Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Kelly

I used to say that I want my closer to be able throw 100 mph. Now I've amended that. I now want a pitcher who can throw STRIKES at 100 mph.

That's Koji not withstanding. I still don't understand how Koji does what he does but I'm glad he does it!! Or at least I was glad.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

All-Star
    Much more important then throwing 95-100 is knowing where that pitch is going.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    To say Kimbrel has no command is ridiculous, to say Kelly hasn't battled this for years and is up and down is crazy.

The reason why Farrell backtracked from making him the eighth inning guy while Thornburg is out, is because his mechanics are out of whack right now.
    Are we watching the same game?
    Last year Kimbrel issued 30 walks in 53 innings.This is NOT what you want in a RPer, let alone your closer. Command has been an issue with him since his arrival in Boston. Kelly has had issues with command, but for the most part he did fine with it after July 25. I am certainly not going to judge where his command is after one outing.

Deity
    Kimbrel might occasionally struggle with command, but Kelly struggles with control.

There is a big difference...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Are we watching the same game?
    Last year Kimbrel issued 30 walks in 53 innings.This is NOT what you want in a RPer, let alone your closer. Command has been an issue with him since his arrival in Boston. Kelly has had issues with command, but for the most part he did fine with it after July 25. I am certainly not going to judge where his command is after one outing.
    True but that was a little inflated by his horrific control in September, where he walked 9 hitters in 9 innings.

Before that, his 21 walks in 44IP wasn't so bad. It was a bad year for him, but it meant at his worst Kimbrel was Daniel Bard...

Deity
    Much more important then throwing 95-100 is knowing where that pitch is going.
    I believe Jamie Moyer has that tattooed on his left arm...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Kimbrel might occasionally struggle with command, but Kelly struggles with control.

Not much difference at all as the end result is not enough strikes and too many balls resulting in too many walks. Both have trouble at times finding the plate, though Kelly found it for a long stretch last year. Kimbrel has never been able to throw strikes consistently with both pitches he uses, not in Boston at least.

All-Star
    Not much difference at all as the end result is not enough strikes and too many balls resulting in too many walks. Both have trouble at times finding the plate, though Kelly found it for a long stretch last year. Kimbrel has never been able to throw strikes consistently with both pitches he uses, not in Boston at least.
    Kelly found it for one month last year.

Deity
    No there is a difference between control and command. Control is the ability to find the strike zone. Command is the ability to throw the pitch where you want it within the strike zone...

Deity
    Kelly found it for one month last year.
    Yes but most of his career he has struggled to find it..

All-Star
    Yes but most of his career he has struggled to find it..
    That's what i have been saying.

Great question. I can't think of a single reason why the All Star pitcher would be in the rotation over a guy with a 5 ERA over the past two seasons.

All-Star
    I believe Jamie Moyer has that tattooed on his left arm...
    That was a bad sox trade, Darren Bragg was a serviceable 4th outfielder, but Moyer had a great career after that.

_______
    There is a difference between control and command. Control is the ability to find the strike zone. Command is the ability to throw the pitch where you want it within the strike zone...
    Kimbrel had more walks than hits in 2016. That's a control problem.

Kelly gave up more hits than walks. That's a command problem.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Joe Kelly sucks as a starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")