Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 152 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Farrell

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think being a baseball manager is a fairly demanding job, myself, both on and off the field. I sure as hell wouldn't want to try it.
    I agree, but there is this school of thought that lineups, game decisions and base running and fielding coaching don't matter. I think those things are important, but if they are right, I don't see managers having a huge impact on clubhouse chemistry. Also, the clubs have travel secretaries and press secretaries. Why would a manger be needed?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I think being a good manager is kind of a balancing act. In games you have to manage smart and make the right moves but not over-manage. With players you have to support them without letting them take advantage of you.

This piece doesn't offer any great revelations but it does pretty much cover all the pertinent issues with Farrell.
    Ken Rosenthal should be hung by his bowtie. I only posted it as it was a big topic elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    I agree, but there is this school of thought that lineups, game decisions and base running and fielding coaching don't matter. I think those things are important, but if they are right, I don't see managers having a huge impact on clubhouse chemistry. Also, the clubs have travel secretaries and press secretaries. Why would a manger be needed?
    You know that they are not right but it still is fun to the alternative thinkers though.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    You know that they are not right but it still is fun to the alternative thinkers though.
    LOL!! But do they realize what conclusion they are coming to when they take these positions?

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    LOL!! But do they realize what conclusion they are coming to when they take these positions?
    No I actually do not think that they do. You really can't sterilize this game. Probably why i really enjoy listening to the thoughts of Remy, Eck, and the others who have done the job.

That said, FOX’s Ken Rosenthal penned a lengthy column of his own on Farrell’s job security today, noting that while the manager doesn’t necessarily appear to be at immediate risk, there are some Red Sox players that would like to see Farrell defend them more to the Boston media during the team’s struggles. Rosenthal points to the Manny Machado debacle and a more recent dugout altercation with Drew Pomeranz as two instances this season in which Farrell hasn’t looked his best.
    I didn't think that Farrell's handling of the Pomeranz situation would sit well with the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal should be hung by his bowtie. I only posted it as it was a big topic elsewhere.
    I remember when he wrote this gem:
    http://www.talksox.com/forum/threads...ery-white-quot

Dude is a moron

Here's what Kimmi said yesterday: "As far as in game decisions go, managers do not have as big an effect as most people think they do."

I'll have to let her elaborate on the exact meaning of that, but it does leaves some 'wiggle room'.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    LOL I thought you might react that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I remember when he wrote this gem:
    http://www.talksox.com/forum/threads...ery-white-quot

Dude is a moron
    Can't believe he got away with that. If he wrote something like that now he'd be dismissed if not crucified.

Deity
    Can't believe he got away with that. If he wrote something like that now he'd be dismissed if not crucified.
    Many people misinterpreted that article as condemnation that the Sox were a racist organization, but his point was that their lack of diversity would hurt them signing free agents, especially African American ones. He was pretty explicit about this in the article.

And it obviously struck home. The next few off-seasons, the Sox added Mike Cameron and Bill Hall and eventually Carl Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    No I actually do not think that they do. You really can't sterilize this game. Probably why i really enjoy listening to the thoughts of Remy, Eck, and the others who have done the job.
    Of course, often times the insight from those guys is meaningless because their insight flies in the face of what the statistics say.

(Italics is the universally accepted way of indicating sarcasm, right?)
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Many people misinterpreted that article as condemnation that the Sox were a racist organization, but his point was that their lack of diversity would hurt them signing free agents, especially African American ones. He was pretty explicit about this in the article.

And it obviously struck home. The next few off-seasons, the Sox added Mike Cameron and Bill Hall and eventually Carl Crawford.
    You really think our front office started making personnel decisions with help from Ken Rosenthal? That's kind of a scary thought.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Of course, often times the insight from those guys is meaningless because their insight flies in the face of what the statistics say.

(Italics is the universally accepted way of indicating sarcasm, right?)
    got me with the italics stuff SS. i still haven't figured out how to present anything in bold print just yet. lol