Register now to remove this ad

Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Prospect Mega Thread

Legend
    Groome going tonight against a real good Prospect for Rome, Wentz, this is a good game to see if he matches Wentz. It will be a 7 inning game because of DH. Wentz is leading the South Atlantic League in ERA 2.31.
    Both Rome and Greenville not great hitting teams, so this should be a pitchers dual. Both Lefties, both 19. (Groome 19, Aug. 23) Wentz, Braves #9 Prospect. Groome Sox #1 Prospect.
    Good game to see how your Prospects match-up to other Prospects.

My bad didn't see it, Wentz pitched last night. Sorry. Hernandez pitched a nice game. On web site has Groome vs. Wentz, too bad.
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...g_box&sid=milb
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-12-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    In the meantime, Chris Young has a replacement level WAR. I would get Brentz on the major league roster by Sunday -- the Red Sox face the Yankees lefty on Sunday.

Another day, another incompetent start from Trey Ball. I used to feel bad for this guy for some reason and then it occurred to me that he was paid 2.75 million for sucking shit. I wish someone would pay me 2.75 million for sucking shit!

Compare Trey Ball to a really good teacher or nurse. The teacher/nurse would need to put in how many years of hard work before earning 2.75 million?
    Only the best little league players played on my high school team, only the best player on someones highschool team got to go to college and play, only the best of the best college players got drafted, only the best of the guys who were drafted made it to the upper minors, and only the best of those guys become major leaguers......

and some of those guys aren't even very good.

Only the best of the best get to play, Trey is better than 99.9% of people to ever play the game and it looks like that won't be enough for him. I doubt it's for lack of trying, but this is his life and legitimately getting angry at people for not being good enough for your enjoyment is pretty, well, it's pretty lame for lack of a better term.

Legend
    Groome not bad not great today, 5 innings, 7 hits, 2 ER's, 0 BB's, 7 K's, 1 HR. Like that he had no BB's.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-12-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Groome not bad not great today, 5 innings, 7 hits, 2 ER's, 0 BB's, 7 K's, 1 HR. Like that he had no BB's.
    I like this kid's delivery, I would like to see the velocity tick up a bit. But regardless, he is a future starter.

Marrero goes 2 for 4 with an HR. He's now up to a .194 BA.

Carson Smith: 1 IP 0H 0ER 0BB 2K

Barfield with his 22 HR (.310 BA)

Henry Owens with only 2 BBs in 5 IP! (1H and 1 ER)

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Pretty good, though, especially for an 18 year old. I love the ratios. I wonder what the average age is in that league?

Groome has got to be the best Red Sox pitching prospect since. . . .Lester? Or do we go all the way back to Clemons? Maybe I'm forgetting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Marrero goes 2 for 4 with an HR. He's now up to a .194 BA.

Carson Smith: 1 IP 0H 0ER 0BB 2K

Barfield with his 22 HR (.310 BA)

Henry Owens with only 2 BBs in 5 IP! (1H and 1 ER)

I suppose C.Smith will pitch for the Red Sox in Sept. and if all goes well they would want him on the playoff roster.

Fortunately, after this season, H.Owens has one option remaining. So the Red Sox have one more season to fix his control. Owens has that plus change up and so there is hope for him--maybe he can be a late bloomer.

According to some info I read on soxprospects, the Red Sox are expected to introduce Chavis to a few different positions in the offseason and then decide on which one would work best for him. Chavis will likely spend the 2018 season in the minor leagues playing that position and strengthening his defensive skills.

If they can get him to play a solid 2b, that would be so advantageous for the organization. You can always find a 1b, but 2b are harder to find and Pedroia might not be able to handle the position for much longer (knee). Like others, I tend to think he profiles best as a 3b or LF, but the Red Sox are set at those positions. . . .
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 08-13-2017 at 04:28 AM.

Major Leaguer
    I like that idea...

Major Leaguer
    Would have liked to have seen Brentz get called up instead of Scott again. The Brass can let guys like Holt, Scott, etc do what they do, but not to give a guy Like Brentz a look is a mistake. Maybe this year is a fluke, but maybe it isn't. I'm not a great Brentz fan, but I can't ignore his power numbers.

The problem with Chavis is his defense is subpar, and he'd likely be even worse at 2nd. If you can hit, you will find a spot eventually and it never really seems to matter. I'm sure the Tigers were more than happy to put up with Cabreras horrible glove at 3rd to get his production at the plate.

I'm not opposed to Chavis getting time at 2nd, but as long as he's healthy I'm confident Pedroia will always be much better at 2nd than Chavis ever will. Even at 37 and 38, I think Pedroias defense at 2nd is going to be superior. I'm thinking he should get some time in LF too, I'm curious to see how he can play there.

Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Would have liked to have seen Brentz get called up instead of Scott again. The Brass can let guys like Holt, Scott, etc do what they do, but not to give a guy Like Brentz a look is a mistake. Maybe this year is a fluke, but maybe it isn't. I'm not a great Brentz fan, but I can't ignore his power numbers.
    What Brentz is doing might be more than a fluke, I'm intrigued. However, if he's called up now he's not going to get regular playing time between our starters. Towards the end of the year, it's no consequence because when the AAA season is over he wouldn't be getting regular playing time anyways.

My guess is he's called up in September as an audition for the 4th outfielder spot next year, and if he excels then he could even make the playoff roster as well.

Legend
    I like Joe Oliver Salem's Manager. 2 years in a row losses all his top kids, and still keeps them in Play-off hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    What Brentz is doing might be more than a fluke, I'm intrigued. However, if he's called up now he's not going to get regular playing time between our starters. Towards the end of the year, it's no consequence because when the AAA season is over he wouldn't be getting regular playing time anyways.

My guess is he's called up in September as an audition for the 4th outfielder spot next year, and if he excels then he could even make the playoff roster as well.
    Brentz won't have to perform at a very high level to add more value than Chris Young, who is playing at a replacement level this year. Brentz would just need to put up some semi-decent numbers against lefties and that alone would surpass anything Chris Young is doing.

Brentz should have been in the lineup on Sunday against the Yankees lefty.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 08-14-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Legend
    Chavis in a mild slump, needs to finish strong.