Register now to remove this ad

Page 56 of 118 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Rotation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by veryoldtimer View Post
    This is my first attempt to post on any forum, and I don't have a clue if I'm doing this right.
    Rick Porcello has been awful this year, but I submit that even if he had pitched just like Sale, he'd still have a losing record.
    In 7 of his losses, the Sox had scored zero runs by the time he left the game, and in the other 2 they got 1 run for him.
    I'm no stat geek, but I suspect that very few games are won when you don't score any runs.
    In 5 of his losses, he did pitch like Sale. He left after giving up 2 or 3 runs . In those games the Sox scored a total of 5 runs.
    Sale has pitched great, no doubt about it. He has 5 victories where he left after giving up 2 or 3 runs.
    In those 5 games the Sox have scored 30 runs.
    Last year Porcello was the lucky recipient of the tremendous run support, but this year the worm has turned.
    I think that's why people generally ignore pitcher W/L records. The more important stat for a pitcher is whether they pitched well, not if they pitched to the score like Jack Morris or whatever. A pitcher can only control what he does on the mound, not how the offense backs him up.

This is how I see the Sox rotation:

Sale - one of the best pitchers in the game
    ERod - injury history, inconsistent from start to start, can look like an ace in one game and struggle to get through 5 innings the next
    Price - probably going to be back on DL by the end of the season and having surgery in offseason, he has no command right now
    Porcello - ace ceiling, but gets rocked by the gopher ball as he is a pitch to contact guy and doesn't always locate well
    Pomeranz - couldn't pitch 7 innings if his life depended on it, his production is an average DiceK season

Others:
    Wright - the great unknown, could have been great for this season if not for Farrell's dumb managing last year
    Velasquez - fine for a dumpster dive guy
    Johnson - a decent AAAA guy who can't pitch a full season for a multitude of reasons
    Owens - trade bait, can't throw strikes and doesn't have the stuff for long term success in the bigs
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by veryoldtimer View Post
    This is my first attempt to post on any forum, and I don't have a clue if I'm doing this right.
    Rick Porcello has been awful this year, but I submit that even if he had pitched just like Sale, he'd still have a losing record.
    In 7 of his losses, the Sox had scored zero runs by the time he left the game, and in the other 2 they got 1 run for him.
    I'm no stat geek, but I suspect that very few games are won when you don't score any runs.
    In 5 of his losses, he did pitch like Sale. He left after giving up 2 or 3 runs . In those games the Sox scored a total of 5 runs.
    Sale has pitched great, no doubt about it. He has 5 victories where he left after giving up 2 or 3 runs.
    In those 5 games the Sox have scored 30 runs.
    Last year Porcello was the lucky recipient of the tremendous run support, but this year the worm has turned.
    Welcome to the Rogue State!

It looks like you will fit in here quite well.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

@mlbtraderumors

Red Sox Claim Doug Fister Off Release Waivers

All-Star
    The Red Sox have claimed righty Doug Fister off release waivers, reports SB Nation’s Chris Cotillo (Twitter links). The signing is a reunion of sorts for Fister, who previously spent two and a half seasons with the Tigers when Dave Dombrowski was Detroit’s general manager. Because he was claimed off release waivers, Fister will have the option to reject the claim and hit free agency, though he’d be turning a way a spot on Boston’s 40-man roster, so that route seems unlikely.

By making the claim, the Red Sox are agreeing to take on Fister’s existing contract, which came with a $1.75MM salary (pro-rated) for any time spent in the Majors, Cotillo reported at the time of the signing. He can also earn up to $1MM worth of incentives based on games started or $200K based on relief work, per the associated press. It’s not clear whether Fister will head to Triple-A or join Boston’s big league staff, though he is tuned up to the point where he could conceivably step into manager John Farrell’s rotation.

Fister made three starts with the Angels’ Triple-A affiliate, totaling 15 2/3 innings with 10 strikeouts against five walks. Of course, most of his success came in his first minor league outing (five innings, one run on four hits and a walk with seven strikeouts). Fister was hit a bit harder in his second and third outings, yielding six runs in 10 2/3 innings with more walks (four) than punchouts (three).

Fister, though, has a lengthy track record of success in the big leagues and should provide some depth to a rotation that currently has options Steven Wright, Eduardo Rodriguez, Brian Johnson and Roenis Elias on the disabled list. While it’s been a few years since he posted above-average marks as a starter, Fister did take the ball for 32 starts as a member of the 2016 Astros, working to a 4.64 ERA across 180 1/3 innings in the Houston rotation.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...e-waivers.html

All-Star
    Peter Abraham is reporting that Fister is joining the major league roster, though whether starting or in relief is unclear. (I would presume he'd be replacing Velazquez...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Peter Abraham is reporting that Fister is joining the major league roster, though whether starting or in relief is unclear. (I would presume he'd be replacing Velazquez...)
    Career GS - 199, Career G 212.

I'd say that's a good indication of where he'll pitch.

Did somebody say low risk high reward?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

At least it's not a $9M guaranteed contract with another $4M in incentives....Masterson? We piss away money like my teenage daughter. She actually told me to go to a bank machine when I told her I didn't have any money. I think she was 6 at the time.

Ben got two credit cards and maxed out both in couple of days.

Dojji: I think you mean low risk low reward. There's no such thing as a low risk high reward guy. Risk and reward are directly proportional, not inversely.

I love his name!

I think this is a good signing. Rotation depth is pretty important.

Especially with the walking wounded this team has been.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

@jcmccaffrey

Lot of information coming out of Dombrowski press conference. 1. Doug Fister will enter the rotation and start on Sunday. ....

@EvanDrellich

Eduardo Rodriguez to face hitters tomorrow, Dombrowski said. If that goes well, then five day schedule. Red Sox hope back by All Star break

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @EvanDrellich

Eduardo Rodriguez to face hitters tomorrow, Dombrowski said. If that goes well, then five day schedule. Red Sox hope back by All Star break
    That is about what I expected under a best case scenario.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I love his name!

I think this is a good signing. Rotation depth is pretty important.

Especially with the walking wounded this team has been.
    Yea....... this could be brutal with this guy.....

I mean some English names and German names you can understand what occupation their forefathers held............ Baker...... Blacksmith...... Carpenter.
    220px-IronFistedMonk_DVDcover.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
    Last edited by SoxHop; 06-23-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

I'm not expecting much from this signing, but there s a sliver of hope he regains his stuff (or comes close).