Register now to remove this ad

Page 102 of 201 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    It's hard to have a lot of confidence in a 28 year old who has been stuck in AAA for 5 years. But it's hard to not be intrigued by seeing how much better he's done this year coupled with the fact he's mad adjustments to his mechanics. As you said he will be up in September, and he will get a few shots then. If he starts smashing the ball at this level things will get pretty interesting.
    In September, he'll either earn a spot for next year's bench or will earn a AAAA qualifier.

He could have a very similar career path to Brandon Moss who also blossomed as a 28 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Just as the Red Sox won two of three from the Mariners in Boston earlier this year.
    Yeah, but that seems like so long ago. That 13 inning walk off loss broke my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    It's hard to have a lot of confidence in a 28 year old who has been stuck in AAA for 5 years. But it's hard to not be intrigued by seeing how much better he's done this year coupled with the fact he's mad adjustments to his mechanics. As you said he will be up in September, and he will get a few shots then. If he starts smashing the ball at this level things will get pretty interesting.
    First they will have to put him back on the 40 man roster. Not saying they won't, but to bring him up, they will have to clear a spot via release or trade.

Right now, the Sox list only 5 oufielders on the 40 man (per MLB.com) and that includes Holt. There are no minor league OFs at all on it.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    First they will have to put him back on the 40 man roster. Not saying they won't, but to bring him up, they will have to clear a spot via release or trade.

Right now, the Sox list only 5 oufielders on the 40 man (per MLB.com) and that includes Holt. There are no minor league OFs at all on it.
    Steve Selsky is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He could have a very similar career path to Brandon Moss who also blossomed as a 28 year old.
    Interesting comp. He could be the right handed version of Brandon Moss.

Corner outfielders who are very productive against LHP usually stick around in the majors for a few years in a platoon situation. They have value. Kind of like Jonny Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Interesting comp. He could be the right handed version of Brandon Moss.

Corner outfielders who are very productive against LHP usually stick around in the majors for a few years in a platoon situation. They have value. Kind of like Jonny Gomes.
    If I'm a "smaller market" ballclub, I'm definitely reaching out to his agent this offseason. He'd be cheap and if he does over-perform, you could spin him off to a contender at the deadline.

If I'm a "smaller market" ballclub, I'm definitely reaching out to his agent this offseason. He'd be cheap and if he does over-perform, you could spin him off to a contender at the deadline.
    Definitely. Small market teams will sometimes platoon two guys in one spot and get really good production out of it. The production might be worth 15 million and yet they are playing both players league minimum. The Rays are good at finding bargains like that.

Steve Selsky is on it.
    He's listed as an infielder on MLB,com, ESPN just lists him as "minors" though they have his position as RF. I guess there a couple guys who could be listed either way, Holt being the other obvious one.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    He's listed as an infielder on MLB,com, ESPN just lists him as "minors" though they have his position as RF. I guess there a couple guys who could be listed either way, Holt being the other obvious one.
    Yeah, where both those sites puts players is weird sometimes. ESPN has Swihart as LF and MLB has him at C.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    And Rusney Castillo just quietly keeps doing what we need - hit - at the AAA level. He is also hitting a few dingers (not as many as Brentz) but he probably is a much better hitter. It's a shame in a way.
    Another 30 year old "tearing up" inferior competition, but this one would count $11 million against the Red Sox luxury tax.
    Last edited by BstHcpr; 07-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Young is 33 (will be 34 in Sept), isn't hitting lefties this year, and is a washed up piece of crap. Brentz made adjustments (isn't the same hitter as last year) and is raking against lefties (over 1.000 OPS against lefties in AAA). I'm not sure why it is taking the Red Sox so long to make this move; though, as someone pointed out, Brentz probably gets called up in Sept when the rosters expand and will be given a shot to replace Young at that time. I would make the move now since we are fighting for the division and need to improve offensive output against lefties.
    Young is struggling vs LHPs this year. I know that's what we have him on the roster for. I get the frustration. I'm not against trading him or finding a better player to spell Beni.

He does have a .708 overall OPS, which isn't horrible. I'd still prefer him over Brentz, but his leash is getting shorter and shorter.

It would be nice, if we could trade Moreland and Young and free up $4M (1/3 of their contract cost for 2017). Then, we could trade for Alonso or some other 1Bman/DH type or someone to platoon with Beni.

People are ragging on Young, but there are plenty other hitters with worse splits than Young.
    vs LHPs
    .621 Young (surprisingly, he's .759 vs RHPs, which is better than many on our team)
    .620 Rutledge (28 PAs)
    .577 Moreland (has 56 PAs vs LHPs)
    .574 Beni (has 62 PAs vs LHPs)

vs RHPs
    .656 Leon
    .600 Vaz (174 PAs)
    .426 Holt
    .412 Marrero (116 PAs)

To me, our biggest issues are not HRam, Young and our catchers' overall value, they are...

1) Beni vs LHPs.
    2) Moreland vs anybody
    3) Bogey's slump
    4) Lack of a power hitter
    5) Our catcher offense

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    Another 30 year old "tearing up" inferior competition, but this one would count $11 million against the Red Sox luxury tax.
    No doubt! but he still might be the best of the bunch. Oh and for the record - I'm the guy who doesn't give a squat about the red sox luxury joke (I meant to say tax) - they were numb enough to sign these guys in the first place. Simply releasing chubby tells me that 50 or so million doesn't really mean much to them. I'm not for bringing him up but he would be ahead of Brentz on my pecking order.

Young is struggling vs LHPs this year. I know that's what we have him on the roster for. I get the frustration. I'm not against trading him or finding a better player to spell Beni.

He does have a .708 overall OPS, which isn't horrible. I'd still prefer him over Brentz, but his leash is getting shorter and shorter.

It would be nice, if we could trade Moreland and Young and free up $4M (1/3 of their contract cost for 2017). Then, we could trade for Alonso or some other 1Bman/DH type or someone to platoon with Beni.

People are ragging on Young, but there are plenty other hitters with worse splits than Young.
    vs LHPs
    .621 Young (surprisingly, he's .759 vs RHPs, which is better than many on our team)
    .620 Rutledge (28 PAs)
    .577 Moreland (has 56 PAs vs LHPs)
    .574 Beni (has 62 PAs vs LHPs)

vs RHPs
    .656 Leon
    .600 Vaz (174 PAs)
    .426 Holt
    .412 Marrero (116 PAs)

To me, our biggest issues are not HRam, Young and our catchers' overall value, they are...

1) Beni vs LHPs.
    2) Moreland vs anybody
    3) Bogey's slump
    4) Lack of a power hitter
    5) Our catcher offense

If Young wasn't so miserable this year, he'd take those LHP ab's away from Beni.

If Young wasn't so miserable this year, he'd take those LHP ab's away from Beni.
    He has been taking them away from Moreland, but now that we have Nunez, I think Young will start playing LF vs LHPs. (I guess they could play Nunez in LF and Young at DH.)

As bad as Young has been vs LHPs, he's still better than Beni vs lefties.

He has been taking them away from Moreland, but now that we have Nunez, I think Young will start playing LF vs LHPs. (I guess they could play Nunez in LF and Young at DH.)

As bad as Young has been vs LHPs, he's still better than Beni vs lefties.
    Beni has less than 100 career PA's against lefties. Isn't that what you refer to as a tiny sample?