Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 4/5/17 Game 2 vs Pirates (Sale's Opening Day)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    You can have some Hernandez he's being called up today.
    Hernandez and Leon have been a couple of my favorites for some time now.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Hernandez and Leon have been a couple of my favorites for some time now.
    I was down on Leon, hopefully he continues to make me eat my words.

Great outing by Sale, great ending by Leon. It would be nice if this walk-off magic could be around all year. That was the one thing we really couldn't do last year. The bats are going to warm up with the weather. Everybody just wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    i understand totally how you felt and maybe feel. There is the thought that maybe this isn't the "real" Sandy. I just enjoy the type of player he has become. Dirt dog tough team player. Everything about him says catcher. What has confused me a bit though is how some people seem to just kind of see him as an after thought. Simply a guy holding a position until someone else is ready . That still might be the case but if he is ultimately outplayed for this position, then the guy winning that job might have to be very special. I just keep thinking to myself - Leon is still a young man. His potential to get better in all phases of the game are as good as anyone else who plays in our system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    1 walk in 12 innings for Sox pitchers
    A very encouraging sign indeed. At first glance, the bullpen looks a lot better. Some of the outs are still hard outs, but that just means that they're throwing strikes. But, the first two guys to pitch for us don't walk very many people. Let's wait and see what E-Rod, Wright, and Pomeranz do in the coming days.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Me too, I hope to eat a big huge bowl of crow in a couple of months. He doesn't even have to do what he did last year offensively because his defense is really good. If he could be something inbetween offensively (of his up/low) then with his defense he's the starting catcher on most teams.

I'm still not 100% sold on him, but yeah.....he made me look dumb last night.

Deity
    Don't be too hard on yourself. i never got the impression that you were really down on Leon. I just happen to love these types of guys. He has been under rated. Regardless of what becomes of him going forward, he plays the game the right way in my opinion. A team player who just keeps moving forward. I can really cheer for these types of guys. You don't need a lot of stars to win but you do need a lot of these types of players.

Deity
    After ST, I thought the Sox would be good hitting and almost as good pitching this year, but in two games the pitching has impressed me and the hitting only adequate, albeit a very good adequate with those two 3-run dingers. I'm old and still have a day job, but nevertheless didn't go to sleep until Leon won the game in the 9th.

Sale looked pretty good in ST but even better last night. Bullpen scared me in ST but so far has been excellent.

I don't see E-Rod and Wright doing as well as Porcello and Sale, but I think they will be good enough. I didn't like Pomeranz last year--who did?--and still don't.

Deity
    The only guy in the lineup I don't like is Moreland. Except for him, however, there is a lot to like.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    After ST, I thought the Sox would be good hitting and almost as good pitching this year, but in two games the pitching has impressed me and the hitting only adequate, albeit a very good adequate with those two 3-run dingers. I'm old and still have a day job, but nevertheless didn't go to sleep until Leon won the game in the 9th.

Sale looked pretty good in ST but even better last night. Bullpen scared me in ST but so far has been excellent.

I don't see E-Rod and Wright doing as well as Porcello and Sale, but I think they will be good enough. I didn't like Pomeranz last year--who did?--and still don't.
    I did and still do. Of course I want Pomeranz to pitch better, but that is not a trade that bothers me one bit. I still think he could be a big help. When and if Espinoza appears on a ml roster, maybe I'll change my mind.

All-Star
    Top of the 3rd in Cincinnatti . Nava 2 for 2, 2 home runs, 3 rbi. Haven't seen Buch yet. Like old times!

bad clay today
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I did and still do. Of course I want Pomeranz to pitch better, but that is not a trade that bothers me one bit. I still think he could be a big help. When and if Espinoza appears on a ml roster, maybe I'll change my mind.
    Great! I sure hope you are right and I am wrong. However he turns out, this looks like the best rotation in quite some time.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 04-06-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    bad clay today
    4 runs in 5 innings, plus no DH to worry about. 7 hits, 2 walks, but no dingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    The only guy in the lineup I don't like is Moreland. Except for him, however, there is a lot to like.
    He had a blast that would have reached the pen on 95% other nights. He's making solid contact. The hits will come.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")