Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Farrell

Double A
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    So you are asking me what they should have done. i like this because it deals with a real baseball question so understand before you blast back at me that i'm just telling you from my own experience what I would have liked to have seen done. First of all you can't just assume that the infield fly rule is going to be invoked on any given play. maybe it should have in this instance but it wasn't. moreland has to be a little off the second base bag, as he was, because you know he isn't tagging up on that ball. Pedroia should have been at least a third of the way up the line. Maybe he gets thrown out going back to the bag if Hardy catches the ball and maybe he doesn't. i'm thinking that maybe JBJ should have just run down the first base line. In any event, when that ball hits the deck, moreland should have been on his way to third - Pedroia on his way to second- Bradley standing on the first base bag. Baltimore gets one out but not two. I don't agree with you that it is way down the list in terms of baserunning mistakes and if people want to blame the coaching staff for this then i guess if we have a group of players who need to be told to run when the ball hits the deck we might be in some trouble.
    You're making too much sense! LOL I can't believe all the bootlickers out here saying Pedroia had no chance either way. Isn't he supposed to be the most heads-up player in the league? Get off the bag and run when the ball hits the ground. I never liked Farrell - to me he's just Francona 2.0 - Soft on his players and often wrong with his relief choices. You come back from a 3-1 deficit in the 9th and tie it up, put your damn closer in and keep the pressure on. But the crappy hitting is on the GM, He swapped Papi for Moreland when Encarnacion was out there for an affordable contract. WE just gotta hope Price returns and is lights out to counter our anemic defense, coaching, baserunning, and power.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by georom4 View Post
    You're making too much sense! LOL I can't believe all the bootlickers out here saying Pedroia had no chance either way. Isn't he supposed to be the most heads-up player in the league? Get off the bag and run when the ball hits the ground. I never liked Farrell - to me he's just Francona 2.0 - Soft on his players and often wrong with his relief choices. You come back from a 3-1 deficit in the 9th and tie it up, put your damn closer in and keep the pressure on. But the crappy hitting is on the GM, He swapped Papi for Moreland when Encarnacion was out there for an affordable contract. WE just gotta hope Price returns and is lights out to counter our anemic defense, coaching, baserunning, and power.
    It's almost like things have to be scripted for Farrell when it comes to game decisions. I might be a little softer on him for playing it so closely to what the current trends are if as a team they looked like they really new what was going on. Sometimes you just do what it takes to win the game.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by georom4 View Post
    Have to agree with one point here - crappy hitting is patially on the GM. His whole off-season philosophy was contradictory. " We're going all in to win a title this year!!! But without spending money!"

Double A
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Have to agree with one point here - crappy hitting is patially on the GM. His whole off-season philosophy was contradictory. " We're going all in to win a title this year!!! But without spending money!"
    I still think we will be in the thick of the playoff race just because of the pitching...I loved the Sale move but I still don't get the no interest in Encarnacion. That guy has given us fits in our ballpark. He wouldve been a sweet pickup for 3 years

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Maybe it's time he had a thread of his own. I started one last year primarily to defend his in-game decisions but also to encourage discussion. I did say--several times--that the only sensible criteria for managers are their won-lost record and whether the team was performing to its potential.

2012-2016, the Arizona Diamondbacks, did not have single winning season even though twice they broke even at 81-81. This year they are playing winning ball with a new guy named Lovullo at the helm. For now, anyway, it's probably fair to say that Lovullo is doing a good job.

I'm not so sure Farrell is. It's still early in the season, of course, and the Sox are two games above .500 and 3 games out of 1st place in the AL East. If the season ends right now, the Sox would not be in the playoffs, however. That to me is under performance even though it's still early in the season.

Last year the pitching was barely adequate. But right now the pitching is 3d best (ERA) in MLB, which is better than it's been in years. Sale is a real ace, and Porcello, Pomeranz, and ERod are doing fine if not great. Price's return--hopefully before this decade is over--will help even more. The bullpen, especially Kimbrel, is good. So to me DD has done his job and given Farrell a pretty good pitching staff.

Not so the hitting--which is a big surprise to me. I definitely did not think the absence of Ortiz would have this effect. The Sox right now are 26th in MLB in runs scored and tied with the giants for dead last in dingers. Last year the Sox were 1st in runs scored and 9th in home runs. Oh, and right now we have the second highest GIDP rate in MLB--only Houston is worse. I'm not sure any of the weak hitting is Farrell's fault, however.

The Sox are top of the heap in errors with 26, and that doesn't include bonehead plays--like a pitcher not covering 1B on a grounder to the right--when no error is charged. Our outfield has pretty good range, I think, but not the infield. Our DER (whatever that means) is .687, ranked 20th in MLB.

And our baserunning is atrocious. 60 or so years ago when the Dodgers were in Brooklyn, they had an outfielder named Babe Herman, renowned for his zaniness. One time he hit a gapper with men on first and second, and all three of them ended up on third base together. The story goes that a month or so later a Dodger fan is leaving Ebbets field in the 7th inning and catching a cab to an appointment. The cabbie asks how the "Bums" are doing, to which the fan replies, "great. When I left they had three guys on." To which the cabbie asked, "oh, yeah, which base?" Right now our guys are capable of plays like that.

