Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2017 Ump Show

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Balls and strikes mistakes can easily be abolished. It's coming. A lot of folks won't like it, and I get that, but it's inevitable.
    @UmpireAuditor
    "It's been a big plate all weekend. That was really big. Like a plate and a half" -@NESN announcers

Yesterday, Umpire Bruce Dreckman called a strike on this pitch to Xander Bogaerts that missed outside by 4.43 inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @UmpireAuditor
    "It's been a big plate all weekend. That was really big. Like a plate and a half" -@NESN announcers

Yesterday, Umpire Bruce Dreckman called a strike on this pitch to Xander Bogaerts that missed outside by 4.43 inches.
    Somebody, I think it was Joe Posnanski, had an interesting suggestion. If the pitch is an obvious ball or strike, like the one mentioned above, it would be relayed to the umpire electronically, so that there would be no egregious calls. Umpires would still be on their own when it comes to borderline calls.

That might seem somewhat counterintuitive, but I like the suggestion.

It's only a game. Not life and death. Part of the fun is screaming " Kill the ump." " Are you blind , Blue ? " " Get new glasses." Etc. And watching a Billy Martin kick dirt and yell at the ump until he was ejected. Remy and O'Brien don't help with their constant complaining about the strike zone. Use the robots to vacuum the dugout and clubhouse, not to call balls and strikes. If an umpire is clearly incompetent, he should be demoted to AAA. Try to relax and enjoy the games .

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Somebody, I think it was Joe Posnanski, had an interesting suggestion. If the pitch is an obvious ball or strike, like the one mentioned above, it would be relayed to the umpire electronically, so that there would be no egregious calls. Umpires would still be on their own when it comes to borderline calls.

That might seem somewhat counterintuitive, but I like the suggestion.
    It's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    It's only a game. Not life and death. Part of the fun is screaming " Kill the ump." " Are you blind , Blue ? " " Get new glasses." Etc. And watching a Billy Martin kick dirt and yell at the ump until he was ejected. Remy and O'Brien don't help with their constant complaining about the strike zone. Use the robots to vacuum the dugout and clubhouse, not to call balls and strikes. If an umpire is clearly incompetent, he should be demoted to AAA. Try to relax and enjoy the games .
    No, that is not fun. Also, I'm not sure they can demote an ump since they are union.

Just fire this guy:

@UmpireAuditor
    Yesterday, Umpire Angel Hernandez was responsible for the worst called game of the season so far. He missed 24 calls with a correct call percentage of only 83.2%.

And this guy:

@UmpireAuditor
    Ted Barrett ended the night with 23 missed calls. In the two games he's covered this season, he's missed a total of 46 calls, the most in the league.

I still contend that the biggest problem is umpires missing the outside part of the plate. To me, that's an equipment issue. If they had the equipment from back in the 80's, they could stand directly behind the catcher and see the outside of the plate. Currently, they set up to the side (do to their reduced equipment) and can't see the outside part of the plate.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-walk-off-letdown/

Ron Kulpa has actually already conceded that he should have called Conforto out on strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    100%

No to robot umps.

It's a start.
    It's a compromise that would at least be better than having all balls and strikes called electronically.

I still contend that the biggest problem is umpires missing the outside part of the plate. To me, that's an equipment issue. If they had the equipment from back in the 80's, they could stand directly behind the catcher and see the outside of the plate. Currently, they set up to the side (do to their reduced equipment) and can't see the outside part of the plate.
    Back in the 80s, they didn't have Statcast and all the various versions of K-Zone. I wonder how the accuracy of balls and strikes calls back then, with the outside chest protectors, compares with the accuracy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Back in the 80s, they didn't have Statcast and all the various versions of K-Zone. I wonder how the accuracy of balls and strikes calls back then, with the outside chest protectors, compares with the accuracy these days.
    No idea, but I can see how today's umpire positioning really hinders their calls on the outside of the plate.

No idea, but I can see how today's umpire positioning really hinders their calls on the outside of the plate.
    I can agree with that. They should bring back the old equipment and see if it helps.