Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: And with that, I am officially unemployed

  1. #1

    And with that, I am officially unemployed

    Locked the door one last time and turned in my keys. I am out of the telemarketing business... at least for now.

    Wasn't exactly my decision. We got a call last Tuesday that the center I've worked at for the last 5 years is closing. They lost a big client they couldn't replace, and there wasn't enough work left to pay the rent. These things happen.

    Gonna collect myself for a bit then spend some time investigating my options. I'm working on one lead already. Fingers crossed that this transition to the next job is easy and simple this time. Not like last time when it took me FOUR. FREAKING. YEARS to find a job.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

  2. #2
    Sorry to hear that Dojji. I hope the search for your next job goes well.

  3. #3
    You can have my job, it sucks but I make decent money. Sort of. Okay, the money sucks too. When you find a new job, see if they have a spot for me.

    Seriously though, good luck. If you need some glowing references, let me know. I'm happy to fraudulently claim I am a former employer and sing your praises to potential interviewers. It's not technically illegal.


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Locked the door one last time and turned in my keys. I am out of the telemarketing business... at least for now.

    Wasn't exactly my decision. We got a call last Tuesday that the center I've worked at for the last 5 years is closing. They lost a big client they couldn't replace, and there wasn't enough work left to pay the rent. These things happen.

    Gonna collect myself for a bit then spend some time investigating my options. I'm working on one lead already. Fingers crossed that this transition to the next job is easy and simple this time. Not like last time when it took me FOUR. FREAKING. YEARS to find a job.
    Sorry to hear that. What was your role at the firm? Were you in sales?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  5. #5
    I'd just been promoted to team leader, which is the top supervisory role at Logit call centers. Joined the company at the ground floor level and after grinding it out as a bogstandard phone monkey I worked for years as an Assistant Team Leader. Made the jump to the team leader position mostly because the day shift team leader saw the writing on the wall and bailed a month early and I was the guy who had supervisory experience and could be plugged right in one level up to play out the string.

    Our call center was the softer side of telemarketing. Survey research, focused mostly on customer satisfaction surveys. Not bad work really, the biggest problem I had with it was the hot-and-cold nature of the work itself. We'd either be home after 3 hours or constantly pestered (in my case, pestering, because I was a leader) to work extra shifts and come in on days off. There wasn't a lot of consistency at times.

    I'm following one lead, a customer service position with the local home heating company. I'll actually hear back about the possibility of an interview on Friday. Hopefully things move quickly.

    Man, supervising that last shift was weird. Like presiding over your own funeral, especially since I was covering the night shift and that was literally the last gasp.
    Last edited by Dojji; 04-26-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I'd just been promoted to team leader, which is the top supervisory role at Logit call centers. Joined the company at the ground floor level and after grinding it out as a bogstandard phone monkey I worked for years as an Assistant Team Leader. Made the jump to the team leader position mostly because the day shift team leader saw the writing on the wall and bailed a month early and I was the guy who had supervisory experience and could be plugged right in one level up to play out the string.

    Our call center was the softer side of telemarketing. Survey research, focused mostly on customer satisfaction surveys. Not bad work really, the biggest problem I had with it was the hot-and-cold nature of the work itself. We'd either be home after 3 hours or constantly pestered (in my case, pestering, because I was a leader) to work extra shifts and come in on days off. There wasn't a lot of consistency at times.
    It sounds like you built a strong resume. I don't think you will have a problem securing future employment. Good luck to you. Firms are always looking for people with solid managerial experience.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  7. #7
    been there before so I understand the stress. good luck to you. hope you land on your feet fast.
    other names i have posted under: none

  8. #8
    If you can last 5 years in telemarketing, you can do anything. You're Marshawn Lynch at the goal line. You got this Dojji!
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If you can last 5 years in telemarketing, you can do anything. You're Marshawn Lynch at the goal line. You got this Dojji!
    Don't pass the ball.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  10. #10
    Lynch didn't pass the ball. Just saying. You're basically saying "don't have the opportunity for immortality taken away from me without any say in the matter."
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

  11. #11
    Oh. Thought you were gonna say you were let go by ESPN.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  12. #12
    Sorry to hear this Dojji. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

  13. #13
    Man, I thought everybody that posted here don't have jobs! J/K

    If you survive marketing 5 year, you can do anything.

  14. #14
    Sorry to hear this... It's easy to take stuff like this for granted, but hearing this, and seeing the ESPN layoffs sure do keep everything in perspective. I guess now's not the best time to mention that I secured my very first job, a paid internship for the summer.
    University of Connecticut Class of 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Hitting the ball with his nose was the best contact Pedroia has made in 3 games. Who needs Pedey, we have Brock Holt.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Sorry to hear this... It's easy to take stuff like this for granted, but hearing this, and seeing the ESPN layoffs sure do keep everything in perspective. I guess now's not the best time to mention that I secured my very first job, a paid internship for the summer.
    ...and yet, you mentioned it. I guess it was the time!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •