Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 140 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox hitting??

Hybrid View

Deity

Sox hitting??

Anytime you hit a dry period, you gotta ask. Right now opposing pitchers are finding it too easy to get our guys out, especially with RISP.

One number stands out--8 dingers. That isn't just the fewest for any MLB team, it's just a bit more than half--8 vs. 13--than the team in 29th place. Massive power outage.

The good news is that we probably have a pretty good lineup. I certainly thought so. And it's early--we're just past the 1/10th point into the season.

Good average, but they hit into a lot of doubleplays. For a speedy team + contact, Farrell is waiting for the long ball that probably won't come. They're top 3 in terms of double plays hit into.

The numbers with RISP generally correct themselves. We're getting guys on base, that's not the problem. But the lack of power is.

I don't have the exact numbers, but up until the last 2 games, I believe the Sox were first in BA with RISP with a .335 or something like that. In the last 2 games we've gone 1-12 to drop that BA down to .303.

The offense will be fine.

I really really really hope I'm wrong, but I think the offense is going to be a problem.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I really really really hope I'm wrong, but I think the offense is going to be a problem.
    I hope you're wrong, too. But every AB seems to be a pop-up, or a DP ground ball. I m sure hat both Hanley and Mookie are upper-cutting. Hernandez, Vazquez and Bogaerts are the only ones simply trying to make contact. Hanley's going to hut hims one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    I hope you're wrong, too. But every AB seems to be a pop-up, or a DP ground ball. I m sure hat both Hanley and Mookie are upper-cutting. Hernandez, Vazquez and Bogaerts are the only ones simply trying to make contact. Hanley's going to hut hims one of these days.
    I don't know ... That pop-up Bradley hit yesterday had a bit of carry.

If we continue to be plagued by injuries and illness, the offense could be a problem.

What I'm reading now about Pedroia's knee is a little disconcerting.

But if the team stays relatively healthy, then the offense should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    If we continue to be plagued by injuries and illness, the offense could be a problem.

What I'm reading now about Pedroia's knee is a little disconcerting.

But if the team stays relatively healthy, then the offense should be fine.
    Let's just hope it doesn't become enigmatic.

Jason Mastrodonato‏Verified account @JMastrodonato 52m52 minutes ago

Farrell still thinks Red Sox power issues aren't a concern. Said it's coincidental. Expected slight drop off without Ortiz but not like this.

"Coincidental" is code for 'randomness' for those old school managers.

Farrell still thinks Red Sox power issues aren't a concern. Said it's coincidental. Expected slight drop off without Ortiz but not like this.

Lol. True. It is Manager Speak.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Well yes, but what's he supposed to say? "Holy crap, my guys, the little weenies, can't hit for shit. Screw them."
    You know, the kind of trenchant analysis we fans give of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Well yes, but what's he supposed to say? "Holy crap, my guys, the little weenies, can't hit for shit. Screw them."
    You know, the kind of trenchant analysis we fans give of the situation.
    I am not knocking what Farrell said. I was supporting my opinion about the large degree of randomness in the game of baseball, which many people don't seem to agree with. Pretty much every day you hear or read something abut how baseball is coincidental, quirky, funny, crazy, unpredictable, lucky, etc. In other words, random.

It's still too early to tell how we will be offensively. I think we will be just fine. We are competing for the division right now and struggling against good pitchers which is common at the beginning of the season. This series against the Yankees will bring out the best in this team I am sure of it.

All-Star
    It will be only if Mookie doens't stop waving bat around like it's Flag Day, and start hitting. rom this point on, he would have to hit .340 in order to end the season at .300. That's a helluva drop off from the guy we saw, last year;who was the second most offensive weapon we had.