Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thornburg out with shoulder impingement

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Sorry. Not buying it. Contact sports, by their very nature, are FAR more dangerous than baseball. Pitchers certainly have their risks, but hockey players in particular get back on the ice with absurd kinds of injuries. Patrice Bergeron, a couple of seasons ago, was back on the ice with broken ribs. Other players play with other kinds of fractures. When was the last time a baseball player got back on the field with broken ribs? How many concussions do baseball players suffer compared to hockey players or football players.
    Go and take your pet peeve and put it back in the land of fantasy where it belongs. Baseball players are weenies compared to hockey or football players.
    Not baseball, pitching. If you can't even measure the difference in injury risk between a pitcher and most positions played on the field, you shouldn't even be talking about this with any sort of authoritative tone. It doesn't matter if you buy it or don't. Facts are facts. Pitchers have the highest rate of attrition of any sport, including rugby and even RB's in football. Some pitchers may manage to last longer, but most guys don't even get past college without a catastrophic injury. Please don't make stuff up.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post

Just because other athletes are at risk for more spectacular injuries doesn't make what baseball players face any less serious. They have nothing to do with each other. As UN? said, (and boy do I love agreeing with him ) it's apples and oranges.
    Why is it so hard for you to admit that I'm, like, your favorite poster now.
    We miss you Mike.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Yes, Burgeron played Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals (an elimination game for the Bruins) with broken ribs. He was on the ice, but he was also a shadow of the player he had been earlier in the series. He was of no help to the Bruins that night. Had that injury occurred in December or January, he would have sat several weeks until they healed.
    My original response to Georom (I think it was him) regarded baseball players in general not being on the field with what seem to be minor injuries. Here is what I wrote:

"And football and hockey are not a recipe for disaster? I agree with Geo: players seem to get DL'd because of ingrown nails nowadays."

In no way am I dismissing the fact that baseball pitchers get injured a lot. They get injured about 34% more than those players who play in the field. I understand that the repetitive nature of the motion that they use predisposes them to injury. That said, I could not find a single bit of data that tells me the incidence of injuries per year for all pitchers. I found that football players get injured about 15.3% of the time, and its clear that there is a much higher percentage of severe injury in contact sports than in baseball. When I see guys like Bergeron out there playing, or trying to play, with broken ribs and a punctured lung, and when I see football players giving it their all, playing with gruesome injuries-and then look at some of these baseball players who are out for weeks with minor injuries-thats what I am talking about. Seems they never want to play unless they are in nearly perfect health.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Not baseball, pitching. If you can't even measure the difference in injury risk between a pitcher and most positions played on the field, you shouldn't even be talking about this with any sort of authoritative tone. It doesn't matter if you buy it or don't. Facts are facts. Pitchers have the highest rate of attrition of any sport, including rugby and even RB's in football. Some pitchers may manage to last longer, but most guys don't even get past college without a catastrophic injury. Please don't make stuff up.
    See my post above: I measured it: pitchers get injured about 34% more than position players. Do you have statistics to prove your point-that pitchers have the highest incidence of injury of any sport? I was not able to find a list of sports that compared injury rates of pitchers to, for example, running backs or hockey players. Its a fact if you can support your opinion with sufficient data; until then its your opinion. Once its fact I can buy it.
    By way of comparison (assuming you can produce statistic of this sort for ML pitchers), NFL running backs have a 5.2% risk of injury in every game they play, and they miss, on average, 3.9 games due to that injury according to one study (http://www.profootballlogic.com/arti...rate-analysis/). Of course, this data isn't comparing ML pitchers to RB because, as far as I know, there is no similar data.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 03-31-2017 at 01:28 PM.

See my post above: I measured it: pitchers get injured about 34% more than position players. Do you have statistics to prove your point-that pitchers have the highest incidence of injury of any sport? I was not able to find a list of sports that compared injury rates of pitchers to, for example, running backs or hockey players. Its a fact if you can support your opinion with sufficient data; until then its your opinion. Once its fact I can buy it.
    By way of comparison (assuming you can produce statistic of this sort for ML pitchers), NFL running backs have a 5.2% risk of injury in every game they play, and they miss, on average, 3.9 games due to that injury according to one study (http://www.profootballlogic.com/arti...rate-analysis/). Of course, this data isn't comparing ML pitchers to RB because, as far as I know, there is no similar data.
    There's a difference between an injury and a catastrophic injury. I'm talking career-altering or ending injury rate. And I don't have the cold numbers yet, but I'm working on it.
    We miss you Mike.

Legend
    There's a difference between an injury and a catastrophic injury. I'm talking career-altering or ending injury rate. And I don't have the cold numbers yet, but I'm working on it.
    Interesting discussion, this is. Let me know what you find out. Another factor to consider: I would imagine that injury rates are correlated with the number of innings pitched. So SPs may turn out to have a much higher incidence of injuries than RPs. Of course, sometimes what seems intuitive is not actually true. Thats why the facts and data are needed.

Interesting discussion, this is. Let me know what you find out. Another factor to consider: I would imagine that injury rates are correlated with the number of innings pitched. So SPs may turn out to have a much higher incidence of injuries than RPs. Of course, sometimes what seems intuitive is not actually true. Thats why the facts and data are needed.
    Actually there's a higher correlation between year-round pitching at the little-league level and up and catastrophic injury for pitchers, regardless of role. Then of course, there's the great mechanics debate. If you look up some of the stuff Chris O'Leary has written on the issues stemming from mechanical problems (mainly timing) and elbow/shoulder injuries, it seems like a huge part of the issue has to do with the way/how hard a pitcher throws instead of how much he throws.
    We miss you Mike.

Interestingly, O'Leary posted a picture from PitchSmart (a movement from USA Baseball preaching ways to keep pitchers healthy) which says that pitchers who compete more than 8 months per year are 5 times as likely to suffer an injury requiring surgery.

Oh, and to clarify what I meant in my above post (it may seem contradictory) the point about year-round pitching is more geared towards young guys and its impact when they reach the professional ranks. The mechanical issues apply regardless of age, pitching schedule and other outside factors. If your mechanics suck, you will eventually need surgery. That is a fact without many exceptions.
    We miss you Mike.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    I would respond with the old cliche about not spitting on you if you were on fire, but it's likely I would be the one who set you on fire in the first place, so it seems unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Double A
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I like this post. You should post more.
    I post here every now an then. I am over on the other forum, where Pumpsie and I have private conversations

Quote Originally Posted by rkarp1 View Post
    I post here every now an then. I am over on the other forum, where Pumpsie and I have private conversations
    LOL I understand. I would welcome your input here whenever you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I would respond with the old cliche about not spitting on you if you were on fire, but it's likely I would be the one who set you on fire in the first place, so it seems unnecessary.
    Yeah yeah yeah. You and I both know such an action would go in direct contradiction to your parole agreement.
    We miss you Mike.

I've always held the utmost respect for you. You challenge all of us, and hold us to the highest standard. You're not afraid to tell it like it is, even if it ruffles some feathers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I've always held the utmost respect for you. You challenge all of us, and hold us to the highest standard. You're not afraid to tell it like it is, even if it ruffles some feathers.
    Some of the stuff you say makes me scratch my head.

Not this time. Well said young man.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."