerts is on the rise, but he's definitely a superior option with the platoon advantage.
    Nothing is definite abour Pablo, but I actually like your line-up.

I'm more "wait and see" with Beni vs LHPs before sticking him in a top 3 slot.

I hear the "consistency" and "comfort" arguments, but my guess is Beni will be thrilled to be anywhere in the top 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Oye. Now we can all sit back and get the lecture about how disruptive base runners are not really much of a factor.
    If you don't want to listen to my 'lectures', put me on ignore. Please.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    Swihart caught Wright today (3/23) otherwise you were right on. Swihart has won the job hands down. No competition whatsoever. He even came up with a -24 double play. No PB? Amazing. I think he'll eventually move up in the lineup, but that remains to be seen. Being a SH, he can fit in most places. Bradley's inconsistency makes him ideal for the 9 spot.
    I don't think that Swihart has won the job at all. I think that he will eventually but he hasn't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I don't think that Swihart has won the job at all. I think that he will eventually but he hasn't yet.
    Farrell announced officially today that Leon would be the Opening Day catcher. Swihart is all but guaranteed to start the season in AAA.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    Swihart will be in AAA? Surely, you jest!
    Options are a powerful thing. Swihart is their highest ceiling option back there - but no problem with slow playing it. Leon deserves the right (I think) to prove that his season was not just a 6 week fluke. (I think it is - but fair to find out for sure)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Farrell announced officially today that Leon would be the Opening Day catcher. Swihart is all but guaranteed to start the season in AAA.
    I'm ok with that (not that it matters). If he had a better than good spring in all of the various phases of catching, I might not be. Leon is a good catcher. Still a young man and at least for the time being should be our number 1 in my opinion. With what we have in Leon and Vazquez, Swihart needs to show that he can catch at the big league level. He and we have time for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm ok with that (not that it matters). If he had a better than good spring in all of the various phases of catching, I might not be. Leon is a good catcher. Still a young man and at least for the time being should be our number 1 in my opinion. With what we have in Leon and Vazquez, Swihart needs to show that he can catch at the big league level. He and we have time for that to happen.
    Even if Swihart excelled in all phases of catching during spring training, I would start him in AAA. As of now, it is unclear what we have in any of our catchers, and spring training is not going to answer those questions. IMO, we need time to sort out what we have before we risk losing either Leon or Vazquez.