Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Prospect Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    At 5-10, Chavis is probably too short to play 1B. Our OF seems set for a couple more years. That leaves DH, assuming HRam can play 1B for the next 1-2 years.

I could see Chavis being traded, maybe even this deadline, but I hope not. We need some power on this team, and he may be our best young hope.
    So a guy gets promoted to AA and is now being seen as blocked? He is at least 1-2 years away from MLB. A lot can change in that time.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

@JonHeyman

The red sox will sign top venezuelan catching prospect daniel flores, 16, when international signing period begins.

@redsoxstats

Getting $3.3M of the Red Sox $4.8M bonus pool.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    So a guy gets promoted to AA and is now being seen as blocked? He is at least 1-2 years away from MLB. A lot can change in that time.
    I don't see him as blocked. I don't want him traded. I'm not sure, if he can ever play 3B well enough to stick, but some here think not ever. If Devers works out, then we won't need him at 3B anyways. If DD is thinking this way, maybe he makes Chavis available to try and get a larger upgrade at 3B than I think is needed.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @JonHeyman

The red sox will sign top venezuelan catching prospect daniel flores, 16, when international signing period begins.

@redsoxstats

Getting $3.3M of the Red Sox $4.8M bonus pool.
    I started an international signings thread a few weeks back that didn't generate any interest, but here's what MLB.com has to say about Flores:
    Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 60 | Run: 30 | Arm: 65 | Field: 55

Strong and durable, this young catcher has all of the tools to be an impact player at the Major League level one day. Some scouts believe Flores could be the best overall player in the class.

Flores is considered by some as the best defensive catcher ever at his age, and he has the potential to be an elite defender in the future. Scouts also like his footwork, release point and the way he seamlessly transfers the ball from his glove to his hand. Flores also has a strong arm and quick pop times.

On offense, Flores has a chance to hit for average and have plus power in the future from the right side. He has good raw power and has shown a mature approach at the plate as a righty. Flores is still fine-tuning his swing from the left side of the plate, but he is expected to improve once he signs and enters a team's academy.
    The other really interesting prospect we're expected to sign is Danny Diaz:
    Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 60 | Run: 30 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50

One of the most interesting prospects on the market, Diaz can play shortstop but his future could be at third base because of his outstanding arm.

On offense, some scouts see Diaz's quick hands along with his uppercut swing and immediately view him as an all-or-nothing type of hitter. But he has also shown others scouts an advanced hitting approach and consistent good swings. Scouts also like how Diaz hits the ball hard to all fields and has the potential to be a home run hitter in the middle of the lineup in the future.

He's a decent defender now and is expected to improve his defense once he signs with a team and enters an academy, but it's Diaz's bat that understandably gets most of the attention. Scouts also like his makeup and how he plays the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I started an international signings thread a few weeks back that didn't generate any interest, but here's what MLB.com has to say about Flores:

The other really interesting prospect we're expected to sign is Danny Diaz:
    Thanks for this insightful and encouraging post.

All-Star
    Thanks guys, I've been following the international thread on the Soxprospects site but haven't time to post a lot.

Flores was described by one scout as "the best prospect I've ever seen". A lot of hype around this kid, and the Sox have a very good recent track record with their recent top international signings.

It's worth following baseball americas Ben Badler on twitter the next week when it comes to these July 2nd signings.

Baseball America is really completely unrivaled when it comes to international prospects.

Deity
    Deevers with 2 more hr's tonight in Portland - Chavis with 1 more!

All-Star
    They will promote Devers after the AA all star break.

Major Leaguer
    Both are mashing at AA. Need to send Devers to AAA and put Chavis at 3b. If the sox trade for a third baseman, then I guess theres no need to hurry him.

All-Star
    Chavis has trade bait written all over him

Legend
    Sox get rid of Chavis I'll be pissed. On all promotions I keep close eye on the K's, if K rate not high that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Both are mashing at AA. Need to send Devers to AAA and put Chavis at 3b. If the sox trade for a third baseman, then I guess theres no need to hurry him.
    They addressed this on the last SoxProspectsPodCast. The thought is that as long as Chavis is putting the work in at 3B before the game, it doesn't matter if he's only seeing in game action a few times a week. There are many games where a 3B will have no balls hit to them so in game action is seen as secondary. It's why Lin saw no time at 3B in AA this year, but they were comfortable with him playing 3B in the majors.

@redsoxstats

Cole Brannen is indeed making his pro debut today, batting 2nd, playing center, injecting life into the lower tiers of the system.

All-Star
    "Dombrowski said Rafael Devers is "real close" to being promoted to AAA. Says Devers will play 5 days at 3B, Chavis 2. Other days DH."

Legend
    I know this is about the Sox Farm, but I like looking at all teams. Who the hell is this kid Scott Kingery, he's having a hell of a year. 4 games on call up 3 HRS. 21 for the year. Phillies might have a real gem coming. He's killing the Pawsox.