Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 201 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox hitting??

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The team will bring in a hitter, I have no doubt. Who that is and how much of a power bat he will be, I have no idea. However, I still think that the 'fix' for our offense starts with the guys we have. Even if a bat is added, if some of our other guys don't improve, then one bat is not going to make much of a difference.
    This I agree with. Some of our other guys do need to improve for us to be successful. If Betts gets back to the Betts we think he is and if Hanley can give us a second half resembling last years and if we come up with a third baseman who can hit just a little, I would become a happy enthusiastic camper once again.

The team will bring in a hitter, I have no doubt. Who that is and how much of a power bat he will be, I have no idea. However, I still think that the 'fix' for our offense starts with the guys we have. Even if a bat is added, if some of our other guys don't improve, then one bat is not going to make much of a difference.
    Those of us who believe that hitting can be contagious also believe that one power hitter can affect the entire lineup.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Those of us who believe that hitting can be contagious also believe that one power hitter can affect the entire lineup.
    I agree that bringing in one strong bat can help improve the entire line up from the standpoint of lengthening the line up. It's kind of like Moon's idea of improving the rotation from the top. That improves the rest of the rotation spots. If we can replace Marrero with a .280 hitter, of course that improves the line up as a whole.

It will not suddenly make the rest of the hitters better hitters though. They still have to do their jobs. In that sense, hitting is not contagious. Line up protection is largely a myth.

I agree that bringing in one strong bat can help improve the entire line up from the standpoint of lengthening the line up. It's kind of like Moon's idea of improving the rotation from the top. That improves the rest of the rotation spots. If we can replace Marrero with a .280 hitter, of course that improves the line up as a whole.

It will not suddenly make the rest of the hitters better hitters though. They still have to do their jobs. In that sense, hitting is not contagious. Line up protection is largely a myth.
    It's possible that having a guy like Ortiz takes a little pressure off some of the other hitters and keeps them from trying to do too much.

Legend
    Going back to the batting order again, last night the ESPN crew brought up the situation where Betts was batting first. With the bottom of the order up before Betts, he rarely would have men on base to drive in. They were advocating that he bat third and i agree. When Betts pulls the ball, he becomes a greater HR threat as he hit one last night. Too many of his early in the year were hit straight away for loud outs.

Either Beni or Pedey can hit lead off so there are alternatives. Beni gets on base and has speed, although his power seems to have disappeared. He seems to be contacting balls to go to lef5t field or pop up. He did get one line drive to right and that was a hit.

Bogaets is back in a mini slump. He seems to take two good pitches most times before swinging. Maybe getting back to being a little more aggressive would help him. We know he has the ability, he just has to find himself again.

Handley wwent deep last night with a line drive to center. It kind of reminds us of what he could do. What we need is for him to return to the threat he was last year and still can be.

Xander, JBJ, Betts, Moreland, Benni, Pedroia, Hanley, Leon, Lin

that should be the order. JBJ is scorching the ball, and he gets more hittable pitches up there.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Xander, JBJ, Betts, Moreland, Benni, Pedroia, Hanley, Leon, Lin

that should be the order. JBJ is scorching the ball, and he gets more hittable pitches up there.
    I don't agree with that lineup although I have no problem with Xander hitting first. I want my guys who get extra base hits up 3rd and later. I would stick Beni up 1st or second in the order and then Betts. After him, take your pick of JBJ or Moreland although JBJ does a little better with lefties than dooes Moreland. Handley is an open question. If he gets hot, he is good in the 5th slot.

I'd keep Pedey 1 or 2, because he still has the best OBP on the team (.371).

I've always thought Bogey should be 1 or 2 due to his lack of HR power. He has the second best OBP on the team (.366).

Personally, I'd go Bogey 1/ Pedey 2, but flip flopping them may avoid DPs. Pedey seems to like the two slot, so let's start with

1. Bogey
    2. Pedey

I've always liked putting our best overall hitter (OBP+SLG) up 3rd, despite all the evidence that kimmi has presented against that idea.

JBJ actually has a better OBP than Betts, and he's just .001 from Betts in SLG. Since Betts is a career 2nd half hitter, I'd go:

3. Betts
    4. JBJ
    5. Moreland

HRam seems to be heating up, so maybe he takes the 5 slot from Moreland before too long, and he's probably a better choice than Beni for the 6 slot. That could also change as the season progresses:

6. HRam
    7. Beni

Until we make a chance at 3B, our catcher should bat 8th and our 3Bman 9th:

8. Vaz/Leon
    9. Lin/Marrero/Pablo/Rutledge (Devers?)

Maybe flip a player or two here and there based on L-R splits. Find a way to get Young in vs LHPs (rest Beni/Moreland?).

Pedey
    JBJ
    Bogey
    Betts
    Moreland
    Hanley
    Beni
    C
    3B
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I don't agree with that lineup although I have no problem with Xander hitting first. I want my guys who get extra base hits up 3rd and later. I would stick Beni up 1st or second in the order and then Betts. After him, take your pick of JBJ or Moreland although JBJ does a little better with lefties than does Moreland. Handley is an open question. If he gets hot, he is good in the 5th slot.
    Beni doesn't get on base enough at this point in his career. I had hoped he'd have won a 1-2 slot by now, and maybe he will be someday, but HRam is close to passing Beni for 6th in OBP on the team.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Beni doesn't get on base enough at this point in his career. I had hoped he'd have won a 1-2 slot by now, and maybe he will be someday, but HRam is close to passing Beni for 6th in OBP on the team.
    Turns out that Bogey is getting a rest tonight although I didn't hear the reason. He definitely is in a mini-slump. A night off may help him get back to the important hitter he has been for us. Lin will play short and it will be interesting to see how well he hits. He did have a decent average in the minors so maybe he can at least provide a fill in alternative as multiple positions. So far he has played a little third and second so now it will be short.

Deity
    At least it is good to see Betts out of the lead off spot. Prefer to see him third but oh well.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Pedey
    JBJ
    Bogey
    Betts
    Moreland
    Hanley
    Beni
    C
    3B
    I misunderstood I guess. Thought that I was seeing that Betts was moved into a position where he might knock a few runs in. My mistake.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I misunderstood I guess. Thought that I was seeing that Betts was moved into a position where he might knock a few runs in. My mistake.
    Moreland was the black hole last night and probably could use a day off but I don't think the Sox haved that luxury. Maybe Travis could fill in if a lefty starts for Toronto.

Mookie leads the team with 13 HR's, 10 of which have been solo shots. Betts should be put in a position where more of these could drive in more runs. Leadoff is not that position.