2022: $32M ($31M)

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    These 5 players will cost us this:

2018: $120M ($106M luxury)

2019: $120M ($106M luxury) or $98M ($84M) if HRam's option does not vest

2020: $64M ($45M)

2021: $46M ($45M)

2022: $32M ($31M)

I expect him to get 496 plate appearances or less next year. That option is not going to vest. (To vest, he needs 1050 PA during 2017-18)
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    To me Schilling's postseason numbers scream clutch.
    I agree with that assessment. Schilling was a clutch performer in the postseason. Nothing wrong with a limited claim like that.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    And that is the problem. Everyone has their own recipe so claims of clutch are too subjective to have any real meaning.
    I understand your honest efforts to educate me but you have to understand that I love many things that can not be tracked and proven particularly when it comes to discussions dealing with athletes and athletics. This presents no problem for me. I absolutely love discussing things with people with respect to things like the existence of clutch and clutch players. That is fun for me perhaps because it is so subjective. I get to know people and the way they think this way. I might not agree with them but I listen and respect their feelings and their passion for the games. If things like this were definable in any way statistically, they would hold absolutely no interest for me at all.

Farrell' s aggressive base running philosophy did not help the Sox in game 1 of the ALDS. It actually may have hurt when Pedroia was thrown out at third. Even though the run scored, Pedroia could have remained safely at second and extended the inning with two runners on base. Every out is magnified in the postseason and every potential run lost could impact the final outcome. Yes, the Astros killed our pitching but if the Sox had scored more in the inning the dynamic of the game changes.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I understand your honest efforts to educate me but you have to understand that I love many things that can not be tracked and proven particularly when it comes to discussions dealing with athletes and athletics. This presents no problem for me. I absolutely love discussing things with people with respect to things like the existence of clutch and clutch players. That is fun for me perhaps because it is so subjective. I get to know people and the way they think this way. I might not agree with them but I listen and respect their feelings and their passion for the games. If things like this were definable in any way statistically, they would hold absolutely no interest for me at all.
    I am not saying it has to be defined only by statistics, but there should be some observable evidence and not simply a feeling. The two things are complementary, not in opposition. I don't define a player by numbers alone, but by observing how they play the game and exhibit their baseball smarts. One of my favorite players was Jason Varitek because he always kept his head in the game and did not give up on any play until the final call was made. That will not show up statistically, but it is a critical component of playing the game to the peak of potential.

For starters, there have to be actual results that qualify as clutch. Calling a hitter clutch without results is meaningless. These results may be measurable in some way such as frequency of occurrence. Then we have to establish what level of frequency qualifies as evidence of clutch being an inherent trait. I'm willing to hear suggestions on what percentage of frequency this should be. That is the subjective part but I am open to a reasonable threshold.

I didn't ever say clutch moments didn't exist. I also didn't say clutch players didn't exist. I am only asking for evidence other than personal feelings that they do.
    I asked you what kind of definition or measure would convince you that clutch exists and your answer was very vague. None of our measures satisfy you because they are not definitive enough. You give us a definition that would convince you.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I asked you what kind of definition or measure would convince you that clutch exists and your answer was very vague. None of our measures satisfy you because they are not definitive enough. You give us a definition that would convince you.
    Can you give me a percentage of success in the clutch that you feel is the minimum needed to be called clutch?

But the real issue here is more about defining a player as clutch, which requires more more definitive evidence. I think Ted Williams is a good test subject because he was such a good hitter I would not argue much against calling him clutch. If he is the measuring stick, how many hitters would qualify? I think Williams was so good that he exercised the most control a hitter possibly could in trying to hit safely. But he would also take a walk if the pitch wasn't there and I think that could be part of clutch as well.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&year=0&post=1

Ted Williams sucked in the postseason. Not even one XBH.

Can you give me a percentage of success in the clutch that you feel is the minimum needed to be called clutch?

But the real issue here is more about defining a player as clutch, which requires more more definitive evidence. I think Ted Williams is a good test subject because he was such a good hitter I would not argue much against calling him clutch. If he is the measuring stick, how many hitters would qualify? I think Williams was so good that he exercised the most control a hitter possibly could in trying to hit safely. But he would also take a walk if the pitch wasn't there and I think that could be part of clutch as well.
    What would convince you? Provide a measure that would definitely convince you?

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

What would convince you? Provide a measure that would definitely convince you?
    51% success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&year=0&post=1

Ted Williams sucked in the postseason. Not even one XBH.
    Two factors played against him. He was injured and the opposing team employed a defensive shift against him.

51% success rate.
    In what situations? And 51% is ridiculously extreme. Basically, a player under that measure would need to have an OBP in high leverage situations that would be higher than Ted Williams lifetime OBP. That pretty much invalidates your position as your measure would be impossible to attain.

Two factors played against him. He was injured and the opposing team employed a defensive shift against him.
    Defensive shifts? What are those?

In what situations? And 51% is ridiculously extreme. Basically, a player under that measure would need to have an OBP in high leverage situations that would be higher than Ted Williams lifetime OBP. That pretty much invalidates your position as your measure would be impossible to attain.
    In clutch situations. Clutch situations must exist if clutch performances exist. I thought you already knew all the situations that count in assessing clutch.

It is very possible to attain in small sample sizes. What percentage would you use?