I blame those last two on Farrell because I think it's his job to ensure our guys are good at the fundamentals of fielding the ball, throwing the ball, and running the bases.

For those who believe the Sox have been temporarily screwed by a brutal early schedule, let me remind you that right now only 5 teams in the AL have losing records, and 3 of them are out West. We have played two NL teams, the Cubs with a winning record and the Pirates with a losing record. Oh, and the Sox so far have played 18 home games and just 10 on the road. If anything, we have had a soft schedule.
    A fair presentation, Max.

I am completely bewildered at the base running oopses. At first I thought, "Oh well, they are just being aggressive." But very quickly they were running themselves out of scoring opportunities and we all know how dear those moments are - again surprisingly so.

Lovullo may be the missing element. We saw the how he helped the young players when Farrell was out for treatment a couple seasons ago. Alas, too late to use his emphasis.

I am wondering if there was a certain amount of taking the season for granted in the clubhouse after we traded for Sale. There was about two months for the feeling that the Sox were the next "inevitable" winner. We saw very quickly that the pitching staff wasn't as in shape as usual ... Thornburg went down, Price went down, now Wright is out (I know that isn't necessarily related ... but he was a good part of the planned rotation) ...

The focus on Panda seemed to have good results to begin with, but he seems to have fallen off and maybe for good.

But there didn't seem to be the same hunger as some years. Were we over-satisfied?

I am hoping we get that edge back. I love this team and its potential but we are struggling in fundamentals. It reminds me of the bungling defenses in the '60s. We have good players but the crispness and single-mindedness (focus?) needs to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    lol
    Sloppy ass late night tired writing by me............

Still. Blaming all this bad running to me is just not right I beleive. And no, I'm not a Farrell fan, I wanted him gone since he pitched to Cruz two years ago with no one on first and the game tied in the ninth I think. No manager would do that...... that was my breaking point with him....
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    By the time these guys are playing for the Red Sox, they have already had about a decade of coaching on how to run the bases. And some of that coaching at high level.

If Farrell is teaching them the basics of how to run and field at this level, then the last decade of coaching has been a total failure. At this level Farrell and team would be fine tuning a players game. Making them top of the notch players, not little league crap.

This is on the players. This is rookie league crap we are seeing. Maybe some of these players are over their head and panicking.
    Spot on post.

Farrell does share part of the blame/responsibility for how our team is playing, but the majority of this poor play falls on the players' shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Players should have at least good fundamentals by the time they are in the big show. When they hit Farrell, players should at least know and be able to execute the fundamentals of both fielding and running without even thinking about it. At the top level they shouldn't be going over basics, and we aren't even seeing basic stuff done well. Farrell shouldn't have his staff talking about when to tag up, or when to hold the ball, or how to take a lead. He should be talking about how to maximize that stuff.

We aren't even seeing the basics done well from these players. I can't blame Farrell for that.

If you want to talk about why these players are not remembering the basics when under pressure, I would consider that.

But blaming Farrell for people thinking a pop fly is going to be called an infield fly rule, or Hanley not seeing Benny at second, or some third baseman throwing away a ball instead of holding on to it, just doesn't make sense to me.
    I'm with you all the way bro.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Spot on post.

Farrell does share part of the blame/responsibility for how our team is playing, but the majority of this poor play falls on the players' shoulders.
    Farrell needs to hold them accountable, that's where his fault lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    Farrell needs to hold them accountable, that's where his fault lies.
    I can agree with that.

Nobody knows what goes on the clubhouse, but with Francona you always had the sense he had the players' backs. Farrell is a complete mystery in that regard. That's one of the reasons I really have no idea if he's a good manager or not. He's won a World Series and 2 division titles, but he's also finished last 4 times.

For all you stat loving people out there, the Sox rank dead last in the majors in BsR or baserunning runs. The team's BsR is -9.4. In contrast, the DBacks are the best with +11.6.

That said, the statement that Farrell's teams have always been bad base running teams is false.

Major Leaguer
    Spot on post.

Are you actually saying players play and managers manage? Shocking ....

For all you stat loving people out there, the Sox rank dead last in the majors in BsR or baserunning runs. The team's BsR is -9.4. In contrast, the DBacks are the best with +11.6.

That said, the statement that Farrell's teams have always been bad base running teams is false.
    It is not uncommon that his teams run the bases like they don't understand baseball rules. Ask Omar Vizquel.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Major Leaguer

Good stat presentation - not that it's good we are last. But it does point out Lovullo's aggressiveness. He's making his mark right now and doing it well. I don't hesitate to point out Farrell did quite well in his first year in the big chair. He was considerably more aggressive than Tito had been. (I am and always will be a Tito fan.)

By now Farrell is quite safe, in his own mind, IMO. He got the extension. He has an ALE crown from last season. He beat cancer. He had the three horsemen for starters until Price came up lame. He isn't panicking, worried or on the hot seat.

I didn't say that the running errors were Farrell's fault. Pedey has run into enough outs over the years with his aggressive play that I expect him to have some each year. I'm not sure if Hanley ought to be trying to steal but if he still likes the idea of having speed ... much better than just dogging it. It's when they are all added up that they seem to be a little unlucky, at best. Season is still young-ish, so I think these mistakes will level out.