Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 201 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

  1. #1

    Sox hitting??

    Anytime you hit a dry period, you gotta ask. Right now opposing pitchers are finding it too easy to get our guys out, especially with RISP.

    One number stands out--8 dingers. That isn't just the fewest for any MLB team, it's just a bit more than half--8 vs. 13--than the team in 29th place. Massive power outage.

    The good news is that we probably have a pretty good lineup. I certainly thought so. And it's early--we're just past the 1/10th point into the season.

  2. #2
    Good average, but they hit into a lot of doubleplays. For a speedy team + contact, Farrell is waiting for the long ball that probably won't come. They're top 3 in terms of double plays hit into.

  3. #3
    The numbers with RISP generally correct themselves. We're getting guys on base, that's not the problem. But the lack of power is.

  4. #4
    I don't have the exact numbers, but up until the last 2 games, I believe the Sox were first in BA with RISP with a .335 or something like that. In the last 2 games we've gone 1-12 to drop that BA down to .303.

    The offense will be fine.

  5. #5
    I really really really hope I'm wrong, but I think the offense is going to be a problem.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I really really really hope I'm wrong, but I think the offense is going to be a problem.
    I hope you're wrong, too. But every AB seems to be a pop-up, or a DP ground ball. I m sure hat both Hanley and Mookie are upper-cutting. Hernandez, Vazquez and Bogaerts are the only ones simply trying to make contact. Hanley's going to hut hims one of these days.

  7. #7
    I am a little concerned about Hanley and his sore shoulder.

    But assuming it is no worse than last year I see no reason why he won't be able to step it up at the plate.

    Also, I wonder how severe Bogey's thumb injury is. A chronic problem could really have a bad effect on his batting.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    I hope you're wrong, too. But every AB seems to be a pop-up, or a DP ground ball. I m sure hat both Hanley and Mookie are upper-cutting. Hernandez, Vazquez and Bogaerts are the only ones simply trying to make contact. Hanley's going to hut hims one of these days.
    I don't know ... That pop-up Bradley hit yesterday had a bit of carry.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I really really really hope I'm wrong, but I think the offense is going to be a problem.
    Jason Mastrodonato‏Verified account @JMastrodonato 52m52 minutes ago

    Farrell still thinks Red Sox power issues aren't a concern. Said it's coincidental. Expected slight drop off without Ortiz but not like this.



    "Coincidental" is code for 'randomness' for those old school managers.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Jason Mastrodonato‏Verified account @JMastrodonato 52m52 minutes ago

    Farrell still thinks Red Sox power issues aren't a concern. Said it's coincidental. Expected slight drop off without Ortiz but not like this.



    "Coincidental" is code for 'randomness' for those old school managers.
    Lol. True. It is Manager Speak.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  11. #11
    If we continue to be plagued by injuries and illness, the offense could be a problem.

    What I'm reading now about Pedroia's knee is a little disconcerting.

    But if the team stays relatively healthy, then the offense should be fine.

  12. #12
    Major Leaguer
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Land of the Enemy, NY state
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Anytime you hit a dry period, you gotta ask. Right now opposing pitchers are finding it too easy to get our guys out, especially with RISP.

    One number stands out--8 dingers. That isn't just the fewest for any MLB team, it's just a bit more than half--8 vs. 13--than the team in 29th place. Massive power outage.

    The good news is that we probably have a pretty good lineup. I certainly thought so. And it's early--we're just past the 1/10th point into the season.
    Max - the disquiet within me is about the RISP, if not the power outage. If the keys start clicking, things will be fine but I am wondering if the missing big stick (ala Big Papi) is what makes the difference.

    It's early but I am still a little ill at ease.

    There I said my peace (piece?) and now back to Rah Rah Red Sox D
    Last edited by SinceYaz; 04-23-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: posted before I was finished ....

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    If we continue to be plagued by injuries and illness, the offense could be a problem.

    What I'm reading now about Pedroia's knee is a little disconcerting.

    But if the team stays relatively healthy, then the offense should be fine.
    Let's just hope it doesn't become enigmatic.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Let's just hope it doesn't become enigmatic.
    Ha ha. Good one.

  15. #15
    Lyons and Rice were stating last night that pitchers are attacking the Sox with offspeed stuff. They need to adjust rather than wait on a FB that's not coming.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •