Register now to remove this ad

Page 134 of 201 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    How come the best hitter on the team isn't the best hitter on the team?
    Because nothing in baseball is easily predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Is it lack or coaching or hard of listening. We can't know, but it seems that corrections are not being made.
    I don't know oldtimer. Maybe it's not a lack of either, but just that some things are easier said than done.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't know oldtimer. Maybe it's not a lack of either, but just that some things are easier said than done.
    Watching the pitchig to Beni tonight and same with Moreland. Beni had two strikes and probably had to swing at balls close on the outside part of the plate. Both resulted in balls to the third baseman, one for a double play and one for a forceout. Moreland hit a little grounder to third as well again on an outside pitch. The pitcher is cagey but they may get to him on the third time around. Adjust and conquer.

I have more confidence in benintendi figuring out how to punch outside pitchers the other way than Moreland.

Three types of hitters in the majors:

Those that make it happen.

Those that watch it happen.

And those that say what happened?

I think we all know which type Moreland is!

It's not like anyone expected Moreland to be anything but a stop-gap .230 hitting, 20HR, glovey type.

He looks like who he is and what he has been.

Although I have not seen the Gold Glove play yet.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I doubt Moreland is back next year. Maybe we'll look for the next 1 year 1Bman, and hope we guess right like TB did this year.

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    How come the best hitter on the team isn't the best hitter on the team?
    .... because of .... John Farrell? That's my educated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Sure, when in doubt, blame the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    It's not like anyone expected Moreland to be anything but a stop-gap .230 hitting, 20HR, glovey type.

He looks like who he is and what he has been.

Although I have not seen the Gold Glove play yet.
    That's the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I agree about just making more hard contact versus home runs.

I am guessing that his wrist is still injured, at that has led to some poor mechanics/timing. As I said before, I'm not a batting coach, but what you say about wagging the bat makes sense. I wonder why the hitting coaches don't correct this.
    Benintendi also wags his bat. I've been told it's OK as long as the bat is still and in the right position when the pitcher releases the ball or something like that.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Betts leads the team in rbi's, runs, and total bases. This is unsat?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Benintendi also wags his bat. I've been told it's OK as long as the bat is still and in the right position when the pitcher releases the ball or something like that.
    hand movement prior to load is fine and encouraged by many. it keeps the hands "loose". there is absolutely zero wrong with bat waggle.
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    OK, the hitting is a worry. I get it. Heck, I started the thread because I like to panic early.

I am also aware of moonslav's strong opinion that Farrell is the wrong manager, especially as reflected in, he says, at least two bonehead plays every single game.

However, from July 31 to the present the Sox have played 14 games and averaged 6 runs per game and are 12-2 for those games, including a couple or so wins when we did not score 4 or more runs.

On top of that we finally have a true ace in Sale, a great closer in Kimbrel, and the knowledge that Betts, Bogaerts, Ramirez, et al,can hit better than they have been hitting thus far. Nunez and Devers--to my great delight because I never thought they would make much difference--seem finally to have pushed the ghost of Ortiz off stage just enough for this to team to play the way they are capable of. Even without Pedroia. Or Price.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    hand movement prior to load is fine and encouraged by many. it keeps the hands "loose". there is absolutely zero wrong with bat waggle.
    Yup, I've seen a lot of video on waggle this year showing that it can be a great tool for added power if used the right way.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Lots of players have a tendency to wag their bat or some other move but need to be set when the pitch is delivered. I think Beni has a nice approach and does get setl whereas Bogey was not totally set and that may have led to a hitch in his swing. He has shown a good ability to hit most years beforre the all star break and certainly can again by making adjustments. Maybe there are signs of that hasppening which would be excellent for the Sox.

Just a note. The Cardinals starting pitcher was good last night. He had good velocity and his fastball appeared to sink, giving us a long of ground balls and swinging strikes. He also had good location, painting the outside corner to Beni, Moreland and Betts. When he made a mistake coming into Betts on one pitch, Betts got him for a single. Some times you have to tip your hit to a good pitching performance. I expected the third time around the order to improve, but our heroics came mainly in the ninth. Good win and confidence booster.