Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 201 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox hitting??

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Hanley is apparently dealing with issues in both shoulders.
    He has been dealing with issues between his shoulders for years.

Quote Originally Posted by fredlynn View Post
    he has been dealing with issues between his shoulders for years.
    lol!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Fault? There's no fault in you. We're just two dooffuses discussing sports (I see my last post sounded snide--unintended).
    Heheh ... agreed, agreed. (Leftover defensiveness from posting sites in the past...)

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me.
    I know what you're saying. But if there really is a difference it should show up in the stats.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Anytime you hit a dry period, you gotta ask. Right now opposing pitchers are finding it too easy to get our guys out, especially with RISP.

One number stands out--8 dingers. That isn't just the fewest for any MLB team, it's just a bit more than half--8 vs. 13--than the team in 29th place. Massive power outage.

The good news is that we probably have a pretty good lineup. I certainly thought so. And it's early--we're just past the 1/10th point into the season.
    Team is generating baserunners - that is the hardest part of offense. 2nd in the bigs in hard hit %, 3rd in line drive %, hardest team in the bigs to strike out. They are doing everything they have to - nothing that some of these balls finding gaps won't fix.

Today was certainly a good 'calm down, we'll be fine' game. 3 homers, moonshot by Hanley, Benintendi with 5 hits.

Before today's game, we ranked 18th in runs scored- just 5 runs from the middle of the pack.

This really isn't that bad, when you consider all the games missed by injury, illness and bereavement leave.

Only Moreland has played in every game.
    Everyday players...
    18 Moreland
    17 Beni
    16 Pedey/Pablo
    15 Betts
    14 Bogey/HRam
    6 JBJ

(16 Young -should only play vs LHPs)

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    He has been dealing with issues between his shoulders for years.
    lol!!11!!!1!!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Before today's game, we ranked 18th in runs scored- just 5 runs from the middle of the pack.

This really isn't that bad, when you consider all the games missed by injury, illness and bereavement leave.

Only Moreland has played in every game.
    Everyday players...
    18 Moreland
    17 Beni
    16 Pedey/Pablo
    15 Betts
    14 Bogey/HRam
    6 JBJ

(16 Young -should only play vs LHPs)

Meh. The only key MIA has been JBJ. Plus, let's face it, you can't assume everyone on a team will be healthy all the time and in no need of bereavement or other leave.

Yesterday's 3-dinger win was instructive--for me, anyway. Our biggest shortage so far is home runs--even with those three the Sox are still dead last of 30 MLB teams in hitting them. To me that's a serious power outage that can't easily be explained away by JBJ's absence. By Ortiz's absence, maybe, but not JBJ's.

I'm not saying this team can't bounce back because of course they can. But at the same time, I think what we have seen so far suggests that a repeat of last year is less likely than before the season started.

Deity
    Meh. The only key MIA has been JBJ. Plus, let's face it, you can't assume everyone on a team will be healthy all the time and in no need of bereavement or other leave.

Yesterday's 3-dinger win was instructive--for me, anyway. Our biggest shortage so far is home runs--even with those three the Sox are still dead last of 30 MLB teams in hitting them. To me that's a serious power outage that can't easily be explained away by JBJ's absence. By Ortiz's absence, maybe, but not JBJ's.

I'm not saying this team can't bounce back because of course they can. But at the same time, I think what we have seen so far suggests that a repeat of last year is less likely than before the season started.

I'd say Betts was pretty key loss when he sat out with the flu...

Deity
    Sox have 11 home runs as a team, or 3 more than Eric Thames.

This would be less concerting if the pitching staff had not surrendered 24 home runs...

Legend

they are getting on base - and have (largely) been extremely difficult to get out ... the runs will follow

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I'd say Betts was pretty key loss when he sat out with the flu...
    Betts has played 15 of 18 games.

We've averaged 1.5 regulars out per daily line-up.

While injuries are a part of every team's season, we've had a revolving door of sorts.

I'm not making excuses. Injuries are only part of the story, but I do fully expect this team to still finish in the top 5 in runs scored.

Betts has played 15 of 18 games.
    Yes, missing 17% of games is significant.