Register now to remove this ad

Page 191 of 201 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    The single biggest problem is that we are dead last in the league in HRs. IMO.
    But isn't that only a problem if we lose?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    The lack of home run power is definitely a big part of our lack of run production. I agree with Moon though when he points out how many of our regulars have had worse to much worse batting numbers when compared to last year. If you discount Beni and Devers as rookies, and applaud Vaz for a much better season than expected, the remainder of our hitters haven't been as good as a year ago. Nunez came into the team late and he has really bolstered the team before getting injured, but he wasn't on last years team.

There has been talk about how this happened. The loss of power in part stems from the loss of Papi and a lack of funds to get a power hitter from the FA market. The lack of hitting has been attributed to poor coaching and/or our guys just had a great yeaar last year and that was an outlier. Our hitters talents are really reflected by this years performance. Whatever the reason for our reduced power and hitting this year, we are what we are going into the playoffs and will get some help when Nunez returns.

Next year, DD and the coaches and managers need to have a heart to heart and decide what to do to improve things, assuming there will be some additional money available. Trades, acquisitions and minor league possibilities all need to be looked at and it might be necessary to make some unpalatable moves to get better overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You don't really deserve to be ahead by 15 games with a run differential of about 130.
    You don't think we'd be up by 15, if we were leading the league in runs scored right now?

Okay, maybe it was a bit hyperbolic, but we'd clearly have clinched by now.

BTW, our run differential is now 139. If we scored enough to lead league in runs scored this year, we'd have to add about 80 runs (or actually take that away from those ahead of us) making our differential about + 220.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    The lack of home run power is definitely a big part of our lack of run production. I agree with Moon though when he points out how many of our regulars have had worse to much worse batting numbers when compared to last year. If you discount Beni and Devers as rookies, and applaud Vaz for a much better season than expected, the remainder of our hitters haven't been as good as a year ago. Nunez came into the team late and he has really bolstered the team before getting injured, but he wasn't on last years team.

There has been talk about how this happened. The loss of power in part stems from the loss of Papi and a lack of funds to get a power hitter from the FA market. The lack of hitting has been attributed to poor coaching and/or our guys just had a great yeaar last year and that was an outlier. Our hitters talents are really reflected by this years performance. Whatever the reason for our reduced power and hitting this year, we are what we are going into the playoffs and will get some help when Nunez returns.

Next year, DD and the coaches and managers need to have a heart to heart and decide what to do to improve things, assuming there will be some additional money available. Trades, acquisitions and minor league possibilities all need to be looked at and it might be necessary to make some unpalatable moves to get better overall.
    I can't see DD not going all in for a big bat clean-up hitter. It is so clearly our weakest point.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    But isn't that only a problem if we lose?
    Exactly. This team is built on pitching.

How many years of great hitters like Williams, Yaz, Rice, Boggs, etc. with zero titles do people need to see before they realize offense alone doesn't cut it?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Exactly. This team is built on pitching.

How many years of great hitters like Williams, Yaz, Rice, Boggs, etc. with zero titles do people need to see before they realize offense alone doesn't cut it?
    Yes, it's no coincidence that the 3 rings we got involved these key elements:

2004: Pedro, Schilling & Foulke

2007: Beckett, Schilling & Papelbon

2013: Lester, Lackey & Uehara

2 aces and a top closer goes a long way.

Longer than having 9 bash brothers in the line-up and no pitching.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I can't see DD not going all in for a big bat clean-up hitter. It is so clearly our weakest point.

The thought of DD going "all in" scares me.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    The thought of DD going "all in" scares me.
    Like all in for Price?

Or, all in for Sale?

Legend
    Since this string is about hitting, I will talk about how we have hitters getting into protracted slumps after hitting well for a while. It happens to most players on most teams. Maybe because I watch this team so closely, I think it happens more often with our guys. Today, Moreland finally hit a ball for a HR and it gave us the breathing room to feel comfortable. That was his first hit in 19 AB's. He had been swinging at many balls thrown at or above his letters. The opposing pitchers had his number and he wasn't finding his way out. when he did make contact, he was hitting mostly to left or popping up. I think Beni recently went through an 0 for 19 as well.

