Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 152 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 2268

Thread: Farrell

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    By the time these guys are playing for the Red Sox, they have already had about a decade of coaching on how to run the bases. And some of that coaching at high level.

    If Farrell is teaching them the basics of how to run and field at this level, then the last decade of coaching has been a total failure. At this level Farrell and team would be fine tuning a players game. Making them top of the notch players, not little league crap.

    This is on the players. This is rookie league crap we are seeing. Maybe some of these players are over their head and panicking.
    Using that theory, every major league team could save some money by eliminating the first and third base coaches. Dumb base running a fielding is something that good coaching can correct.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  2. #17
    Farrells blue Jays teams ran the bases and played defense like retards too.. its the coach, he's time and time again proven hes a fucking dumb ass.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Using that theory, every major league team could save some money by eliminating the first and third base coaches. Dumb base running a fielding is something that good coaching can correct.
    Players should have at least good fundamentals by the time they are in the big show. When they hit Farrell, players should at least know and be able to execute the fundamentals of both fielding and running without even thinking about it. At the top level they shouldn't be going over basics, and we aren't even seeing basic stuff done well. Farrell shouldn't have his staff talking about when to tag up, or when to hold the ball, or how to take a lead. He should be talking about how to maximize that stuff.

    We aren't even seeing the basics done well from these players. I can't blame Farrell for that.

    If you want to talk about why these players are not remembering the basics when under pressure, I would consider that.

    But blaming Farrell for people thinking a pop fly is going to be called an infield fly rule, or Hanley not seeing Benny at second, or some third baseman throwing away a ball instead of holding on to it, just doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by SoxHop; 05-06-2017 at 12:27 AM.
    Everybody here is out of sight
    They don't bark, and they don't bite
    They keep things loose, they keep things light
    Everybody was dancin' in the moonlight

  4. #19
    I thought they should have canned him during the off-season they let Lovello go. Team looked awesome under Lovello. But they also won the division last year under Farrell, so I think he has at least one more off-season of credit to use up.

    Can't say I'm too happy about it, for reasons that have probably already been covered in this thread and elsewhere.

  5. #20
    If the Red Sox are still playing .500 baseball at the beginning of June, does Farrell get the axe? Can he survive the entire season playing .500 baseball? I don't know--I don't have a good feel for it either way.

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    If the Red Sox are still playing .500 baseball at the beginning of June, does Farrell get the axe?
    He should. The real question is, if we're playing .500 how far behind the Yanks and Birds will we be.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by soxhop View Post
    players should have at least good fundamentals by the time they are in the big show. when they hit farrell, players should at least know and be able to execute the fundamentals of both fielding and running without even thinking about it.
    lol

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    if Hardy catches that routine pop up then it would have been even easier triple play
    not possible based on where these guys were standing. moreland should have been able to take one giant step back to the bag. pedroia was standing on first base. They weren't where they should have been but at most if hardy catches the ball it is one out.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    So on the triple play, please expound on what they (Moreland and Pderoia) should have done. How many times have you not seen a ball like that NOT called the infield fly. And even if it wasn't, how were they supposed to guess that one Hardy or the left fielder wasn't going to catch it? Once the IF wasn't called, the O's were going to get 2 out of that no matter what.

    It was just one of those weird plays that happen. Of all the baserunning issues this year, this one is way, way down the list.
    So you are asking me what they should have done. i like this because it deals with a real baseball question so understand before you blast back at me that i'm just telling you from my own experience what I would have liked to have seen done. First of all you can't just assume that the infield fly rule is going to be invoked on any given play. maybe it should have in this instance but it wasn't. moreland has to be a little off the second base bag, as he was, because you know he isn't tagging up on that ball. Pedroia should have been at least a third of the way up the line. Maybe he gets thrown out going back to the bag if Hardy catches the ball and maybe he doesn't. i'm thinking that maybe JBJ should have just run down the first base line. In any event, when that ball hits the deck, moreland should have been on his way to third - Pedroia on his way to second- Bradley standing on the first base bag. Baltimore gets one out but not two. I don't agree with you that it is way down the list in terms of baserunning mistakes and if people want to blame the coaching staff for this then i guess if we have a group of players who need to be told to run when the ball hits the deck we might be in some trouble.

  10. #25
    I dunno. Ugh. IMO we're putting too much blame on our players for this and not enough blame on the umpires.

    That ball became an Infield Fly the moment the ball was at the peak of it's flight and Hardy called everyone off. The only people on the field who didn't acknowledge that were the umpires.

    These guys have played a lot of baseball and they know an infield fly when they see one. There are some things a player just takes for granted and he doesn't have to look to the umpire for verification - If a ball gets to the base on a force play before the runner does, the runner is out. He gets to go to first base after four balls and he doesn't have to look to the umpire to be sure that's true. My best guess is that these players don't even hear the umpire unless they feel there's some question about what the call will be. I know I didn't when I was playing. That ball was obviously an Infield Fly and they behaved accordingly.

    Holy Hell... I'll even stick up for JBJ. When's the last time you saw a player hit what they knew was an infield fly and then go to first base and stand there, just in case the umpire botched the call?

    I'm not forgiving these players for some of the other gaffes, but I do think those mistakes have made fans more critical of their baserunning skills than necessary.
    Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

  11. #26
    Jeez, enough about that play LOL

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Jeez, enough about that play LOL
    Why - beats the hell out of talking about what the ideal batting order for this team might be. i actually like reading and talking about something that deals with what is going on on the field of play.

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I dunno. Ugh. IMO we're putting too much blame on our players for this and not enough blame on the umpires.

    That ball became an Infield Fly the moment the ball was at the peak of it's flight and Hardy called everyone off. The only people on the field who didn't acknowledge that were the umpires.

    These guys have played a lot of baseball and they know an infield fly when they see one. There are some things a player just takes for granted and he doesn't have to look to the umpire for verification - If a ball gets to the base on a force play before the runner does, the runner is out. He gets to go to first base after four balls and he doesn't have to look to the umpire to be sure that's true. My best guess is that these players don't even hear the umpire unless they feel there's some question about what the call will be. I know I didn't when I was playing. That ball was obviously an Infield Fly and they behaved accordingly.

    Holy Hell... I'll even stick up for JBJ. When's the last time you saw a player hit what they knew was an infield fly and then go to first base and stand there, just in case the umpire botched the call?

    I'm not forgiving these players for some of the other gaffes, but I do think those mistakes have made fans more critical of their baserunning skills than necessary.
    i must have been a bigger a-hole of a coach than i thought I was. i would have gone nuts on this one in the locker room of course. lol

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Why - beats the hell out of talking about what the ideal batting order for this team might be. i actually like reading and talking about something that deals with what is going on on the field of play.
    plus the fact, I'm bored. What else you got? lol

  15. #30
    Other than Sale and Kimbrel and a few others, this team looks like shit. I think there's a pretty good chance Farrell gets the axe if it keeps looking that way much longer. But who is a possible replacement?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •