Register now to remove this ad

Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1200

Thread: Farrell

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Perhaps some of it is also giving Holt the playing time to assess exactly what he will be able to give us. I know he hasn't been that good, but seeing him in the lineup regularly at this point really doesn't bother me. Despite all the days off, some of our guys are banged up. They can use the rest. I'd rather have them rested and fresh at the end of the season.
    Exactly. The guy is trying to come back from concussion/vertigo symptoms that some thought might be career ending. I also think Dombrowski has some input in this.

They were up there. And they had a low XBT%.
    Up there =/= Leading the league
    Devers OPS in BOS: 1.151. Seasoning in AAA is overrated.

Also, they lead the league in runs that year. Maybe XBT% is less important than OOB?

Perhaps some of it is also giving Holt the playing time to assess exactly what he will be able to give us. I know he hasn't been that good, but seeing him in the lineup regularly at this point really doesn't bother me. Despite all the days off, some of our guys are banged up. They can use the rest. I'd rather have them rested and fresh at the end of the season.
    Pedey's been banged up. It took a few days to place him on the DL.

HRam has been limited to mostly DH duty.

Moreland has been playing injured for a while. Bogey has looked tired.

We lost subs, Hernandez & Rutledge, to injuries. Holt missed a lot of time, too.

By and large, compared to normal expectations, we've done great with having very few injuries to non-pitchers. especially starters.

We had 4 days off for the all star break and returned to action on July 14th. We played double header on the 16th and didn't have a day off until July 27th. However, starting with July 27th, we had 5 days off up to August 17th. That's 5 days in 22 days (23% days off) before beginning our crucial match-ups with the Yanks and Indians. That alone should have been enough rest for any young player on our team and most prime age players not battling injuries. This isn't a football team. Nobody should have needed non-injury related rest vs NYY & CLE. Nobody.

Games started since July 27th (21 games in 26 days):

21 JBJ (5 days of rest out of 26 days)
    20 Betts (6 days off out of 26)
    20 Bogey (6/26)
    19 Beni (7 days out of 26 off)
    17 HRam (10 out of 26 off-injured for some)
    14 Moreland (12 out of 26 off- injured for some)
    9 B Holt (17 days off- started more games than Young)
    8 C Young (18 our of 26 days off-including the 2 days off given to Beni)
    2 Pedroia (Out injured 24 of 26 games)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You totally skipped past the point I was trying to make because of your Holt obsession.
    I'm responding to your point about Beni. Yes, it looks like he benefited by sitting, I guess I should have mentioned I understood your point, but why not respond to my counter point about why JF picked Holt to play LF over Young, who did not start those two games at DH?

Beni should have sat 2 games to rest vs a LHP, so Young could play LF not Holt.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm responding to your point about Beni. Yes, it looks like he benefited by sitting, I guess I should have mentioned I understood your point, but why not respond to my counter point about why JF picked Holt to play LF over Young, who did not start those two games at DH?

Beni should have sat 2 games to rest vs a LHP, so Young could play LF not Holt.
    As Kimmi and I have suggested, they seem to be giving Holt extra playing time to try to get him back into game shape, or to see what he has, after missing a lot of time with the kind of injury whose effects can be difficult to assess.

I think part of this is the possibility that they may have to release him and bring up Lin or whoever.

I really don't think it's because JF has a crush on him.

As Kimmi and I have suggested, they seem to be giving Holt extra playing time to try to get him back into game shape, or to see what he has, after missing a lot of time with the kind of injury whose effects can be difficult to assess.

I think part of this is the possibility that they may have to release him and bring up Lin or whoever.

I really don't think it's because JF has a crush on him.
    He's a career .700 hitter who can barely play several positions well enough to not be embarrassed. What's there to "find out?"

Is he back to being the mediocre sub we expected?

Is this the time of the season to experiment?

Shouldn't we also be thinking about helping Young find his stride, particularly against LHPs, but also to see if his new found success vs RHPs is for real? Isn't that a more legitimate thing to assess?

With HRam and Moreland banged up, and Nunez needed at 2B, I'd think getting Young in stride could be vital to this team's success.

Holt is never going to win the 2B job from Nunez, come playoff time. And WOW, in one breath you say we need to play Holt, and then speak of possibly releasing him in the next. I've never hinted that Holt was so bad as to be DFA'd-- traded, maybe, but not DFA'd.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Also, they lead the league in runs that year. Maybe XBT% is less important than OOB?
    No, I'm not sure I can agree with that. That would be like saying that stolen base % is less important than stolen bases.

They led the league in runs that year despite their poor baserunning.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    And WOW, in one breath you say we need to play Holt, and then speak of possibly releasing him in the next. I've never hinted that Holt was so bad as to be DFA'd-- traded, maybe, but not DFA'd.
    It's not uncommon to play guys to see what they have left knowing if they don't look good you'll probably have to release them (like Sandoval). I just mentioned it as a possibility, that's all. It's speculation.

It's not uncommon to play guys to see what they have left knowing if they don't look good you'll probably have to release them (like Sandoval). I just mentioned it as a possibility, that's all. It's speculation.
    I think they know what Holt can do. I guess they may have wanted to see, if he was over the effects of his health issues. That's a fair point, especially with Pedey's playing time at 2B in doubt.

I just think it is Young who needs playing time. He's a lefty-killer normally, and needs to find his stride. With out OF locked in, any time an OF'er rests or a DH is needed, I feel it should be Young- not Holt.

No, I'm not sure I can agree with that. That would be like saying that stolen base % is less important than stolen bases.

They led the league in runs that year despite their poor baserunning.
    And the Sox are in 1st place this year despite their poor baserunning.

Holt is fine on the roster. I think they just need to bring Lin up and drop one of their relievers. Having 13 pitchers is overkill imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    and the sox are in 1st place this year despite their average baserunning.
    ftfy

Their base running is horrendous except for Mookie.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

I agree with you always 100%
    ftfy