Perhaps the point here is that the players are not getting the help they need from the hitting coach. When there are glaring issues, one would think the hitting coaches would be aggressively trying to communicate those. We have had JBJ, Betts, Bogaerts, Hanley all go into these protracted slumps and have difficulty getting out. I read this as time for a new hitting coach.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Since this string is about hitting, I will talk about how we have hitters getting into protracted slumps after hitting well for a while. It happens to most players on most teams. Maybe because I watch this team so closely, I think it happens more often with our guys. Today, Moreland finally hit a ball for a HR and it gave us the breathing room to feel comfortable. That was his first hit in 19 AB's. He had been swinging at many balls thrown at or above his letters. The opposing pitchers had his number and he wasn't finding his way out. when he did make contact, he was hitting mostly to left or popping up. I think Beni recently went through an 0 for 19 as well.

Perhaps the point here is that the players are not getting the help they need from the hitting coach. When there are glaring issues, one would think the hitting coaches would be aggressively trying to communicate those. We have had JBJ, Betts, Bogaerts, Hanley all go into these protracted slumps and have difficulty getting out. I read this as time for a new hitting coach.
    It's hard to know the reason for all the slumps our hitters have been in this year. Certainly blaming that manager and hitting coach can become a popular response. I've done some myself.

Some blame much of it on the loss of Papi.

I kept thinking this team's offense was going to get in stride at some point. It hasn't really happened.

I'm not sure there's any one reason, but I'm hoping we can hit just enough to cover our staff.

The biggest problem with the slumps is our guys are flawed hitters. Most can't hit the low outside slider, yet none can lay off it.

Another problem is almost all are nicked up. Broken toes, hurt knees, sore hands, thumbs and wrists. Just a ton of injuries that affect timing.

DD has done well stocking this this team WHILE resetting the tax rate this year.

Moon is correct I think in DD going after a clean up bat this off season.

By next spring, Carson Smith should be our 8th inning guy. Our bullpen should be well stocked.

My concern offensively is that perhaps 2017 is the norm while 2016 was exceptional year for many of our players. Just because they get older is no guaranty of getting better production. See Dustin Pedroia as an example.

I suppose the biggest question mark heading into 2018 is David Price's health. What if his 'issues' persist from time to time? What I'm afraid is him needing surgery at some point and losing out 2 years from him.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    DD has done well stocking this this team WHILE resetting the tax rate this year.

Moon is correct I think in DD going after a clean up bat this off season.

By next spring, Carson Smith should be our 8th inning guy. Our bullpen should be well stocked.

My concern offensively is that perhaps 2017 is the norm while 2016 was exceptional year for many of our players. Just because they get older is no guaranty of getting better production. See Dustin Pedroia as an example.

I suppose the biggest question mark heading into 2018 is David Price's health. What if his 'issues' persist from time to time? What I'm afraid is him needing surgery at some point and losing out 2 years from him.
    Yes, it is unlikely that Pedroia and Hanley will be better in 2018 then this year. That's why having solid backup at 2nd is important to give Dustin some rest. Hanley is so often injured or sore that he too will need backup and/or a platoon player. Nunez could solve a lot of that need or if need be, we pick up someone else that can fill both roles effectiively. Otherwise, the team is still in prime age or below.

Legend
    It's hard to know the reason for all the slumps our hitters have been in this year. Certainly blaming that manager and hitting coach can become a popular response. I've done some myself.

Some blame much of it on the loss of Papi.

I kept thinking this team's offense was going to get in stride at some point. It hasn't really happened.

I'm not sure there's any one reason, but I'm hoping we can hit just enough to cover our staff.

I don't necessarily blame the hitting coach, but it is the easiest place to fix so I would go after that first.

BTW, our run differential is now 139.
    Hmm...I have checked, double-checked, and triple-checked, and I still have 749 minus 620 coming out to 129.