Register now to remove this ad

Page 55 of 118 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Rotation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    With Velazquez pitching on Monday and no other starting depth until injury prone EROd gets back, imo we need another starting pitcher.
    I'm actually more worried about Porcello than ERod, Price or Velazquez.

Maybe there's a hidden injury. Maybe there's something wrong with his mechanics- that can be fixed. Maybe last year was just a wild fluke. But, he sucks right now!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm actually more worried about Porcello than ERod, Price or Velazquez.

Maybe there's a hidden injury. Maybe there's something wrong with his mechanics- that can be fixed. Maybe last year was just a wild fluke. But, he sucks right now!
    I think he's just throwing too hard....

Deity
    ERod last start was June 1. Didn't FO say 3-4 weeks to rest knee?

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Last update I've seen is that he is supposed to throw to live hitters sometime this week and hopefully head out on rehab assignment after that...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ar-hughes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    They were less concerned about him throwing off the mound than being able to run and making cuts. What if he has to cover a bunt and make a quick pivot on a throw to first...that sort of things.

This signing was a zero.
    The Red Sox have outrighted right-hander Kyle Kendrick off of their 40-man roster, Evan Drellich of CSNNE.com reports on Twitter. He will remain at Triple-A Pawtucket, however, suggesting he has already cleared waivers.Kendrick, 32, was previously optioned after making two rough starts at the major league level for Boston. He consented to that move and evidently wishes to continue on with the organization despite now losing his 40-man spot. It’s not yet known what the team will do with the new roster opening.
    Over 54 2/3 innings through nine starts at Triple-A, Kendrick owns a 5.93 ERA with 6.1 K/9 against 1.3 BB/9. His most recent substantial work at the MLB level came with the Rockies in 2015, when he turned in 142 1/3 frames of 6.32 ERA ball.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

This signing was a zero.
    Velazquez looks like the better of the two dumpster dives, doesn't he?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Velazquez looks like the better of the two dumpster dives, doesn't he?
    Much better. Kendrick is a known bum who is past a very meh prime.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

MLBTR

Eduardo Rodriguez Nearing Rehab Assignment
    By Jeff Todd | June 19, 2017 at 11:29pm CDT

While the Red Sox wait to learn more about the status of second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who took a pitch to the ribcage on Sunday, the club has continued to receive good news on lefty Eduardo Rodriguez. As Rob Bradford of WEEI.com tweets, skipper John Farrell says that Rodriguez will face live hitters this week and possibly head out for a rehab assignment thereafter.

From June 16th...\

It’s possible that the Red Sox may soon welcome back lefty Eduardo Rodriguez. per an update from manager John Farrell (h/t Peter Abraham of the Boston Glove; links to Twitter). Rodriguez was “ecstatic” after a 33-pitch pen session today, says Farrell, who indicated that the southpaw may be only one rehab start away from returning to the majors. That would surely be excellent news for Boston; Rodriguez’s knee issue seemed rather frightening when it arose, since he has dealt with significant problems in the joint in the past.

I hope E-Rod isn't this injury prone his stint with the Sox.

I'm really high on the guy. Anyone that can pitch the way he does and make it look as easy as walking through the park has major skills. I thought this year was going to be his breakout year.

We just need two of Porcello, E-Rod, or Price to pitch decent and we are ALE championship bound in my opinion. If all three pitched a pretty good year......... we would have a great team............ but that's a lot of wishing right there.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I hope E-Rod isn't this injury prone his stint with the Sox.

I'm really high on the guy. Anyone that can pitch the way he does and make it look as easy as walking through the park has major skills. I thought this year was going to be his breakout year.

We just need two of Porcello, E-Rod, or Price to pitch decent and we are ALE championship bound in my opinion. If all three pitched a pretty good year......... we would have a great team............ but that's a lot of wishing right there.
    I read that ERod has something physically wrong with his knee that makes him prone to retweaking it. Unfortunately, I fear that Erod will be on and off the DL throughout his career. I hope that I am wrong.

I'm hopeful that Price will get better with more starts. Porcello might benefit from a DL stint to work on whatever he needs to correct. The problem is, we don't have anyone to start in his place while ERod is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I read that ERod has something physically wrong with his knee that makes him prone to retweaking it. Unfortunately, I fear that Erod will be on and off the DL throughout his career. I hope that I am wrong.

I'm hopeful that Price will get better with more starts. Porcello might benefit from a DL stint to work on whatever he needs to correct. The problem is, we don't have anyone to start in his place while ERod is out.
    If he isn't already using a brace, theyshould fit him with a knee brace pronto.

This is my first attempt to post on any forum, and I don't have a clue if I'm doing this right.
    Rick Porcello has been awful this year, but I submit that even if he had pitched just like Sale, he'd still have a losing record.
    In 7 of his losses, the Sox had scored zero runs by the time he left the game, and in the other 2 they got 1 run for him.
    I'm no stat geek, but I suspect that very few games are won when you don't score any runs.
    In 5 of his losses, he did pitch like Sale. He left after giving up 2 or 3 runs . In those games the Sox scored a total of 5 runs.
    Sale has pitched great, no doubt about it. He has 5 victories where he left after giving up 2 or 3 runs.
    In those 5 games the Sox have scored 30 runs.
    Last year Porcello was the lucky recipient of the tremendous run support, but this year the worm has turned.

Quote Originally Posted by veryoldtimer View Post
    This is my first attempt to post on any forum, and I don't have a clue if I'm doing this right.
    Rick Porcello has been awful this year, but I submit that even if he had pitched just like Sale, he'd still have a losing record.
    In 7 of his losses, the Sox had scored zero runs by the time he left the game, and in the other 2 they got 1 run for him.
    I'm no stat geek, but I suspect that very few games are won when you don't score any runs.
    In 5 of his losses, he did pitch like Sale. He left after giving up 2 or 3 runs . In those games the Sox scored a total of 5 runs.
    Sale has pitched great, no doubt about it. He has 5 victories where he left after giving up 2 or 3 runs.
    In those 5 games the Sox have scored 30 runs.
    Last year Porcello was the lucky recipient of the tremendous run support, but this year the worm has turned.
    Last year, he pitched very well and he got great run support. This year is the opposite, but you are pitching pretty shitty and hurting your team when you are carrying a 5+ ERA to the mound at the end of June. His WHIP is 1.52 and Hits per 9 innings is 12. That is garbage no matter how you slice it.

Good points, VOT!

And welcome to the forum.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully